4:4 Fingerstyle Patterns

Learn how to play 5 Fingerstyle Patterns in 4:4 Time on the guitar - and a cool way of practicing them!

I confess I shouldn’t be studying this module yet, but couldn’t help myself.

I have to say that this is the best fingerstyle lesson Justin has produced thus far. I still struggle with Happy Birthday let alone the Rolling Chords and Greensleeves but this lesson is amazing. Fingers are moving more smoothly, no problem with the chord changes, loving it thank you Justin

1 Like

@dave.pritchard101

Hi Dave, I was actually using the classic course book as part of consolidation for Grade 2 and had been doing these patterns and then came across them afterwards when the Grade 3 lesson popped up. I posted a couple of items that I think require correction to the learn more section for the website in the below post.

https://community.justinguitar.com/t/grade-3-fingerstyle/47603/5?u=socio

1 Like

Hi James, you are right that the text is missing a note on those examples, and all the notes for ex.3. Thanks for pointing that out.

I tend to write my own notes for a lesson, and though I do use the text for extra understanding I obviously don’t look closely enough at the numbers lol.

I’m sure it will be fixed in due course.

For the life of me, I cannot find the Guitar Pro file in the Resources tab. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks

I really am enjoying this lesson as well.

Just wondering about when to change chords to let the last note of the bar ring for long enough? I think the change needs to be as you play the bass note of the next bar?

Or are my changes just too slow?!!

Thanks
Ben

Hi Ben,
I think it can really depend on the chord or the picking pattern. Ideally yes the change should be immediately on the one count. Some changes (say Dm to E) you have half a beat after picking the root note to make sure your fingers are in place before you have to pick the next note.
I take it very slow and always remember the anchor fingers to aid the changes.
It’s early days, but getting smoother, and I wish you luck on your journey.

I can’t even find the Resources tab!

@gpwomack
Thanks for the feedback, Graham. I just had a look at the lesson and the Resource tab is missing. I will raise this with the team.

1 Like

@Richard_close2u @DavidP
Hi Richard, David there are a couple of corrections I think is needed to the learn more page on Grade 3, Module 19, Lesson 4, 4:4 Fingerstyle Patterns that need fed back to the team.

Pattern #4 I think should be T, 1, 2, 1, 3, 2, 1, 2

Pattern #5 I think should be T, 1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 2, 1

For pattern #3 it may be helpful for those that read the learn more section to include the pattern in the text T, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3

@Socio
Thanks James. Not sure how I missed the @mention but I’ve picked it up now and will share the feedback. I also moved it over to this topic (noticing as I did so that you’d mentioned this earlier here, which I also missed)

1 Like

This is great, thank you! We use automatic transcriptions as a base for this Learn More section so sometimes we miss a few details. Please keep sending feedback! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Guitar Pro file is now available in the Resources tab under the video lesson!

1 Like

@larynejg Thanks Laryne … that was quick!

@gpwomack Graham, you’ll find the Resource Tab on the lesson now.

@laryne the pdf file is still missing not everyone has guitar pro.

Hi there,
yes, a pdf file would be most welcome, if possible :blush: :kissing_heart:. I do not use guitar pro.

I asked the team to sort out a PDF file and I’ll upload it as soon as possible! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you

Yes please!

I’ve been working on fingerstyle for some time now, but as part of my practice schedule I’ve been looking at every new lesson, whenever they are posted, no matter what level they are aimed at because there is Always something useful and helpful.
For me in this lesson it was the reminder about tone:
So I spent a good ten minutes playing these patterns, really slowly, completely focused and picking in different distances form the bridge and really thinking about how it sounds.

This tied in nicely with other stuff I’ve been looking at this week about BB King’s tone, and his mastery of finding the sweetspot.