A Humbled View From The End of Grade 1 Mod 1

Last week if anyone had asked, I would have called myself an ā€œIntermediate Guitar Player.ā€
But I decided to start at the beginning of Grade 1, Module 1. Gawd. How humbling.
I was 7 minutes into the ā€˜songā€™ and Iā€™m thinking, ā€œMama make the music stop - Arggh, my fingers!ā€ My fingers hurt because Iā€™m putting them into positions that they are not accustomed to being in, plus changing between only two chords. Example. My finger position on the A chord is below:
A-Chord-234

But now:
A-Chord-213

Then the ā€˜anchor finger.ā€™ If you asked me what an 'anchor finger is 2 days ago, Iā€™d be, ā€œHuh?ā€ :confused:

All very humbling and yet, also an exercise in perception. Iā€™m really aware of muting strings as well as my solid vs incorrect fingering, and I finally simply let go of strumming patterns and just focused on attempting to make the chord changes in the song without really munging them up.
AinH

Then I ended the session by practicing the chords in James Brown ā€œSex Machine.ā€ Yeah - level 6 stuff, go figure. Itā€™s a different practice with a different finger muscle set and my hand actually relaxed into that practice. Iā€™m starting to have some success with the Root-9 and Root-13 funk chords. Go figure, as A and D and anchor fingers exercises were kicking my butt.

Yeah, itā€™s a convoluted story, but it was Jusinā€™s rendition of Sex Machine that pulled me over to his site initially. Iā€™m glad I found it. I just got kicked out of my rut :+1:

6 Likes

Itā€™s a good story, Daniel, thanks for sharing! Glad the rut has been busted! :wink: Love the Gary Larson cartoon on the cup too (takes me back!), a good reference for that part of practicing guitar! :laughing:

1 Like

Every time Iā€™ve learned a different finger placement for a chord, it burns lol. I use your ā€œdefaultā€ finger placement depending on the songā€¦ i.e.: if itā€™s an A maj ā†’ E maj on a quicker song, it makes a lot of sense, and the transition is easier and quicker. Someone with more experience should def weigh in, but I think different songs can often call for alternate finger placement. I learned Justinā€™s finger placement firstā€¦ but now I find myself more often than not just barring the 2-4th strings with my index fingerā€¦ thatā€™s become my new default and leaves a whole bunch of fingers free to add a little sparkle (especially when fingerpicking on an acoustic) with things like an Asus4/hammer on to the 3rd fret, 2nd string ā€¦ Iā€™ve also seen people use fingers 1 (4th string),2 (3rd string),3 (2nd string)ā€¦ I hate that one. I feel like my fingers are too fat, and I always mute the second string by accident - I go back to barring with my index. Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s one ā€œcorrectā€ finger placementā€¦ some are definitely more widely used/make it easier. I am glad I learned Justinā€™s first, I still go back to it with songs that have an A->D chord progression. I was interested to hear you mention letting go of strumming. I actually practice them separate. I had a huge issue with strumming my first few weeks - or more specifically, not strumming until my fingers were placed, which made for, well, songs that my mother couldnā€™t even fake recognition of. Personally, I practice them separatelyā€¦ so if a song has a chord change Iā€™m not comfortable withā€¦ i practice the perfect chords, and one minute chord changes and drill those, practicing for perfectionā€¦ but when Iā€™m actually playing a song or working on a new strumming pattern, I practice for flow (after Iā€™ve practiced the chord changes) instead and make sure my right-hand keeps the strumming pattern and I keep the beatā€¦ Iā€™m wondering what other people do. Iā€™ve read and heard from several ppl that stopping in the middle of a song is the worst habit to get into.

1 Like