Acoustic guitar recommendation

I am confused between Fender CD60, Tanglewood Crossroads and Yamaha F310. Which one should I buy? I am upgrading from a cheap unbranded acoustic guitar which I used to play, and I have seen a lot of YouTube videos, and these 3 guitars are frequently mentioned in the price range I am interested. Also, I am leaning towards buying an Electro Acoustic version of the same, so yeah, keep that in consideration while recommending. Thanks.

Can you go to a store and try all 3? That would be the best option if possible, then you could see which one you like best.

2 Likes

I would love to, but just that I don’t have any decent music shops near my house. Hence, I am relying on Amazon to get a new instrument. :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Don’t know if this is an option for you but what I plan to do when I’m ready to buy my first acoustic guitar is to travel to the capital in an epic quest to find THE guitar.

If I couldn’t, I guess I would go for the one more appealing to me aesthetically as is the only thing I can see online. (I say this because you already nail down to 3 guitars with good reviews, of course, so I imagine that the differences won’t be so huge)

Do yourself a favor and spend the time to travel to a music store with a good acoustic guitar selection. My closest guitar store is an 1.5 hours away, so I ordered the Fender CD-60 online and it arrived with a bent/twisted neck. Numerous frets buzzed and it would have discouraged me to try to learn how to play on it. I took it to Guitar Center to have repairs done…would have cost over $100. They had the same guitar in stock…with a straight neck. I purchased the guitar from the store and retuned the one I bought online. I absolutely LOVE my Fender CD-60 (Mahogany). The tone is incredible! Fortunately Amazon’s Prime allows for free returns. Bottom line, take the time and make the trip. If they have more than one of the same model, play all of them. Find one with the action that you like best. If it’s too high, the F is impossible to play. You can’t do that online.

2 Likes

Yamaha make the best cheap guitars IMHO. If you can stretch to a FG8xx do it.

I started on a F310.

2 Likes

Anyways thanks everyone for suggestion. Went to a great guitar shop in one of the neighbouring cities. Tried both the tangle wood and some Yamaha, Fender guitars. And guess what, I was so effing impressed by the Yamaha FG800, I instantly felt a spark and bought it. No regrets. The tangle wood sounded kind of lacklustre compared to FG800, probably because it has a solid top. Had to exceed my budget a little, but worth the price.

9 Likes

Awesome move! The budget stretch will pay off. That spark will make you love to pick up the guitar and play! The best guitar is the one you want to play.

3 Likes

Awesome, congrats on the new guitar. Isn’t going to play them the right thing? When I test guitars there is definitely a range from “yeah, that’s a guitar” to “OMG that’s awesome”. And it doesn’t always line up with what YouTube reviews say :grinning:.

3 Likes

Happy NGD Kunal. Happy playing. :smiley:

1 Like

Congrats, Kunal, glad you found the right instrument and wish you much joy playing it.

Happy NGD, the Spark is that important thing that you should never ignore; paying that bit extra is insignificant compared with the pleasure you will get from it!

1 Like

I also have the Yahamh FG800 and I love it. It’s my first guitar and I have learned a lot with it. I like to tinker so I swapped the bridge for bone, the nut for tusq and added some locking tuners with elixir strings. I don’t think it needed all that but like I said I like to tinker and had fun doing it.

Happy new guitar day.
For certain, Yamaha have excelled at making consistently good quality guitars for people looking at the lower budget prices and would always be a top recommend.

1 Like

So happy that you found your guitar! Glad you made the extra effort to go to a guitar store. You were able to find the guitar that was right for you, not settling for whatever is delivered in the mail. Don’t get me wrong, I do my fair share of online shopping, but not guitar shopping. Congratulations and make sure to touch your guitar every day. It’s a long journey, but SO worthwhile. Best wishes, we’re all in your corner.

2 Likes

I have two Yamahas - one of them is the FG800, and I do love to play that guitar.

1 Like

I like the sound of Yamaha, but still looking and listening and playing to find the right one. So far, it’s between FGX830C, A1M, LL6. Any thoughts?

1 Like

I have been thinking about the FGX830C but not got around to visit a shop to try it out, would be interested if you get the chance but at the end of the what suits one person may not suit another.:guitar: