12 Bar Chord Sequence Variations

This lesson covers the main variations on the chord sequence. Makes transcribing lots easier if you know what the most common forms are!!

View the full lesson at 12 Bar Chord Sequence Variations | JustinGuitar

Are there tabs for this? He mentioned posting the music in the video but I haven’t come across anything. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Matt the backing track and chord chart are right below the video on the website.

Thanks, I jumped over from youtube and didn’t see them.

Hi! At 9:48, why Justin goes three frets below and not two? And it seems i understand he says “E” but the key is a B, no? I am french, so perhaps i misunderstood what he said :slight_smile:
Thank you for your help!

Welcome to the forum Thibault

At 9:48 Justin is playing a D power chord Root on the A string then going down to an E power chord Root on the open E string to F power chord to F# power chord ending on the G dower chord
At the 9:00 minute mark he says “you can do it from a 5th string root” that’s where he changes to the D chord

Hi stitch. Thank you very much!

Hi. Can anyone help me out with one of the variations Justin lists, but doesnt include in the video?

He says;

“V to IV 1st inversion (commonly used in bar 10 is V chord in 1st inversion, which makes the bass go up a tone from the IV chord. Very cool, I love the sound of this)”

Is there a typo in there? It seems to contradict first saying V to VI 1st inversion then saying it’s the V chord that is in 1st inversion.

Any help and preferably a TAB of those couple bars would be awesome!

Thank you!

I don’t know the answer, but just thinking out loud…

If we’re in D, then we are playing A → G in bars 9 → 10. If you play the 1st inversion of G, that would be the notes B-D-G, which you can play 755xxx. This would raise the bass note a tone in going from the V to the IV. This would fit Justin’s description, if you rewrote it like this:

I have no idea, though, if that’s what @JustinGuitar had in mind.

Thanks jjw1 that makes perfect sense!

1 Like