All the small things - first recording

Well been here a couple of weeks and thought I’d better get something posted.

Here is my current level on All The Small Things - Blink-182. With a basic 10W kit amp the tone is the best I could get. Gotta work out how to up the recording quality but hey I’m no artist .

My own observations, I normally play with headphones playing to the speaker I couldn’t really hear the song so lost time a little in places.

Still working on getting the palm muting consistent. Sorta hit it on off at the moment.

I’ve only really just started playing standing so getting comfy with that now is good, surprised how much it does impact you however.

Cheers in advance!

15 Likes

An important milestone. It’s great Rhys that you can be objective about your playing, to find what’s working and what needs polish. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks Batwoman

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats, Rhys. First recording a milestone to celebrate and it showcases excellent progress.

I thought the tone was pretty good, nothing to feel apologetic about. Possibly you could turn up the volume of the BT just a smidge in the video.

Your guitar and left arm position look pretty. The thing to pay attention to is the angle of the bend of your wrist. It doesn’t look too severe on the video but perhaps a slight guitar position adjustment could reduce the bend a little more. But if you experience no sense of stress in a long playing session then all is good.

To my ears … admittedly not the most acute … your muting of the low E when playing PC with root on the A string is on point, which is critical when pumping 8s on those PC rockers.

The rhythm was pretty solid as well. I did notice a pause in the strum for the 1/8 note rest and maybe you want to work on keeping the down strums going but just miss the strings for rest. That said, I could see your body keeping time, so I don’t think it was necessarily throwing you out of the groove.

Keep on keeping on, ever onward, and I look forward to your next.

2 Likes

Mate thanks a tonne for the review.

Wrist feels ok in this spot but I’ll keep an eye on it, early days learning to play standing so I’m not putting in long shifts.

Funny I picked up the pause between 8/8 and 1/8 when listening back too. I think I fixed it by not being so eager to jump to the next chord and letting 8/8 have its time to shine then being a bit more snappy on 1/8.

BT will be louder next time to help me out as much as you. I was concerned I’d drown myself out if I put it louder but ended up not being able to hear the BT myself which made thing difficult for me. All the fun of learning to record. Happy I got my first bit of public exposure done though.

Cheers

2 Likes

Great vid @FunkyFingers, thanks for the share. Guitar looks pretty cool as well.

1 Like

Dude as an Aussie I found Artist guitars and reckon they are the $#it.

Seem to be a great build for a great price for us Sth Hemisphere guys. Out of the box just felt great, was set up well with intonation etc predone. Only complaint would be frets needed a little buff.

That’s it. Love this guitar.

1 Like

I’ve seen Artist advertise online. They seem to be all over any Google search I do. I was wondering what it was, classic SG shape. Glad it plays as well as it looks.

1 Like

Congrats on your first post Rhys, always a big step making that first recording. Nothing to add other than to echo what @DavidP mentions. But as an initial post well done, iron out those self identified issues and come back with round two !

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Vibes for posting your first AVoYP Rhys. Well done, that was a real power chord work out!
I look forward to more from you.

1 Like

Congrats on a great first avoyp Rhys. Big milestone. I like a bit of blink and this sounded cool. Tone sounded good to me and great rhythm. Well done dude

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Rhys.

It sounded very cool. Not an easy song I suspect and you kept up with it well. Nice changes. You should be really pleased with what you have achieved. Bravo!

1 Like

As I mentioned on my other post, nice song choice mate. A bit of nostalgia is always good… cheers for sharing.

1 Like

Cheers mate.

I enjoy the energy of the Blink182 boys and it takes me back to my last few years of high school.
Looking forward to when I can play some of the embellishments and lil solos to add to the song.

Nice work Rhys, especially with the playing standing up, something I’m working on atm too but not happy enough to share for AVOYP :wink: . It sounded like you got much tighter as the song went on, plus an awesome tone for the song too :+1:

1 Like

This is great, one of my favourites and currently a work in progress. That and Rolling in the Deep. Both are making my arm fall off.

I sympathise with the palm muting but sounded great.

1 Like

Good job Rhys. The game for me is to get good sound of the gear I currently have and you have done so with yours.

1 Like

Very good Rhys…bounced along nicely and even though it’s got a few rough edges you knew what song was being played. Kudos for standing up…it’ll pay off in the future.

1 Like

Honestly just started with standing up. Powerchords I can pull it off, not much else. Gotta just get used to the feeling. Its also really helping me not look at the chords when playing them because it pretty much impossible to look at the fret board while standing.

Next vid will be sitting I reckon and something a little more open chords.

1 Like

Cheers. chugging 8s = fine, with a palm mute grrr. the 4th string rings out if Im not really careful. As you say a work in progress.