Afterburner1277 - Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son +

Dave, Thank you for the compliments. On Justin Guitar, it is afterburner1277. On youtube, it is Fuzzy1277. I set that youtube account up eons ago. I don’t consider myself a good guitar player because I only learn the songs (songs I have been trying to learn for many years) with the invention of the DAW :-). So I consider myself back to where I was in the 70s, playing along to learn a song on my turntable. I have a few pieces in my repertoire. I can play most of the songs, but I have to fake the lead and some rhythm (try the best I can), but I get so much enjoyment from it. I have lots of trouble playing to a backing track (hitting the wrong notes), so I get frustrated and go back to trying to learn all the notes on the fretboard, scales, and such, in which I get bored or tired and go back to figuring songs out and forget some of the scales and such. I have joined many guitar groups and learn a little from each one. I guess that is when I found this fine group of people. As soon as I dedicate (force myself to stay focused), I will start back as I did a few weeks ago with Justin’s music theory class and ear training which I hope will help solve some of my problems, such as finding the right scale/notes to be playing with some favorite backing tracks that I like. As you said, it all lies in the commitment!

Wow love that performance, so much speed in your fingers! I don’t think you make up solo as you go, it was difficult to exactly pick everything up note by note due to the fact that your backing track included electric guitar as well, but sounded pretty tight to me! Well done and next time I suggest looking up backing track without lead guitar, here is a great example:

All the best!

1 Like

Heck yea! Thanks, Adrian! I play around with a lot of different programs. Where did you find this backing track? I like it. How many other songs are out there like this? Though, I must tell you about a program called RIPX. I have owned this program through 2 updates so far, and it is getting much better as time progresses. Look it up. Briefly, I can take the Carry On, mp3 file and insert the “Stems” into Studio One, and I can edit all the different instruments and vocals in and out of the recording. I did this for a song called Astronomy by Blue Oyster Cult. I took Buck Dharma’s lead guitar out and played it myself. It came out kinda ok. One of these days, I might figure out how to post it without copyright infringement???

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Keith and what a fantastic entrance you made. That was some awesome playing. I loved it.

Sweet looking guitar as well.

1 Like