Accents when the note doesn't exist

My understanding when strumming in 4/4 is that you usually place a strong accent on beat 1 and another accent (albeit not as strong) on beat 3.

However, what do you do if there is no beat 3?

For example if you use the classic DDUUD strumming pattern then there is an accent on the first D strum as it’s on beat 1 but there isn’t a strum on beat 3. There’s an up strum on 2& and another one on 3&, but not actually on 3 itself.

This then gets further complicated when you start looking at more advanced rhythms where there are rests on places where a beat would fall.

Any pointers would be good.

Thanks

Simon

2 Likes

Hey Simon, welcome back :slight_smile:
Others far more qualified / experienced may well share otherwise but imo here the accents as you describe them (1 and 3) are more relevant when you’re just playing all downstrums in 4/4. Once you start using different patterns the flow and accents will naturally change anyway , as well as suiting whatever chord progression and changes are happening. On old faithful, DDUUD, I tend to find the 2 x up strums are more usually accented, or maybe if just sounds that way as it’s the higher strings being hit first on those strums.

I’d say it’s a case of experimenting with patterns and chord progression and keeping in mind Justin’s comments that if it sounds good it is good.

2 Likes

Different strumming patterns tend to emphasize certain beats. If the feel of your song calls for accentuating the 1 and 3, then you wouldn’t choose “Old Faithful” as your strumming pattern, you would choose a different pattern.

1 Like

Simon, there’s no rule that says 1 and 3 are the beats that get accented.
In rock, disco, pop and much more, beats 2 and 4 (the back beat) are accented.
And there’s no rule that says a minimum of two beats get accented.
Beats 1 and 3 are often where the harmony changes (chord changes) but do not need to be where the rhythm is accented.

1 Like

:smiley:

4 Likes

I love that Harry Connick Jr moment.
Class.

2 Likes

Wow, rhythmic displacement. Try tapping your foot to that and you’ll get knee and hip displacement. :smiley:

I also thought the accents were on 1 and 3…you need to do some mindful listening here and you’ll feel that in most pop music accents are actually on 2 and 4. Check Justin’s tutorials on Have you ever seen the rain or Moonlight shadow to understand what I say and then check the original recordings. It was very confusing for me to understand this.

1 Like

Thanks for the help everyone.

Simon

1 Like