Alex from Italy

Hello, i’m Alessandro from Italy, 24 yrs.

I’m learning guitar since 1 year ago, when i discovered Justin on youtube, in search for some knowledge. And under the guitar related things, that was simply the best thing that ever happened, i’m really grateful that such a person exist in the world.

My journey with music, however, started some time ago. I played drums when i was 10 years old, but my parents didn’t want to have a drum set in the house, even if i was going to musical school. Eventually, after one year playing with a real drum set once a week and by percussing my pillows on the bed pretending they were Charleston’s, i returned after the summer pause in the musical school just to found out that i wasn’t be able to do nothing of the things that i learned in that year, because in that 3 months playing on the bed with pillows just wasn’t a good substitute of real drums. I was so deluded and sad that after 3 or 4 lessons, i abandoned everything.

Despite being a kid who loved (and loves lol) hard rock, grunge, punk, indie and a lot of other things, i fell in love with rap and i did beats, songs and so on, with other people and alone.

In February of the last year, one of my friend asked me to accompany him to a guitar store. He bought a Squier stratocaster classic vibe, and i was excited in seeing guitars everywhere.
Then, i just knew that i wanted to fulfill one of my childhood dream, playing an instrument and making music in general.
He teached me the Smoke on the water riff (lol), but i wasn’t able to afford a guitar.

Mid-september in that year, i finally bought a guitar, and not so many time later i found out Justin. If it wasn’t for him, today i will not be able to strum a single D chord.
Now, i have an electric guitar, a modest Squier affinity Stratocaster that i love no matter what, a much gooder Fender Newporter acoustic made out of solid wood, and a classical cheap guitar that my grandpa gifted me, knowing that i was starting to play, and a Boss Katana amplifier.

Sometimes i think that i’m just wasting important time, expecially at my age.
But the fact is that i just can’t stay away from music.

I decided to be a part of the community also as a step of my graduation from the second grade of the beginner course. I am currently in the consolidation phase.
I’ve chosen to put out here the 10 songs that will be the degree to pass finally on Grade 3.
Eventually, i want to participate in an open mic event hosted by the community, sadly i’m really struggling to play with other people in real life, which is one of the thing that i want the most. I know 2 people that are really good and are in bands, but i didn’t have fortune in organizing something with them.

If you read till now, thank you!

4 Likes

Hi Alex,
Welcome ,and i wish you a long life with the guitar ,but above all a lot of fun,… :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Alex welcome to the forum

2 Likes

Welcome Alex, really interesting background and I am pleased your friend took you to the guitar store.

No time is wasted with a guitar in your hands no matter what your age!!

Love your ambitions and goals for 10 songs and open mic, really looking forward to hearing how you progress! Good luck and keep on rocking! :metal:

2 Likes

Hey Alex, welcome to the community. Reading your story took me back mentally to when I started playing some 10 years ago. I encourage you to keep at it as it just keeps getting better. I joined a music club and learned heaps from jamming with others and from doing open mics. Lots of nerves, lots of fun.

2 Likes

@roger_holland @stitch thank you!

@Notter thank you, i am looking forward to post something this same week!

@tony thank you for sharing your experience, it’s motivating. Here where i am i really don’t know where and how to find people for jamming, but it’s really something that i want to do as much as possible

2 Likes

Google might help. Social media is another way to find local groups.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to our community Alex. :slight_smile:

Sad about the drums but at least now you have found the guitar. Enjoy your journey.

1 Like

Welcome Alessandro. Bad news about the drums but great for the guitar, enjoy.

2 Likes

Ciao Alessandro, benvenuto nella Community! Che siano successi, domande o difficoltà questo è il posto giusto per condividere, avere e dare supporto.

You’re not wasting time! Setting some life’s goals is important and learning to play an instrument can be part of it! Keep on rocking!

2 Likes

Hi Alessandro, welcome. Playing guitar is fun and safe and healthy fun is welcome at any age. Good you’ve found the time and perseverance to complete Grade 2. Your short stint with the drums is probably helping your guitar playing now.

2 Likes

I found that more than playing drums that was really a long time ago, producing and doing rap helped a lot with sense of rythm and musicality, i already knew what bpm, beats, time, key and so on was.

2 Likes

Welcome GIFs - 21 Animated Images With a Greeting

3 Likes

Hello Alessandro.
What a great introductory post and back story to your musical experiences and your desire to play guitar.
You have a great set of aims to work towards - playing an open mic here and with friends in real life. I don’t recall seeing an AVOYP post from you - have you recorded anything so far?

My advice on grade 2 - you have learned a lot to get to the end of grades 1 and 2. Take your time to consolidate.
I know that grade 3 will be calling and tempting you. I would recommend you build a repertoire of songs, different styles and genres, to really make your techniques and skills secure and solid before you move on.
Learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.
If you go to this page and filter by grades 1 and 2 you can see Justin already has over 200 songs suitable to learn and consolidate with.

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

1 Like

Hello, thank you @Richard_close2u . Yes, i’ve posted a fingerstyle version of Jeff Buckley’s Hallelujah, and a full cover of wild thing by the troggs. I’ve actually learned 8 of the 10 songs that i’ve chosen. I’ve learned others too, but i don’t want them to be in my repertoire for now.

1 Like

Hi Alessandro
Welcome.
No time is ever wasted learning new skills.
You are clearly very passionate about music and have found the right place to feed and encourage that passion.
Keep pursuing your goal and one day you too will be up on that stage with your own band.
Paul

1 Like

Thank you very much for the beautiful words! :heart:

Welcome to the group. I played drums when I was 10 years old too. Dave Grohl in the house lol. The rhythm and counting will help you more than you think when learning guitar. I have been playing here on Justin guitar for 2 years now. Justin’s methods are fantastic, especially his psychology based and deep thinking type lessons. Guitar playing is a chance to lead the show and perform. I am looking forward to seeing what type of artist you will become. Please share your progress when ready. At a minimum, record yourself and watch how much you improve as the weeks go by. For the playing with people comment, if I ever make it to Italia I can stop by to jam out lol. Feel free to watch some of my videos here. I am not shy even if my performance is not the best every time. We are all a work in progress.

Jeff from California

1 Like

Hello, Jeff! Thank you very much for your words, we share a lot of things already :slight_smile: I’ve actually posted 2 videos since i’m here in the Community, and i will continue to do it. I will check yours too!

And count me in if you ever will come in Italy <3