Adding Notes And Function

Grab some paper and pens and let's give your first steps into Harmonic Analysis!

View the full lesson at Adding Notes And Function | JustinGuitar

Looks like a lot of work but also seems fun. I will combine it with transcribing and see how it will go.

1 Like

I will do this, and I’m alo doing “Sultan of Swing” as you suggested before. Interesting. At least I get some things now.

1 Like

This was a really cool exercise. Of course, there were things that I missed or didn’t make a connection on. But that only means that they’ll stand out next time as something to pay special attention to.

However, my only concern is that I’m more into metal and rock, so I’m wondering if solos will be much tougher to transcribe. I mean, there’s still a rhythm groove that is holding the song up, just the same in blues. But then again, I’m obviously beginner-ish to music theory so I’ll eventually need to learn to bridge the gap from what I learn from blues, into the rock/metal world.

1 Like

It says you must have music written. Means music written in notations? :flushed::flushed:?

1 Like

@Gagan Not standard notation … unless you really want it and are familiar with it.

Justin emphasises in the video lesson that TAB is best for this.

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard | JustinGuitar Approved Teacher, Official Guide & Moderator

Is TAB important Sir ? @Richard_close2u

TAB is the most useful form of written music for guitar players.
If you are going to study based on this lesson you need TAB.

:guitar::ok_hand::sparkles::sparkles::smiling_face:

1 Like

I am doing “Come Sunday” by Duke Ellington. I wanted to pick a song I did not know and had never heard before. I took a lot of time for me but I really felt like I got something valuable out of it.

1 Like

Heyhey

I just realized there must be some kind of mistake in the sheet tab.

I’m pretty proud as I know the fretboard by heart already.

I marked the wrong part.
8th fret 1st string whole step up is a D.
But I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be a G bending to A - it also sounds better.
So 8th fret 2nd string whole step up to A.

Cheers
HSS

1 Like

The tab is not wrong.

Mind we’re changing from the A to the a D chord, so the bend from C to D on the first string is actually one of the best things you can do.

Over the D chord, we play the notes D (root), A (fifth) and C (minor 7): that’s basically outlining a D7 chord.

Sure, bending to the note A over a D chord is fine too since it’s still a chord tone, but to my ears bending to the root D sounds better. Making the changes!

1 Like

Okay but the notes on the staff above the corresponding tabs are G and A.
So if 8th fret 1st string bend from C to D is right the shouldn’t it be C and D tones on the staff instead?

1 Like

Aha, I wasn’t paying attention to the staff notation. That’s indeed a G bending to an A, you’re right.

Both would work as per my previous post, but I think the staff notation needs to be amended. @Richard_close2u can probably help us with that.

2 Likes

@hssordie @Jeff Thanks for the alert on this issue. I have access to edit written lesson content but not images and TABs. I will report this and it will be added to a to-do list. :slight_smile:

2 Likes