Acoustic/ Electric Learning curver

I started with a Parlor and picked up An Electric due to initial difficulty with Finger strength etc.That addition helped me a lot to develop Finger strength and coordination( I’m a 70 year old f.n.g) I then was able to pick up a Yamaha Red Lable so I’m set for rest of my life( yes I appreciate my fortune ) Dilemma is that when I alternate Guitars I seem to regress with the different scale length etc…I have the dilemma Should I stick to one Guitar in order to progress ?? At this point when my hands get sore and worn out I change in order to maintain practice.Its kind of like cross training ,but like I said I seem to regress and that’s discouraging…

1 Like

It depends, do you want to play a number of guitars? Many reasons for that, so if you do you need practice switching between them as much as playing any one.

Switching between an electric and an acoustic (and with different scale lengths) will mean some adjustment in technique etc

2 Likes

I agree with Rob. The guitar you practice on depends on what it is you want to achieve. You can’t do all your practice on electric and then expect to pick up an acoustic and be at the same level. If you want to play both effectively then you need to practice on both, getting used to the differences and to making the transition seamlessly.

If you’re struggling for finger strength, then perhaps focus on your acoustic for a while. Acoustics are “harder” to fret… they take more strength, so you build strength more quickly. I did that for a few months until fretting seemed fairly easy, and it made electric feel ridiculously easy to fret in comparison.

2 Likes

Hi Miguel, I switch between an acoustic and electric too. I have some issues with wrist and elbow pain, so I decided to practice on an electric too, to get some relief. For me, switching also means a certain time to adapt myself to the certain guitar, but the more I do it, the easier it becomes. I even switch guitars during practice, as I train some practice items on electric, others on acoustic. When I play scales, I’m much faster on the electric than acoustic, but I try to catch up on acoustic too. For me, it’s not a question of regressing, it’s an ongoing process of building up equal abilities on both instruments, because I intend to play them both in the long run to be able to take the one which suits best for the song. As everything else, it’s taking time and needs patience. Sure, you’ll make it!