3NPS Major Scale Pattern 1

View the full lesson at 3NPS Major Scale Pattern 1 | JustinGuitar

someone help me here…There is no way that my fingers will stretch far enough to do this. I can barely stretch 4 frets. I’ve some stretching exercises but I don’t seem to ever gain at all

1 Like

Me either. You either need to remove your first finger from the 3rd fret and move your hand, or stick to the CAGED scale patterns!

I moved the whole thing down frets until I could almost do it. When I stretch I can almost get it.
Makes a good stretch. I’ll keep doing this for a couple weeks and see if I can move the exercise up a fret.

Dave

Have you learned and extensively used the CAGED major scale patterns in many creative ways to make music?
If yes, you will have learned many things including the idea that patterns merge with invisible boundaries and moving freely between them leads to good things.
So it is here. The patterns are connected pieces of a bigger picture and 3NPS is especially useful for legato playing with a lot of sliding up and down with hammer-ons and flick-offs too.

Hi Richard,

I’m, i guess, what would be considered a beginner working towards being intermediate. I am 63 years old, and play/practice as a hobby (hard to do a lot of practice when you work 60 to 70 hours a week). So to answer your question no I haven’t extensively done anything. I understand the benefits… Of three notes per string scale patterns, it’s just when your fingers don’t separate far enough to reach the frets on three notes per string, it makes it hard to practice them, right… So I’ve gone back to one of Justin’s finger stretching videos and I am working on that exercise. In a few months hopefully the fingers will stretch enough to again attempt three note pursestrings scales.

Based on what you have said, finger stretching is a good idea but imho, 3NPS is not.
Look for Justin’s video lesson ‘When NOT to learn scales’.