Alternating Strumming Patterns Within a Song

A song usually has more than one strumming pattern; here’s how you easily transition between them and add a pro touch to your rhythm guitar!

5 Likes

Hi strummers, Any suggestions for popular songs that have the requisite alternate strumming patterns? I tend to gravitate to one pattern sub consciously whilst playing along with my regular playlist so I’m looking for some good alternative tunes. Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
Mike

1 Like

What grade lol, I just did this with “Nobody Leaves A Girl Like That” which is grade 1 but it worked nicely I think but, which grade are you looking for.

R.

1 Like

Thanks to you both for the responses, this part of the course is looking for songs that have differing strum patterns i.e. one pattern for the verse and another for the chorus, bridge etc. I’ll certainly check out your suggestions as I’m familiar with the songs.

Cheers
Mike

1 Like

Mike, in the lesson content Justin writes:

You are not limited to songs that already have an alternating pattern set within them already. Just try it out playing over the top of any song.

1 Like

Thanks Richard, this is a real test of my concentration, which I guess is the object of the exercise :slightly_smiling_face: The songs I’ve been trying this exercise with have tended to be single patterns (or that’s what I hear in my head) so sound wrong when I try to play them with different patterns. I’m now trying some other songs with simple chord progressions to work on the exercise.

1 Like

That is a good idea, it will be more difficult to play over songs that are very busy with lots of instruments, the simpler the better as you will be able to impose your alternating patterns on a fairly basic backdrop.

Cheers Richard, appreciate you feedback :+1:

1 Like

Mike, I don’t know which grade you are, but I asume, somewhere around grade 2. A few months ago, I was looking for a good practice song with alternating patterns too and I chose “Take me home country roads”. 1. It’s an all time classic, 2. There’s a really good basic version in Justin’s song app, good for play along, rhythm and trying out to change between patterns, 3. I’ve found a really helpful chord sheet on Ultimate Guitar, including 2 alternating strumming patterns between verses and choruses, 4. the song is a good developer, because you can add skills like picking out the bass notes or alternating bass notes, etc., 5. Justin has a lesson on it.
For me, it was a really good exercise to work on rhythm, timing, chord transitions, getting fluent transitions between 2 strumming patterns, etc. As the song goes pretty fast at 164 bpm, I slowed it down a bit. Maybe that helps?

2 Likes

Mike,
Follow the above suggestion about using songs you already know. Record the song the way you play it now then try changing the pattern. I found this to be a challenge after you have already locked a pattern in your head. I’ve been struggling with “It’s only rock n roll” to change from how a normally play it. Think about the dynamics (loud and soft) in addition to the pattern.

2 Likes

Thanks @JGAdmin, This is harder than I thought when concentrating and counting. I think I will spend some time on this lesson for a while.

I chose knocking on heavens door Bob Dylan.

Simple 8th note down strums for the verse and a 16th note pattern for the chorus. Slow progress but starting to get a bit smoother transitions the more I play it. :+1:

1 Like

This lesson is helping me to build skills that I actually lacked. After one month of practice, doing the exercise as Justin shows, I could appreciate that I had developed the feeling for the 4 bars without needing to count anymore. I’m now on my second month of practice and the feeling for the 8 bars is already here! I have to be honest, when I started to work on this lesson the 12 bars feeling was like kind of pure utopia for me, but now…well let’s see…I’ll let you know in a few months if I’ll be able to achieve that too.

I can well see how all this is related to the song structure and there’s no shortcut but only a lot of repeated physical practice on the exercises to make the songs I love sound how I feel they should sound and to be eventually able to “play by feeling”.

Once more, thanks so much for this Course! :blush:

3 Likes

Too true. What a great post affirming that the effort is worth the reward. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today is day 1 for me with this course. I can’t do the new pattern consistently yet, even without changing. Hopefully the rote learning will kick in and I can make it to step one.

2 Likes

Happy strumming Jeff, I know this is the course for you! I’m doing it as well and I’m only a couple of lessons foward. Justin shows very clearly how to do the exercises, take your time on each lesson and don’t move on until you feel confident.

1 Like

Hi Silvia,

It’s great to see a familiar person doing the same course. I’m sure if you watched my open mic or recent videos you would agree my strumming needs development. I’m optimistic this course will help me improve. Have a great day.

2 Likes