Ace of Spades | Motörhead

This is me having some fun with the rhythm, lead and solo of this cracking tune. Don’t mind the serious face - I’m really having fun. :slight_smile:

I don’t know why I’m always lifting up the guitar for the bends in the lead part. It’s only when watching the recording that I noticed it. It’s probably a bad habit so I need to work on that. I’m not used to play standing up, so maybe that could be the reason.

The solo is not a 100% accurate, but it’s pretty fast so I skipped a few notes. But hey, no one cares, right? :wink:

I’m a bit bummed about the impact of the backlight on the video quality but it is what it is. It’s the first time I filmed different parts and put them all together. At some point I’d like to do a multicam video with different angles but that sounds like a nightmare.

As always, any feedback is much appreciated!

21 Likes

Very impressive Jeff. Sounds awesome, all that’s really missing is you singing Lemmy’s vox.:thinking:
The backlighting didn’t detract in any way from that performance. Bravo :clap:

1 Like

That was epic Jeff. Really enjoyed that.

1 Like

Thanks Ian. I don’t smoke and rarely drink, so I’d sound like a choir boy Lemmy at best. :innocent:

3 Likes

Hi Jeff,
Nice video ,was a good watch while the music is not my personal preference at the moment, so extra well done :sunglasses: :clap:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Incredible! I love this song and you really did it justice.

1 Like

Sounds great man !!! Awesome !!!

1 Like

Jeff that was awesome, really well covered a good old classic both from playing, tone and overall production perspective. No nits from me, just a replay of such a great cover and track! All the best

1 Like

Great cover. Backlight seemed ok to me.

1 Like

I really enjoyed that really good jeff

1 Like

Oh yeah! That’s what I like to see!! Loving that Jeff!!! Motorhead!!! :metal: :confounded:
Thought your playing was epic and tone sounded great - what were you using, how’d you dial it in if you don’t mind me asking? :thinking:

I had noticed that too and it was really interesting to me as I am trying to learn how to bend properly at the moment. Although I have no real grounds for comment :joy:, my initial thoughts were that it didn’t appear you had your thumb over the top of the fret board to counterbalance the upward pressure? Not sure if that might’ve helped? Perhaps when you’re seated you have the guitar locked with your strumming arm so it’s not an issue? Sounded cool though, so I’d be interested to hear what someone more knowledgeable on the topic thinks.

Loving your work, Jeff, keep 'em coming! :metal:

1 Like

Thanks mate. In a nutshell: Katana crunch amp, bass about halfway, mids and treble at 25%. Clean booster and compressor + graphic EQ. I’ll send you the .tsl file.

Good point. I usually have the thumb over the top, but here I didn’t because my third finger is bending two strings. This requires a bit more strength, which is provided by pressing the thumb against the back of the neck. Plus, it’s a pretty fast jump from the open G to the higher part of the neck, so I’m less in control of the bend. I will definitely check it out.

1 Like

Jeff - That Was Amazing!
Your rendition, masterful. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen Motorhead live but ya, you got it. They were even better when confined to a small space, like a club.
Lemmy would have loved that!!!

True story, I saw Motorhead at either Gizzaries or the Whisky on Sunset when I was about 25 (I don’t remember much from those days on the strip). I walked into the men’s room and there was Lemmy at the urinal with a pitcher of been in one hand, something else in the other and there was a dead fly and two cigarette butts in his pitcher. I said “Great Show Lemmie” on the way out and he just grunted. My friends wife rushed him as a fan later that night and he stomped on her foot and walked away.
That guy lived life just like he played.

1 Like

Ozmetal - the thing that took me 20+ years to learn is, the light touch. It can’t be taught really. Recommendation? If you want to get good at bending strings, play with heavy gauge strings. I was working on slide in Open E with 13-56 strings (Elmore James Dust My Broom), then I would tune to standard and play the normal (AC/DC Back in Black - Boston, Zepp) stuff. Believe me when I tell you, after two weeks of bending those strings to your favorite songs, throw on a pair of 10-50 round wounds… bending will not be a problem for you. Getting the pitch and the ear for the bend is just practice.

I’m looking forward to hearing what you do!

1 Like

:metal: :metal: I loved this one Jeff and really well done on pulling it all together. I wouldn’t have known you’d missed any notes out of your solo had you not said.

1 Like

I was fortunate to see them live once back in the summer of 2015, about six months before Lemmy passed away. It was at a festival and that was an incredible experience already. But I believe you when you say they were at their best in a smaller, sweaty venue.

:clap::metal::raised_hands:t2:

Awsome Jeff!! Sounded killer and very very close to the original…
As someone mentioned further up… why dont you do the vocal as well while youre at it? Should be easy enough :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Joke aside… it was just plain awsome Jeff!!

( i too have been lucky and seen them live, back in 2007, festival as well… )

1 Like

Wow, Jeff I’m very impressed! Even, if it’s not my first choice of music, I enjoyed your performance and can see the technical challenges you mastered very well. Chapeau!

1 Like

:scream: :rofl:

Cool, that makes good sense! Thanks for the tip, Jim! :metal: :sunglasses:

Excellent stuff :clap: loved it :v:

1 Like