14.10.23 Rockin' Blues in C

ROCKIN BLUES IMPROV/ SOLO
C7-F7-G7

Well, what a cracking backing track this one is to play over. I’ve been doing alot of study, practice, experimentation etc in recent months on chord tone targeting, playing the changes, colour tones, triads, arpeggios etc, in soloing - in particular, blues soloing. Its tough at times, a seemingly long road at times, but feel I’m making some pretty good progress, and reaping some rewards along the way.

Well, there’s not alot that here in this piece :nerd_face:.

This one is about letting go a bit, just having some fun, and revisiting some straight pentatonic playing. This one is pretty much pure pentatonic/ blues scales, and is inspired from a great lesson by Rusty from Rusty Guitar.
I’ve basically selected 2 areas of the fretboard where some BB type major/ minor shapes sit nicely next to each other.
No real conscious chord tone targeting, playing triads, etc etc. Just picking that tonic C note, and playing around it using the ear.
So relying a lot on phrasing, bends, and slides of different types and lengths etc, to mix it up a bit. A couple of bends a tad sour here and there, but more experience I think will iron these out over time.
Of course, if I did it 10 times in a row, I’d get a different variation each time. And this is why filming yourself is so valuable. I can watch through some of these improvs I do, and go “what was that cool little section,lick, run etc there. What did I do there? I think I’ll put that one in my back pocket”. So much fun, you can seriously get lost in time for quite a while.
I also feel that my focus on chord based soloing, chord tone targetting lately has really infused this more straight pentatonic style.
It could be said that a bit more breathing space may be warranted here and there, but, for this iteration at least, its hold your breath and hang on baby! :rofl: As usual, any comments, feedback tips etc welcome.

Cheers, Shane

18 Likes

Fabulous rocking, rolling ride, Shane. I am ever so partial to a serving of more boogie-woogie rock n roll mixed that is a little less bluesy.

I didn’t really feel a lack of breathing space given the vibe and feel of the backing and the style.

Can’t offer anything on the technique, all sounds good to me … bends, vibrato, the licks and lines, and tone.

You really are making great progress. In terms of that progress, would you be able to join a band jamming now live, listen to the chorus, and then jump in and play in the moment? I’d imagine given your focus that might be the ‘true north’, even if it is unlikely to become reality?

Now I think I’ll treat myself to a second listen :sunglasses:

1 Like

That was great. My feet was tapping and my head was bopping. You cannot ask more from music than that. Long live Rock. Watching your video I like the way you do the soloing. I am looking forward to the blues lesson (my next lesson) to see if I can get this good.

1 Like

Hey David. Thanks for the listen and the kind words.
The pleasing aspect of this intense study into chord based soloing, is that it seems to have greatly enhanced my pentatonic type playing. Of course, my ultimate goal is the organic melding of all these tools - scales, note palettes, triads, arpeggios, and more generally chord based playing, into one musical performance. Of course, Im still at the foundational level of this years’ Iong endeavour, but am happy to be on the road.
So, I’m getting ‘mildly’ confident in jumping in on a 145 and finding my way OK. In fact, its currently a practice item on my schedule.

Cheers Shane

1 Like

Thanks for the listen, and the kind words Tony.
Enjoy your intro into the blues mate. Be warned though; it can become quite addictive :nerd_face:.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Dude you ROCK… that was a fantastic rockin’ blues improv… I’m just getting on the learning roller coaster of blues inprov/soloing… you’re light-years ahead of me so not much meaningful feedback I can give you… so I’ll just say well done and look forward to more as you inspire me on my blues learning adventure.

1 Like

Loved that Shane - played with great feeling.

I think that sometimes, over-emphasising playing the changes all the time can make blues/rock lose its edge a bit, and for some styles, a more pentatonic based approach is appropriate. I think this backing track is one of those, and you captured the feel really well.

1 Like

Hi Shane,
That was more than enough breathing in between :grin:, I wouldn’t have skipped a note myself. :grin:… I know there are plenty of people who think differently, but there are trillions of solos that go on for minutes at this pace… if it’s good, it’s good. …and this was good :clap: :sunglasses: :clap: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :clap: and a killer backing track,
Greetings

1 Like

Well that provided a wonderful distraction from my mid afternoon recording failures, currently take 32 and counting. Heck what’s not to like. That was a rip snorting energetic BT and you served it well. Some lovely licks, phrases, motifs and repeaters. The only thing I would add you already mentioned but shoot I had an oxygen tank on standby but it wasn’t needed.

Thank you Shane, now back to the grind for me !!

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Rocktastic Shane. Super play there up and down the fretboard. Well done, I thoroughly enjoyed that performance.

1 Like

Hi
I would actually like to add one more thing… when people ask me what I want to play I always say ‘the blues’ to Justin I said that too and then I got some tips (which I already knew and tried (still) ) but what I always forget to say that I want to learn to play ‘Blues-Rock’… So this I want…
or ROCKIN`Blues :grin: in C-D-E-F-G-A or B :smile: :sunglasses:
Thanks and greetings

1 Like

Another fab relaxed performance, Shane :sunglasses:
… but if this is not really my go-to style of music why am I asking myself if I should start lead/blues guitar?
Why am I thinking I need a Tele-style axe?
Get behind me, Satan!

2 Likes

@Socio @twistor59 @TheMadman_tobyjenner @roger_holland @sairfingers @brianlarsen

Much appreciated guys. Thanks for the listen. Apologies for the group reply, but I’d just be repeating myself.
Was cetainly alot of fun this track.

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes

Nice one Shane you’re really doing well at this! I didn’t really hear anything wrong about what you’ve played maybe a couple of things I might have done differently but hey that’s a personal thing and no reflection at all on your performance. Keep at it, it’s definitely paying off.

1 Like

Dude, that was great. Really fit the backing track, Upbeat. Loved the repeated sections and the themes throughout - how you kind of told a story and changed the theme you were playing so it didn’t get boring.

Not noticeable to this guitarist’s ears. Would really have to go hunting.

Understatement of the year Shane, you look super comfortable playing lead and I reckon would be great at a jam. Maybe its the confident part rather than the skill part. Your lead chops are awesome.

2 Likes

A little late to the party, but anyways:

It’s always a pleasure to listen to your improvs, Shane! :clap: :smiley:

That was rocking along so nicely and you seem to be so calm and relaxed while doing, it’s actually also a pleasure to watch, too. The way you build up the track and how it’s aligned to the BT is amazing. Tone spot on, too. Great stuff - no more I can add. :sunglasses:

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks JK. Much appreciated. Its a rockin’ track, that’s for sure. Some bends were a tad sour here and there - harder to nail every one higher tempos. Something I’m working on.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Thanks for the listen, and kind words Lisa.
Certainly a fun track to play over.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Cool!

That got me rockin Shane. Rusty sure has some great tips for solo leads too.
I see some practice coming up for me after this. Love to get that rhythm going.