10 Life-Changing Hacks

Very sorry to hear about your dog Toby :frowning: hug

Rest very interesting, and Iā€™ll look up the loo bok :slight_smile:

BTW did the lesson for Todd couple of days ago - very nice chap :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you and yours buddy!!

1 Like

Cheers Andy!

"nutrition insuranceā€™ is a great way to put it :slight_smile:

Great that you found your path and stuck with it too! I think the finding our way is the key thing, but I learn from others sharing so hoping to keep passing it along :slight_smile:
Merry Xmas!

Oh see - I can do an ice bath, but I canā€™t go without chocolate or biscuits!! :slight_smile:

And giving up social media is hard when its your job kinda. :slight_smile:

Merry Xmas! J

Thanks. Great, practical and honest suggestions. At mid fifties i am just beginning to realise the real importance of these things. Highly recommend cold showers if you can battle through the initial psychological block. The positive physical and mental buzz after is quite something. Learning guitar has also been a revelation to me. It has become a form of mediation I think and has led to me ā€œattempting toā€ sing along (well away from other peoples ears) :slight_smile: and that to seems to help mentally irrespective of ability
Thanks Justin

Can you translate that for those in the states? :slight_smile:

I think thereā€™s something wrong with me :roll_eyes:
I do not spend my time thinking how I might become a better/healthier/happier person.
As Popeye says: ā€œI yam what I yam!ā€ :muscle:
I am aware of how lucky and privileged I am and prefer to spend my philosophising time trying to understand how nature works and what makes us humans tick (individually as well as societies).
I find it much more rewarding to focus on the here and now rather than make goals for the future (although of course I do).
Iā€™m always happy for people who enjoy benefits from believing in a particular guru/religion/lifestyle, but they are often interchangeable. I enjoyed watching this video as well as reading othersā€™ thoughts.
Living your happiest, healthiest life is quite simple really (and most of us know it) -

• Take regular exercise
  • Eat a healthy, balanced diet (including getting the energy from as close to the sun as possible: unprocessed plants> processed plants> low food chain animals> high food chain animals)
  • Avoid excess (esp. with chemical indulgences)
  • Be kind to those around you

Easier said than done of course and no guarantee of health or happiness, but it will give you the best chance of them.
Iā€™m off to put some excess in my belly nowā€¦ Then play some guitar :smiley:

4 Likes

Nothing wrong Brian, that is the epitome of suchness. It is what it is. Simples.
There is only just this one moment, right here right now.
_/_

1 Like

Hi Justin, thank you so much for this. Some really useful tips there which I plan to implement, especially meditation - really want to give this a go and just tried a basic 10-min starter video. I currently have Covid and holed up, but this has at least inspired me to pick up the guitar again after about 6 months. Iā€™m currently learning This Guyā€™s In Love With You - such a beautiful song. All the best for Christmas and the New Year. Kind regards, Stephen.

Justin, thanks so much for sharing these suggestions. Iā€™m going to definitely give some of these a go. I have tried meditation before and have taken martial arts for years. But your video is helping to motivate me to refocus on these two things for 2023! Going to also try the cold shower ideaā€¦ weā€™ll see how that goes lol. Stoicism is intriguing to me and Iā€™ll be checking that out. And of course playing guitar ainā€™t gonna stop! So Iā€™m on board for 50% so far! :sunglasses:

Be kind to those around you

To expand on that point, learn to be kind to yourself as well. Many of us speak to ourselves in a way that we wouldnā€™t even speak to sworn enemies. Weā€™ll curse at ourselves and tell others what an idiot we are for doing anything thatā€™s slightly less than optimal. It does nothing for your mental wellbeing and sense of worth if youā€™re always on your own back. In my experience itā€™s what leads to frustration and quitting activities such as learning to play guitar. It also can mean that you wonā€™t try new things because your expectation is that youā€™ll fail

1 Like

Great advice, Justin. Advice that, if followed, will have incredible benefits as we age, as I can personally attest. A few years back, I began having difficulty with balance and tremors. Still, with a lifetime of meditation and exercise, keeping fit and mentally engaged with oneā€™s philosophy of life, I was already miles ahead of many others giving me the stamina to carry forward adjusting my routines to fit my current abilities. From your list, playing guitar is numero uno and truly is its own meditation. I started at age 60 with an inexpensive acoustic two years ago, hoping to find that playing helps with dexterity and reduces my tremors. It worked, it really does work, and I am making slow progress (I just got the framework and chords for ā€œCinnamon Girlā€ down) and am following your lessons and Youtube videos which have given me a purpose and a way to have FUN painting soundscapes that inspire me. My next goal is a new electric guitar. Thank You, Justin. Youā€™ve helped me tremendously. Cheers

Hi People,

Iā€™ve talked to many doctors in my life for many years , and they all advise against multivitamins for multiple reasons.I have spoken to and read many independent researchersā€¦there are many research and consumer programs Iā€™ve seen (some weeks ago the last one) and all of them advise against multivitamins for multiple reasonsā€¦ ā€¦That Ag1 stuff is also more expensive than different stuff that you could also use (donā€™t do it, but this is really a waste of your money)ā€¦I help many people around me with healthy food /life when they asked ,ā€¦but I just tear down multivitamins without being asked :innocent:,ā€¦please donā€™t support this industry Justin and promote good/ real food and these things that are chemically twisted together for the sake of there own money/ business to get more and more,ā€¦if you think it really helps you, better keep it to yourself because youā€™re really doing a lot of people no favors with it,ā€¦

In case of serious deficiencies and your doctor says you have to take something, of course, but here in the Netherlands no doctor prescribes multivitamins and that is for a reasonā€¦

For the rest it is great to see and hear that you are doing so well,ā€¦you deserve it :bouquet: :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Some of these hacks I know but I also learned a few things. My goal for 2023 is to learn guitar. This is something Iā€™ve wanted for so long and I am struggling but to create music feels like something I need to do for myself. I might add a last life hack that I think you may be able to get behind and thatā€™s share life with a dog. Dogs know how to live life. They are always in the now, they embrace joy, and they give love and receive love freely.

2 Likes

Hi Justin

I have really loved your mail. I had the feeling it was just written for ME.I have followed your lessons ( although I am not very good at playing the guitar)Yet I do have a solid music background and have offered my services to you for helping out translate songs and bring my experience to you and your team but it did not work out for computer reasons that I did not understand.
Thank you for this reflection on life and your advice to try and improve our life style.I do share all the suggestions you made.
I wish I could meet with you once in my life, because I have the feeling we could become great friends .I have lived in Guidford(Surrey) once in my life and now in BlƩriot (France) best wishes Dom

Iā€™m with you on this one @roger_holland. Unless you have a real (diagnosed) deficiency multivitamins only serve to make your wee expensive.
In some cases they can do real harm - my wife has hemochromatosis and before diagnosis the iron in the multivitamins she was taking was the worst thing for her.

Apart from that Justin all great advice thanks. I find that riding my motorbike is a great way to de-stress and get that ā€˜now Iā€™m livingā€™ feeling.

Holy cow Batman. This topic has really brought in a lot of new people. And very welcome you all are.

Hello and the warmest of welcomes to:

@roberts @Pete66 @robnsonm @billgrace0 @rccampain @Deban @scofos01 @Monkeyboy11 @Guitarman64 @lucas777 @dfwhippet @Cammy_63 @Daf @pfote @Jrock @signon77 @jboddenVT @Rob_Justin @malckier @Steve2000 @Seansalins @Tedstieg @StevieLyons @DOM

Having arrived on the back of a philosophical ride I hope that you now stick around and join in with the musical aspects of the community too.

@Patthebunny Iā€™m aware of, but have not personally studied, Alexander Technique for many years. My eldest brother spent a number of years training as a teacher of the technique in London.

1 Like

I watched the video earlier today. Thanks Justin for sharing all of the wellness tips.

Welcome to the forum. Thatā€™s a great goal for 2023. We are all her to help and support you along your journey in learning guitar. Looking forward o see the artist you will become.

Echoing what Richard said. I was surprised how many first timers are here. Welcome to the Justin Guitar family for all of the newcomers. We are here with you along the journey. Best of luck.

I would like to add slow down and take time to take care of yourself. Spend time in nature. Close your eyes and listen to the world around you.
Do some volunteer work. I got involved in habitat restoration (removing invasive plants and replacing with native plants). It allows me exercise, fresh air and is for a good cause.
I am very grateful to have started with Justin Guitar. I am enjoying the journey.