500 dollars guitar cable? Does it make sense?

My Korean calculator has it at $403 USD, reduced from nearly $500 USD. A bargain!

This happens in the audiophile world. Connectors, cables, power cords, wall plugs, special “quantum” conditioners, special feet for your amplifier or speakers, on and on. Some simple things costing thousands of dollars, and endlessly debated on audiophile forums.

I have seen speaker cables costing $50,000🤦🏼‍♂️

Maybe the price is entry to the discussion? They certainly can’t make more than the faintest change in sound. But it does depend on what you hear, care about, your wealth and it’s value to you, I suppose.

2 Likes

The point of diminishing returns is probably around $15, any more expensive will make minimal difference, so anything over $50 is just crazy to even look at, even recording studios would think twice!

1 Like

I suspect the only difference between a $30 cable and a $500 cable is how hard the seller is laughing when they receive the money.

Quality of materials counts for something, but so long as it’s not total junk, the cable should last a long time. The way that you treat the cable is going to have a much bigger impact on its lifetime than what it’s made out of anyway. E.g. if you twist and/or kink the cable every time you pack it away, then it won’t matter if it’s made out of gold-plated neodymium obsidian or whatever, it’s still going to get internal fractures and stop working.

1 Like

Seems legit, think I might grab a couple… :thinking::grin:

1 Like

:man_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

They can even feel I can’t afford a 9100 USD cable :smiley:

$50k for a 20 foot cable.
Not bad, think I’ll have a couple. Just got to search down the back of the sofa :crazy_face:

Some cables are always going to be more expensive, especially those made with pixie dust or whatever dream material people dream up.
Silver ones will actually conduct better - the only reason it isn’t used every day is the cost, but whether it could make a difference over a decent oxygen-free copper cable correctly made is debatable.
I know some people don’t agree with even the oxygen free copper being better - it simply won’t rust as quickly as bog-standard copper. Maybe not important for some cables, but in my ultrasound machine it means the difference of spending another £300 on replacing the whole thing or trying to find a 7 core with braided shield cable, whcih are usually stored alongside hens teeth.

Some people just have money to throw away.
If someone wants to take it off them by selling them unicorn hair at £50k then it’s the buyer that is at fault.

1 Like

I am not going to answer this questions but I will answer a different question: what do electromagnetism equations say about electromagnetic field (what your guitar produces) moving along a conductor?
Well as far as the quality of conductor is good (copper will do and does not even have to be 100% pure :slight_smile: and as far as it is shielded (coax cable which is always used for instrument cable) the filtering effect on frequencies is beyond the hearing frequency.
So in English this means that if your instrument cable is made of pure gold or okay copper you will not hear the difference even of you are Jimi or Jimmy or whomever you think has the best ear (may be Justin :-); well if you tell me you defy the laws of physics with your hearing then I take your word for it and feel free to pay the premium :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wonder all those wonderful guitarists, queen, Beetles, and all those great recordings. Did they use such expensive guitar cables?

No.

Such ridiculous things didn’t exist back then.

And, even if they had, studio technicians would know this was a scam.

It’s most likely they used standard guitar cables that were available at the time, probably equivalent to the $20 ones that are in the shops now.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Paul McCartney didn’t even play a ‘proper’ left-handed guitar a lot of time, just a right-handed one restrung and turned upside down, you can see this in photos where his pick guard is above the strings and not below.

There’s a bit in the new Let It Be documentary where he complains that the strings pop out of the nut slot of his Rickenbacker bass. It was pretty surprising given their status as the top band of the world that they couldn’t have it fixed for him.

Then there was the opposite end with the likes of Owsley Stanley and his custom-built amps and other things for the Grateful Dead.

1 Like