Zoom live performance audio setting

This thread is full of interesting information. I understand that jamming around the world is not possible because of the network delays.

I have a friend who is about 100 km away from me, is that a better use case and which software should I use ?

1 Like

100km may be doable. It will depend on the network between you.

Note that, for online jamming, you really need to use headphones for listening and a microphone so you can talk to each other is really useful.

I would start with Jamulus, and check out of thereā€™s a server local to you that you can use.

Note you will still get some latency, it really depends how much you are happy to put up with. Read the Jamulus docs for best advice on set up.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Thanks @Majik . Iā€™ll try it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have just noticed that Jamulus now has an Android client.

It occurs to me that it should be possible to join a jam with just a Nux MP-3 (or similar) cabled to a phone, and a headset.

I might try that out when I get home. Iā€™ll need to get a headset first.

Personally, I donā€™t really see that much benefit in having video for jamming, especially as the sync is probably going to be off.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

I did check this out, and fell at the first hurdle. The GUI doesnā€™t seem to work very well on mobile platforms, and I found I couldnā€™t select the audio interface.

But then I also RTFM:

Although you can install Jamulus on Android devices (and hear sound), we strongly recommend not doing so. Sound quality - especially over WiFi - is usually bad and latency is high.
ā€¦
Android support is just a proof of concept.

So that got removed fairly quickly.

I did have a quick go of Jamulus with my MP-3 on an (empty) local server which was giving me around 10ms ping time and, with a bit of tweaking, got it working.

The main thing is to configure the audio interface (in my case, the Nux MP-3) so that you arenā€™t directly hearing yourself, and are getting your audio back from the server. This took me a little playing to get right on the MP-3 as it wasnā€™t really obvious to me how to do this, until I worked out what the USB settings were doing.

After that, it seemed to work, although the audio was occasionally choppy. Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s due to Xruns or network conditions or, maybe, something else, but I will investigate that.

At the moment thereā€™s a few Jamulus servers close to me, but all are currently empty (maybe because it was Monday afternoon when I tried).

Cheers,

Keith