A Horse With No Name - #2 Grade 2 Graduation

This is the second song of my repertoire for the Graduation from Grade 2.
I’ve chosen it because of course of the song in itself, but also because there are 2 italian songs that use the same chords and that i LOVE (mare sopra e sotto by Enzo Carella; golfo paradiso by Chiello).

When i first learned the song, i was just using the two classic chords, and the strumming without anything more. But then, i listened the original again and again.
It sounded somewhat different.
I’ve chosen to listen a live version performed by America, and i found that the strumming was very light and laid back.
Listening again, i worked out the strumming pattern that i used here and i’ve added the third secret chord, with muting the string between the strumming, and in my case using the percussive hit to do it.
So, like in that live that i saw, i strummed very lightly, trying to then explode in the part without vocals.

As previous, i’ve recorded with just the phone, sending the backing track directly in my amp. Since this was an acoustic piece, this time the quality of sound it’s even worse ahah, but right now we’re gonna just say that is my punk rock way to do things. For the next acoustic ones, i need to try to plug even the guitar into the amp, to add at least some reverb.

Considering that all the videos of this project of mine aren’t covers, but just ‘‘videos’’ to fulfill requirements to graduate to pass in Grade 3, i’m always opened to hear from you if this could make me sign the second box out of the ten songs that i’m planning to do.

And yes, this one is the second out of 3 of the ‘campfire’ songs, then i will post something a little more interesting.

22 Likes

That was really impressive Alessandro. Loved the way you strummed that song and the dynamics you introduced worked really well. Seriously well played!

2 Likes

Sound great man ! Bravo !

2 Likes

Hi Alessandro that looked and sounded really good, although would be great to have your Backing Track a bit more in the background because it was harder to hear your guitar playing in those laid back moments. Although from what I heard you did really well, thanks for sharing and that is such a cool song really love it

3 Likes

That was excellent. Good rhythm, good use of muting and dynamics, good strumming pattern and energy. Well done!

2 Likes

Hi Alessandro,
That was good and steady rhythm guitar, and the sound wasn’t as bad as you describe it as far as I’m concerned (not bad at all),…so well done :sunglasses: :clap:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Really good steady strumming there Alessandro. You looked calm and confident. Well done.

I can’t comment on the accuracy or cleanliness of your chords as it is difficult to tell what is you and what is the backing track.

You also mention campfire songs and ‘graduation’. Remember that at a ‘campfire’ you won’t have a ‘pro’ backing track and vocals. :grinning:

1 Like

Bravo and congratulations!
solid job.
I’d really like to hear you play and sing those Italian songs you mentioned in your intro :smiley:
Avanti!

1 Like

Thank you to all, as i said i agree, the recording quality is bad, but actually i can still hear my guitar really well from start to finish, except for the bass note that with a small auditorium guitar like that it’s not prominent even when ‘acapella’, and not plugged in, it get quite covered by the backing track

I enjoyed that. Great playing, great rhythm. I’ve always enjoyed that classic 70’s song. Good job!

1 Like

I agree with the others that the backing track is a bit loud compared to your guitar.
But your strumming is natural and confident. I think this is very well done and look forward to seeing more from you.

1 Like

Well done, Alessandro. You looked relaxed, played with a groove that appeared locked into the BT as far as I could tell.

Like a few others commented I suggest for recordings made to showcase progress towards considering a grade complete you turn the BT down much lower than the level at which it may be if you were wanting to produce a multi-track cover of a song using BTs for some of the instruments and vocal. I’d prefer to hear the BT softly in the background and your playing clearly.

1 Like

That was really good Alessandro. A great song choice as well. The strumming was good and the percussive hits were as well.

1 Like

That was great Alessandro, great rhythm, and it came across that you were enjoying yourself. I enjoyed it! :clap:t2: :smiley:

1 Like