55yr old & 1st guitar ever ... Hi from Wendy in Alberta, Canada

Hi from Alberta, Canada. I bought my very first guitar 1 year ago. Pretty excited albeit slow going for quite awhile. Poor thing has missed being played for last four months. I recently bought a guitar stand to have it out in the open staring at me. I’m back at it and thought I’d check out the community.

13 Likes

Welcome Wendy! Having the guitar handy will help

1 Like

Hi Wendy and welcome to the community. You’re on the right path, keep the guitar within easy reach and it will get played then as you progress you’ll probably find yourself looking forward to practice time.

1 Like

Welcome Wendy. I think both having the guitar readily at hand and becoming active in the Community can help keep one engaged. In my case that was setting myself goals to play, record, and share in #record-yourself-progress-performance:audio-video-of-you-playing as I progressed through what is now Grade 1 and 2. You can also create a journal of your progress in #community-hub:learning-logs. Trick for me was to not feel like I was alone in the learning.

2 Likes

Hello Wendy and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

It is best to have it staring at you, pining because it is not being played. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Wendy and another welcome!!
Absolutely having the guitar visible and close to hand will be good. I’m always picking it up for a quick few minutes strum through the day when I’m working from home, it’s nicely calming in between work duties / calls.
With the added benefit of being “warmed up” for when proper practice time rolls around. Good to have you with us :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Wendy and welcome.

Can’t add much to the suggestions and advice already given. But if you ever need help just shout up here and someone will be along to give you guidance and answers.
Enjoy your journey :smile:

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Wendy,

Welcome to the community. I agree the best choice is to keep a guitar out on a stand in plain site to inspire you to play. I still do that and find myself playing randomly throughout the day. Take Justin’s lessons one at a time and you will be on your way to excellence before you know it. I suggest to record yourself to track your progress, Compare your progress to what you did a week ago or a month ago, not to what others are doing here. Everyone here has their own unique journey, unique goals, and unique musicianship. Looking forward to hearing you play and develop as an artist. Best of luck

Jeff from California

1 Like

Welcome to the community. I started playing at the age of 53 and 10 years later it’s such an amazing reward. I always keep my guitar on a stand in handy reach so I can grab it when walking past. Keep at it, you will not regret it and you’ll have loads of fun (and frustration) along the way.

1 Like

Hi Wendy, good to see another late starter here on Justin Guitar…Hope you will enjoy yourself.

1 Like

Hi Wendy.

Welcome to the community, and having your guitar out will make a huge difference in how often you play it. Mine used to be upstairs in the spare bedroom but now they are in the living room, all three of them plus the music stand, amp and books, much to my husbands disgust :rofl:

Wondering if there is room for another one :grimacing:

6 Likes

Another vote to keep them out. Then you will play them! Besides, they look so cool!

4 Likes

Welcome Wendy,
Justin taught me something in year two of my lessons that if you “put your bum in a chair with your guitar for 1 minute every day, you will get better” It is a bit of a paraphrase but it works. His reasoning is sound. You can’t just play for 1 minute!
It also works to have your guitar out and in plain sight. Have fun.

2 Likes

Make sure there is one in every room

2 Likes

Hello Wendy, happy anniversary, slow going is completely and utterly fine if you are doing it right and building a foundation of correct chord formations, solid rhythm on strumming and other good habits.
Richard
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Like trying to eat just one potato chip!

Hi Wendy. I’m in Minnesota, and you’re in Alberta, so I’ll take a slightly different angle than others. In the winter, folks like you and me have an indoor humidity level that’s not healthy for our guitars. I keep my guitars on stands when the indoor humidity is consistently above 40%. For the several months that the indoor humidity stays below that, even with a furnace humidifier, they stay in their cases with humidification devices when I’m not playing them.

Hi Wendy, welcome to the community. Find songs that you enjoy at each level of your journey and you will enjoy playing the guitar. Every day that you play, you get a little better.