Adi_mrok's Learning Log

That’s a very nice-looking and nice-sounding guitar there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Been a while, but as usual I like to make an update at the start of the year to see where I got in last 12 months later on. :grinning:

This year I can clearly say that GAS overtook amount of songs I have managed to learn :rofl: my little music room is filled with joy called musical instruments and gadgets now and I probably won’t be able to squeeze much more, perhaps replacing like for like is now on the table for me :grinning: picture from year before and now! Psst if you look closer you might spot one extra guitar not on the wall :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Speaking of GAS - what I wanted to do for some time now is to replace PUPs at my East Coast HSS strat. Read lots of posts, scratched some hair off my head in the meantime but yet again went with good old Toby’s advice and wasn’t disappointed. Purchased pickups from Irongear, specifically Vintage 60s and Fat Torque for humbucker and boy oh boy was it worth it! A pic of my WIP and I decided to record a little sample of how my last recording sounded on previous PUPs vs now, I will let you to decide if you can hear a difference :wink: New PUPs for Eastcoast :) - YouTube

So in the last year we can add 8 extra covers including 2 collabs (thanks Luka and LBro!), 1 impro challenge, 4 Community Open Mics including wonderful Richard’s testimonial and 1 Livestream event with Justin. Not much impressed with amount of songs I have managed to learn but to be fair I tried to pick some more challenging ones to step up my game and humbly speaking I think I achieved that, at least I feel it that way.

I should also add 2 more songs on top of ones above which I only performed at Open Mics and didn’t get a chance to record those properly. Well perhaps one day :grinning:

Although I paused indefinitely learning Snow by RHCP which is my last year’s failure thinking of what other songs I learnt I will give myself some slack and I look forward to getting back to it one day. If I had to choose one I am most proud of? Can’t really, all of them were awesome :rofl:

My resolution for this year, or perhaps my goals? I would like to continue learning songs but also I hope to step out of my comfort zone and start some more with playing around with music, so progressions, scales, licks and this sort of stuff. Going back to what I learnt last year and having a look from theory point of view what was happening and why it sounded so good. I also think that all the new skills I picked up will come in handy when trying to discover my sound or however some of you folks call it :wink:

Plenty of fantastic materials available over here and at Justin’s webiste, definitely going to have a finer look at Richard’s posts and try to learn something new off it. So let’s get to it!

Practice routine:

• Songs songs songs :slight_smile: due to change!

Songs I know and work on:

Open Mic performances:

9 Likes

Hiding behind the plant.

You’ve had a real breakout year. I’ve noticed more confidence in your playing which inturn comes through in your videos.

1 Like

All good Adrian. Additional guitar easily spotted.

I think the East Coast’s sound is improved, assuming amp etc settings all the same.

You have come on strong in the year. One highlight in my mind would be playing Black Betty over the original recording at an OM … that was a stellar performance.

I like the idea of ‘playing around with music’ and ‘discover my sound’. Look forward to hearing what you may come up with as you venture down that musical avenue.

1 Like

Can’t go wrong with Iron Gear pups, sounding sweet Adi. A good productive year methinks and certainly some great progress on the playing side. Looking forward to what the new year brings from you.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Adrian,
That was a good year for you and you experienced a clear breakthrough :sunglasses:
Greetings and keep the good things flow,…

1 Like

Hi Adrian, last year was definitely a very productive year for you, so many highlights. I look forward to what the new year brings from you especially from the looper.

1 Like

Hi Adrian, wow you really achieved a lot throughout the year! So many songs, and a lot of cool techniques too!! Bravo! I checked only a few of your recordings (La mattina, '74’75, More than words, Good Riddance, Blackbird) and I do agree

:blush::raised_hands::blush::raised_hands::blush:

This is inspiring, I need to be a bit more like you, as songs are the greatest vheicole of learning.

I wish you a a joyful year with loads of fun with your guitars :blush:

1 Like

Thanks Rick really glad to hear it from you as I know you are not a type of guy who gives pats on the back without any reason! :smile:

@DavidP many thanks and glad you also think new pickups are sounding better. Yes I tried to keep settings to pretty much same they were during the recording, obviously few weeks have passed so in the meantime some tiny tweaks in volume or tone knobs could have happended but main patch was the same. And thanks for appreciating BB, that was definitely the fastest one I have done so far! :laughing:

Silvia, James, Rogier and Toby - many thanks for appreciation and stopping by at each post I make, this pretty much gives me a kick to keep on keeping on :grinning:

3 Likes

Very nice looking studio and the list of the songs that you’ve learned is just massive :open_mouth:.

1 Like

Thanks Radek as probably you’ve noticed with more time spent in here amount of recordings grow too so I am sure if you stick at it your collection will grow too! :slight_smile: all the best

1 Like

Man this is impressive. I need to start working on one of these!

I’ll have to reread through this several times, but your growing repertoire is impressive, as is your studio! Keep up the good work!

The growth of your guitar ability (and confidence) should be an inspiration to anybody in this forum.

1 Like

I don’t know how much do you practice but list of my recordings is not even half as long despite of almost 2,000h of work :sweat_smile:. Respect!

1 Like

2000 hours?! Blimey that’s a lot :grinning: assuming 1hr a day for 3 years tallies up to mere 1095 hours. Although I do not count amount of time spent on practice diligently but getting 2 hrs a day happens almost never and I am travelling couple weeks a year on average so that’s no guitar time too. So safe to say 1095 hours is more or less my number probably!

Thanks Travis you have some pretty impressive amount of songs under your belt too so nothing to be shy about :wink:

Then it is even more impressive how well you can organise you practice time. I can dedicate 2,5-3h 6 days a week (with occasional hiccups) but don’t think I’m very efficient.

1 Like

To be fair last year I really was only learning songs and new techniques only with new songs coming. I reckon if I spent more time on musicality in general I would have less songs under my belt. That is the plan for this year BUT there are so many great songs I might as well do the same thing this year again after all :grinning:

2 Likes