AlexisDuprey - Troy Stetina's Metal Rhythm Guitar Vol.1 - Songs 1-6

That was definitely inspired by Enter Sandman! Sounded really good Alexis. Great groove, good playing. I like how you set up your videos too.

1 Like

Congrats on finishing MRG V1, Alexis! Super stuff! :clap::clap::clap:
Great playing on that final track too, very impressed by your precision and sense of timing (both of which are major struggles for me, I need to adopt some of your discipline to studying methinks! :joy:).
Looking forward to seeing what comes next. You’re definitely on the right path towards metal god status! :metal::confounded:

1 Like

Another well executed project, Alexis, showcasing your ability to play with feel and get great tone.

Inspired by :thinking: I’m not deeply into Metallica but I’d say it was the riff and the copyright police might be all over that. :grin:

Do you practice and play standing up? Based on all you’ve shared I’d imagine somewhere down the line you may want to be in a band and performing live. And that music just wouldn’t work with the players sitting sedately on the stage :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks! @jkahn @nzmetal @DavidP

I feel like I’m starting to get the hang of how I want my videos set up. Camera angle being something that I’ve experimented with a lot since I started recording my self. I think I found a good place for my tripod though I think I should move a little to the left to center my guitar instead of myself in the frame.

That’s kind of you to say Jeff, though I don’t think I’m all that precise. Rhythm I always feel I’m in a good place with but accuracy has been a big problem for me. I can see half a dozen places where I mess up. I suppose we are our own worse enemy though, lol. Plus I’ve played the song so many times at this point that I know the parts that I’m likely to screw up on and hyper focus on it. :laughing:

Besides the couple weeks I took practicing the module in grade 2 where justin talks about it I haven’t really practiced standing. I want to, but it’s so uncomfortable now that it feels like taking a step back when I play. I know that I just have to push through, but I’ve been procrastinating on this one for sure. :laughing:

2 Likes

Great playing Alexis! Makes me want to learn some metal - I wouldn’t know where to start!

1 Like

Thanks Phil! The book I’m using is pretty good and based on the AVOYP of yours I’ve seen you’d probably pick up metal really quick. I’d usually recommend completing Justin’s grade 2 before looking at a book like Troy’s but you’re well beyond that.

I’m totally with you on that! That little voice in my head always pops up… “Right, 75% of the way through the song, been going okay, now don’t stuff up that tricky section and you’re home free… Aw I stuffed it up again!” :face_with_monocle::confounded::sweat_smile:

:rofl: Jeff. I can probably tell you the exact moment in seconds where I think essentially exactly what you said in this video lol.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Alex, This is heavy duty stuff and sounding really good; got the licks in with the rhythm and super tone. Nice performance. I’ll be looking forward to you multitracking the rhythm and lead; I’m sure you’ll get it. Keep on it.

1 Like

Thanks Dave, your recent AVOYP has been inspiring to me. Hopefully one day I can play lead lines as effortlessly as you. :slight_smile:

That is awesome Alexis, it sounds great! Congratulations for finishing the book :blush::raised_hands::blush::raised_hands:

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time out to watch Silvia.

1 Like

So good Alexis! Not a style of music I’ve ever tried to play so can’t contribute anything useful for you. But that was a great listen.

1 Like

Well,
I was was drinking some cava and this metal stuff came up. Wow, what a great vibe you got going there! Old Les Paul was sounding pretty good for sure. You tone is a good for this and there I have to agree with you!

Nice work all around and all the best to you!
LB

1 Like

@LBro @Willsie01 Thanks!

Well that was pretty impressive playing! Chugging rhythm and the riffs were right on, and great tone as well. I was going to say I need to listen to more metal :metal:, then I remembered this isn’t quite Enter Sandman!! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Mari!

Serious missed opportunity for Troy to name this song “not quite enter sandman” or something like exit sandman, lol.

1 Like

Exit Sandman, that’s a good one lol

1 Like

Another great job Alexis. It was a really good idea to work through the Rock book, as it’s means we’ve been able to watch you grow with each recording.

Excellent playing, as always.