Amp effects or Pedal Boards?

Hi all
I started ,like many others , with my first electric guitar and bought a Amp (Fender somthing) and now have a Katana Mk 2.
Both really good amps, however…
As I progressed in my playing I found a “problem” that I had never envisaged.
My set up allows me to play backing tracks / recorded songs from my computer through my Katana as well as my guitar simultaneously.
Great, thought I, until I wanted some effects on my playing (delay, reverb etc).
The problem is that the effects are on the Amp and are applied to everything, backing tracks, songs etc… some very weird sounds. :thinking:.
I only have one pedal (delay) so the Amp has to be set clean. Even small effect setting, like reverb makes the BT / songs sound “off”.
So, would a novice player be better advised to buy a Amp with little or no effects and Pedals when needed .
When playing without any other sound input the effects and sound possibilities on the Katana are endless and can be inspiring.
Looking back I wonder, if I had known or thought about it I’m thinking I would have gone down the clean Amp and pedal board option.
I’m sure there are many good arguments for both options.
Any thoughts?
Mike

This sounds very strange. I have only used 2 amps in my life (neither one a Katana, though), but neither of them had this “feature”. The aux input was not altered by the amp settings.

This would seem to be a horrible design flaw.

I just play backing tracks using my stereo. The BT thing is always a hassle in some way. :slight_smile:

I bought an effects processor and then an amp to play it thru. I have options to play thru the processor or amp, but I still choose to use my home stereo setup because it is a lot easier.

I run Justin lessons through my tablet which sits on a music stand. The sound is good enough and I haven’t found a reason to need to run his lessons through the guitar speaker.

There are two parts to an amp. Pre Amp and Power Amp. The Pre Amp part is the bit that will apply the effects to your guitar signal…before it gets sent to the Power Amp. If you are using the Aux In on the amp to send your backing track to it it will go straight to the Power Amp WHICH will bypass the Pre Amp part and any effects so they wont be applied.

Can you describe how you are sending your backing tracks to your amp? What is plugged into what?

1 Like

If you are sending the backing tracks to the Katana via USB, there are actually 2 stereo channels on the USB:

The “primary” channel does not apply any effects. However, it can only be heard via the headphone out, not via the Katana speaker

The “secondary” channel can be heard via the Katana speaker, but has all of the effects applied.

I’m not sure, offhand, about the aux input.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Same!

If you have a convenient way to stream audio (in my case, a Sonos system) there’s no reason to put the backing track through the Katana other than if you are using headphones.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Them mate your setup is wrong. I am sure the katana wont apply effects to its line in isnt that designed for this?

1 Like

On my Katana if i use the usb connection then it applies effects to all—if I use the aux in or my bluetooth receiver then there is no problem

1 Like

Hi all again.
I can play backing tracks songs from my comp but my speakers are poor. I don’t have money to spare for decent ones .
I have my comp ( Win 10 ) connected via USB. This was to use the Tone Studio program .
Up to this point I was using my Comp/ monitor to play backing tracks/ songs through the monitor ( a old LED tv ).
Then one time I had turned the Tone Studio on but not the Amp.
When I turned the Amp on Win 10 changed the sound output from the monitor (tv) to Katana.
Hell of a shock when Meatloaf bellowed Bat out of Hell from the Katana.
It was the Katana secondary output ( in the windows settings box ).
I played about a bit just to see what was going on.
The Windows list showed Katana Primary, Toshiba speakers (monitor)
Katana secondary and then laptop speakers.
The Katana Primary does’nt do anything, only the secondary setting sends sound to the Amp.
The Aux in works as Tommion says , just have to balance the volumes.
Its a Katana Mk2 50w. sorry should have said as the 100w has more functions.
Its not a problem as such and as a bedroom player is not going to affect me greatly but that was what made me think about the whole AmpFX / Pedal board situation.
Some cool and informative replies.
Thanks to all
Mike

I didn’t even know this was a thing when I started. I bought a basic amp and just assumed I needed a pedal board. I’m glad I did it that way because it has meant that I can thoroughly explore each effect as I add it in. So I twiddle all the knobs, try all the settings, play with it for a while and decide what I like… or maybe that I don’t like it at all. There is a good market for used pedals and most of mine are second hand.

I’m a person who can’t handle “option overload” so when I am learning something new I want to simplify as much as possible.

1 Like

Same. To the point where my backing tracks are now played on my iPad sitting on the couch next to me. For me, practice is about the quality of MY playing, not the backing band’s. And I got sick of messing around with bluetooth connections or cables.

2 Likes

Not quite correct.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Amp effects or Pedal Boards?

Yes to both, and I would also add a DAW with good effects, and good cab & amp sims. Why limit your options?

Because…

Don’t sell yourself short. Think of it as a tonal menu served up from a fine dining audio restaurant. Tomorrow can be a blues pot roast with a choice of distortion side dishes. This is fine dining but the ambiance is casual to be sure. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel more like the wine taster who doesn’t spit out each time. After trying a half dozen they all get to be the same. :woozy_face:

It’s just guitar tone. Play on playa!

Don’t work at it too long. I get the same way after a bit and just need to clear out my hearing with something different - like mostly nothing usually. I also come back a day later and hear something I saved and sometimes wonder what I was thinking. Do a little bit on something that sounds nice early on in your fiddling, and then use that to play for a bit. come back to it later and see if you still like it or can identify something you think it needs to have adjusted.

1 Like

The AUX port adds nothing. You just get the original track.

@oldhippy Mike, just change your, audio out, setting on your PC to your systems sound card.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, this means the connection is with an audio cable (1/8" jacks on each end), instead of the USB cable.

I also have the Katana 50 and connect my phone to the amp using this method.

2 Likes