A Beginning Attempt to Strum and Improvise

Hello everyone!
I am a beginner and this is this first time I’ve ever shared any recording of myself.
The first clip is strumming the bridge/ chorus of Waste by Phish.
The second is my attempt to improvise over the first clip.

Thank you in advance for not tearing me apart🙂

Edit

Thanks for all the comments
I deleted the videos because they were linked to my Google account and I’m getting security notifications from Google.
I will try to see if there’s another way I could repost these videos to keep them as part of the forum

Thank you all for such a great community here.

2 Likes

Hi David!!

Dont know much about Phish, (is it a prog band from the 70s?)

But i think your video was great, the strumming sounded thight and consistent.
Keep up the good work and you will rip this song in no time.
Have a suspicion though that there are far easier songs out there too play than Phish :rofl:

Hey David,
Welcome mate, and congratulations on your first AVOYP. First one is always the hardest.
Some decent strumming action on the first clip. A good effort on the improv in the second clip. Not an easy song to start improvising over though. I’ve found a simple 12 bar blues is a good way to get into improvising, as it’s a familiar sound with only a few, steady chord changes.
Keep postin em mate, and ask away for any advice. Lots of great folk here only too happy to help.
All the best.
Cheers, Shane

Congratulations on your first videos David. It’s a big step and you’ve done it well.

Hi David,
Congratulations on your first video,…it’s a lot for most people to expose themselves like that,…the rhythm guitar is great to build on,…and there are a lot lessons to see here ,so I wish you a lot of fun and keep posting,
Greetings, Rogier

Well done David, sounded like you had a good flow on the strumming and it was nicely consistent. I liked you’re go at the improv too, it’s a great way to explore the fretboard, I’ve found myself lost for ages doing that over various tracks. So much so that I invested in a loop pedal to do just that, well worth a look at if you can get funds together for it.
Congratulations on your first AVOYP too, as others have said it’s not easy to put yourself out there like that. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

1 Like

@hechtdds
Put your video on Google drive and set permissions on access to anyone with the link, that’s what I do.