'add' chords - Reality Check

I’m ahead of myself, but that is my nature. Im many ways I learn in a structured linear manner - until I don’t. Then I go off on tangents because that’s how I learn.

With that said. Mods or Richard, put this wherever it best fits.

I’m on Grade 2 Mod 8 where Justin introduces the Cadd9. But I’m going to put on my Music Theory cap. Looking at it as compared to a Cmaj9 this is what I’m seeing? Correct me if I’m wrong. I’ve never seen an “add” chord before, so just guessing.

The C Major would be the 1-3-5 intervals or C E G.

The Cadd9 would be the 1-3-5-9 intervals or C E G D ? Just “add” the 9th interval?
So a Cmaj9 would be the 1-3-5-7-9 intervals or C E G B D ?
And a C9 (dominate 9) would be 1-3-5-b7-9 intervals or C E G Bb D ?
(Corrected by OP)

So will the term “add” always mean just that - just adding the specified interval?

Daniel, beyond me to answer. Mod Richard is busy moving house so not as active as usual. I’m sure he’ll answer when he checks in and an @Richard_close2u will help.

Correct :+1:

C7 is 1-3-5-b7
C9 is 1-3-5-b7-9

Add the specified interval to the three notes of the basic triad. Yes.
Interval can he xalled scale degree here.

Major 7 chords and anything extended beyond that have ‘major’ in their name must have the 7.
Major 9 chords must have the 7.
Major 11 chords must have the 7.
Etc.
They do not necessarily need all three of the triad notes (1, 3 & 5). The 5 is often omitted.

Similarly with dominant 7 and beyond (check the spelling of dominant by the way). They must contain the b7, but not necessarily the 5 from the triad.
7 chords must have the b7.
9 chords must have the b7.
11 chords must have the b7.
Etc.

Similarly with minor 7, minor 9, minor 11 etc. Those chords must have the b7, but not necessarily the 5 from the triad.

Add chords are the 1, 3 & 5 plus something else.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

My mistake. Late at night. I meant C9. Typo.
Thanks.

Thanks. :+1: