12 Bar Blues in 12 Keys

Learn to see the I, IV and V chords visually grouped together on the fingerboard and move between them! An absolutely essential skill if you want to play the blues.

View the full lesson at 12 Bar Blues in 12 Keys | JustinGuitar

I must be missing something so let me ask. Playing in the key of C and starting on the C root on the 5th string 3rd fret, why do you go to the F (4 chord) on the sixth string 1st fret (with the extra stretch required)? Isn’t it just as easy, or easier stretch wise, to go to the F on the 3rd fret on the 4th string, and then the G, 5th fret 4th string, replicating the same pattern as you would if you were starting on a 6th string root?

It’s a good question. I believe (I haven’t watched that video for some time) that Justin is only teaching 5th and 6th string root shapes for these blues rhythm chords and that is that way I’ve usually seen it taught. Not sure why 4th string root chords seem to be left out, perhaps for the difficulty of muting strings 5 and 6 when using the 4th string root shape?

The solution to your specific example is to play C on a the 8th fret of the 6th string and play F and G on the 5th string (frets 8 and 10). Of course, you don’t get the low G and F notes when playing it this way, so it also depends on the specific sound you are going for.

That was cool.

I think it is generally thought that lower sounds better when it comes to root notes.

And learning notes on 2 strings is probably easier than 3 for starters.

You can totally do that but the reason why it’s played on the 6th string usually is because the chords are “compliment”-ing the blues melody(solo), and tend to clash with the melody because the pitches are so close. By playing it on the 6th string, it also acts as bass, and playing the 12 bar blues on the 4th string sounds “naked”-ish. That said, you can do whatever you want, and using the 4th string can help you memorize the notes on the 4th string so I would say go for it!