AlexisDuprey - Troy Stetina's Metal Rhythm Guitar Vol.1 - Songs 1-6

Nice playing Alexis and a great tone!
Like your LP, understated is the way to go!

Well done Alexis. I bought Troy’s “getting started on electric guitar” package back in 2004. I still have that book and remember the tune. I am glad after all these years to see someone play it as well as you do. Troy is really talented, but the day I saw his band play I remember him telling me he is not much into teaching beginners. His forte was for more advanced players. Justin is better with teaching beginners…and yes I agree with the others the genuine Gibson Paul sound is unique. If prices were more affordable I would definitely buy one too.

Yeah totally agree, even though his first book “Metal Rhythm Guitar Vol. 1” assumes 0 knowledge it still very very fast paced. So much so that I would recommend going through both grade 1 & grade 2 of justin’s course before anyone really starts it.

Wow that is some crazy great tone and guitar, sounded superb to me! Love the energy of this track here, just missing serious head swinging from the performer :grin: joking aside nice execution and great tune!

1 Like

Thanks Adrian, I used a guitarrig6 preset to get the tone. Didn’t even change any knobs cause the default felt perfect for the song.

Been working on chapter 2 of Troy Stetina’s metal rhythm guitar volume 1 book for a month now as part of my grade 2 consolidation. This chapter is all about palm muting and 3 string power chords and using them together. My palm muting skills did not feel great before this and I still think it needs work, but much better than before. Finally got the chapter song to a point where I’m ready to move on:

As always advice and feedback always appreciated!

10 Likes

Hi Alexis,
That sounded nice and tight to my ears … and a great sound :clap: :sunglasses: :bouquet: :metal:
Greetings…

2 Likes

That sounded great Alexis. You are in your element. You are coming along fantastically. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Thanks! @Socio @roger_holland

This was definitely a step up in difficulty for me as it was a pretty fast song at 120bpm. Since this is a rhythm book, I approach all of the songs with that in mind. I try to make stay in the pocket as much as possible.

1 Like

Sounding very good. Nice tone - looks like you’re building up a really strong foundation which will put you in good stead

1 Like

There are a lot of tricky changes but you pulled them off really nice Alexis, well done on your progress!

1 Like

You are powering on, Alex, well done. What are your longer term aspirations … your own metal band?

I think your palm muting is working well to go with a suitable tone and accurate left-hand work. If I’d heard this and been told it was an original recording from any of those metal bands that have this sound, such as Metallica, I’d believe it.

1 Like

Really kind words here David. I’d give most of the credit to Troy’s backing track and arrangements. The songs are really solid for songs arranged specifically for learning rhythm guitar. I also feel like I’m getting a little better at using garageband to mix the tracks. I did feel though my guitar is slightly low when Troy hits the really loud solos. Though we are our own biggest critics of course.

Aspiration wise, only to be able to play the songs I loved as a kid, the ones that inspired me to learn the instrument…and maybe shred a little. As a 30 something with a full time job, wife, and child I think it would be impossible to find time to play in a band let alone gig though I think that would be cool. Definitely something I would have tried when I was a teenager if I had the sense to stick with the instrument way back when. If only I found Justin earlier, hah, but alas. Right now I’m just content with sharing my progress with you lovely people.

1 Like

Sounded spot on. If I just heard it out of context, I wouldn’t have known it was a “student” playing!

1 Like

Awesome man, definitely tight playing! Those power chord and palm muting skills look ace.

I think you’re ready for the next step in metal guitar… arm and hand tattoos, and either a shaved head or long hair (your choice!). :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously good dude.

1 Like

Really liked that! Nice playing great sound.

Does Troy supply the backing tracks then? Decent lead on it!

1 Like

Nicely played Alex and a great tone, what amp setup are you using?
Like it :metal:t2::metal:t2::metal:t2:

1 Like

Hah, I went to a Metal concert a couple of weeks ago and maybe 80% of the attendees had 1 or all of those!

Yup, each book comes with a code that gives you MP3s of all the examples, a full version of the songs with rhythm (So you can listen and play along with), and a full backing track with the rhythm missing (that’s the one I’m using here).

He has this for 11/12 of the songs from Volumes 1 & 2. The last song doesn’t because the first version of the book (all the way back in the 80’s) only the 1 final song in it. When he updated it he added the 11 songs with full backing track.

I’m using a Boss Katana MKII, bass turned up high, scooping the mid, slightly elevated treble. I don’t remember which of the distortion effects I’m using, but I know I put the gain up really high. Also have a tiny bit of reverb.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the distortion effect is on top of the crunch channel.

2 Likes

Nice rhythm and good chord changes!! Though I could never get into heavy metal. I like some though such as Metallica and five finger death punch. That’s about it though. Great job!

1 Like

Thanks Byron! I’m a huge metal fan though not so much the harder death metal stuff. My tastes are very eclectic, I like everything from folk to metal.