“Unchained Melody” by Righteous Brothers in Db
“Wonderful World” by Sam Cooke in B
“Every Breath You Take” by The Police in Ab
“I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston in A
“She’s Out Of Her Mind” by Blink-182 in C
“Blank Space” by Taylor Swift in F
"I’ve Just Seen A Face by The Beatles in A

4 Likes

My module 10 practice routine has morphed into a significant amount of time being devoted to making the chord changes of these common chord progressions in time with a drum and snare backing track. Not surprisingly, the challenge is making the change to the F chord - getting there on the beat and having the chord ring out. How proficient should I be at this before moving on to the next module?

2 Likes

As long as you can fret the F chord well with some consistency you are probably good to move on. You don’t need to play it perfectly or change to it quickly but rather just know how and practice it as you want and need while you move forward. The point isn’t to perfect all these techniques and skills at this point, just be exposed to them.

2 Likes

The F Chord isnt going anywhere you can move on learning and keep practicing it

1 Like

@JustinGuitar You have no progressions with Em. Read my mind by the killers is perfect for this, I think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

try using better headphones/speaker and try to increase the volume. You can also focus on his hands to hear the difference. Hope that helps

1 Like

If you play these progressions in the key of G, you will have plenty of Em chords.

1 Like

The vi - IV - I - V (Am - F - C - G) is used in ‘Have You Ever Seen The Rain?’ by CCR in case no one has ever posted this before.

1 Like

Justin: We are going to learn some chord progression
ME CRYING IN THE CORNER BECAUSE ALL OF THEM USE F CHORD AND I CAN’T QUITE PLAY IT OK YET =((

1 Like

Just think of these progressions as one more way to practice the F chord.

And it might help to know that one of the most common chord progressions is ii V I (Dm, G C), and I think there are other 2 and 3-chord songs that don’t need F.

1 Like

A drum pattern works with any chord, so most any drummer should be able to play along with whatever chord progression you want to play. Likewise, if the drummer goes first and lays out a beat, any chord progression should work on top of it. Of course, your ear may “hear” a good chord progression that would go with a certain beat, in which case you can just play that.

You can think of the drums as creating a black and white outline of a picture that can be colored in by the chords.

2 Likes

If you practice these 5 chord progressions in the key of G, you will avoid the F chord.

If you practice these 5 chord progressions in both G and C, you will cover every open chord Justin has taught up to this point (except the A :slightly_frowning_face:), as well as the majority of the chord changes you are likely to use.

1 Like

All I can think of is One Day by Matisyahu for the first chord progression, I can’t think of anything else with the other progressions maybe later I can think of one and I’ll add it here.

1 Like

Wild Thang. You got that wild thang. You make my heart sang. Lol

1 Like

what’s the strumming for the last progression (the 2-5-1-6)?

1 Like

Had a quick listen. Justin is mostly playing

1+2+3+4+
D DUDUDU

although at one point (when he plays the G), I think I’m hearing

1+2+3+4+
DU U UDU

though the last “DU” are picked notes rather than strums.

2 Likes

thank you <3

1 Like

Most of the beatles songs like let it be and also I hear somewhere over the rainbow as well. I think most of the slow paced rock songs has these patterns with basic changes like hammer-ing on and pull off.

1 Like

This was fun to mess around with. In addition to the above mentions, Learning to Fly from Tom Petty is in here too (F, C, Am, G).

1 Like

Has anyone realised that the first and second chord progressions are exactly the same, but in a different order? :laughing:

1 Like