A couple of songs by Tool - AVOYPs for my end of Grade 2

Hi all, hope you’re well! :slight_smile:
Just wound up Grade 2 and, following Justin’s advice to focus for a bit on what I enjoy about guitar, I’ve been digging deep into some covers. So… Got inspired by @jpparlier posting Tool the other day and thought I would have a crack at a couple of tracks, which I had messed around with a while ago but forgotten about. Didn’t want to spend heaps of time on them, hence following along with the tabs with the first one below! :joy: Also sorry about the timing issues throughout, maybe if I had spent more time with them, I could have improved that a little, also really messed up the pick scrap at the start of the first one, but… oh well it was super fun! :joy:
Please note, PARENTAL ADVISORY these songs CONTAIN COARSE LANGUAGE and dark themes. I haven’t listed their names in the links as they might be offensive to some. Hope this isn’t too full on… Please let me know if it is inappropriate here.
Cheers! :metal:
Tool 1
Tool 2

6 Likes

Nice playing @nzmetal !
Considering some of the fast alternate picking parts in Jerk Off, that’s impressive progress and playing at Grade 2. :guitar:

1 Like

Thanks @jpparlier! :metal:

Afterthought edit on this… to comment on the fast palm-muted alternate picking. I have found that one of the harder things to nail when standing, not so bad when sitting as I can lock the guitar against my leg, but when standing it is more difficult to create that solid base to get control when the tempo increases. I guess it would be a case of experimenting with how to hold the guitar to improve that? Or perhaps I need to have a lighter touch? Definitely something I will need to continue work on. Thanks again for checking these out! :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

Wow, that was some playing!
Excellent!

1 Like

Thanks Darrell! :smiley: :+1:
Yeah I was totally getting flashbacks to my teenage years with these, except it would have just been air guitar then lol! :joy:

1 Like

Good job! Especially on Stinkfist.

Is that a Crate BX-15 in the background?

1 Like

NZ Jeff tooled up and having a ball ! Great playing and great toons, must certainly look into Tool. Far beyond anything I have attempted, so no pointers from me, just keep doing what you are doing.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks John! :smiley: :+1:

Sharp eyes! It’s a Crate GX-15. Pretty sweet little amp :metal:

Thanks Toby! :metal:
Yeah you’ll dig them for sure mate. I am more into their earlier stuff which was less complex than where they headed (I’m just a simple guy :joy:). I recommend checking out the Undertow album and going from there, some great tunes on there and helps to put what they do later into perspective. Cheers!

Sounded good Jeff. The first couple of Tool albums were my thing as well, Aenima being my fave. Lateralus was the last album I bought, after that I lost interest.

1 Like

Thanks JK! Really appreciate you checking it out mate! :smiley::+1:

Love the Tool stuff, seen them live always a great show! Good job!

1 Like

Thanks so much @natloz !

Wow Jeff that was impressive :clap:t2: :clap:t2: :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Nancy! :smiley::+1:

Jeff that was great really great sense of rhythm mate!

1 Like

Thanks so much, Adi!! Really appreciate you taking a look! :smiley: :+1:

Wow, awesome! Thanks for posting!!

I love Tool but haven’t tried tackling any of their songs yet. Great to know that they are doable end of Grade 2!

1 Like

Thanks so much, Felix! :smiley:
Yeah definitely! Their earlier stuff isn’t too tricky and super fun to play. Get amongst it mate! :metal::metal::metal:

1 Like

You sure know how to rock it Jeff. That was some awesome playing. Never heard Tool songs before. I thought you did an excellent job.

1 Like