Another Knocking on Heaven's door video

This is my first video here. I introduced myself last year but I wasn’t very active. I was active in Justin’s FB group - “Class of 2023” where I joined challenges, discussions and posted few progress videos of myself playing. Those videos are here if someone is interested (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxthY-2FV6MyQj2SziI7H0rZpPQa1dchb). We were asked last December to switch to this forum from FB and that is exactly what I am doing. :slight_smile:

This is still very much work in progress, but I thought it is better to post something.
Picking (intro and verses) is almost 3 months of practicing. The solo 1 I started approx. this time last year as my first solo. I switched quickly and concentrated on Let it be solo, but practiced this one as well.

Thank you for listening, any feedback is greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Glad to have you here, Boris, and good to finally go more into the Guns’n’Roses direction :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s easy to notice that you have invested lots of time in practicing this song. Nothing clever to comment in terms of what you could do better. But I will grumble and mumble that the solo was too short. I really liked the tone and the “feel” and would have liked to listen to your second video much longer.

Looking for to your finished version of this Guns’n"Roses cover :notes:

2 Likes

I liked the feel and the tone, you’re getting close to get it like the original song. Good job :clap:

1 Like

Thank you very much for the kind words, Nicole. I appreciate it! The main problem with the whole song is solo 2 which is significantly more complex and outside of my abilities right now. But I will keep practicing until I get it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Carlos! I use modeller amp and with these things getting close in tone is quite simple - someone made profile/settings for sure, you just need to find and compare a few. :smiley:

1 Like

Good on you Boris, nice playing. Sounds like that is a song you might develop further and do the second solo one day :grinning:

1 Like

Congrats on your first AVOYPs in the community, Boris! :slight_smile:

Well played on both, loved the tone and touch of the solo. Hope you’ll keep on it to get down the second one, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Boris! Good job on your first video on this forum!

The only thing that really stuck out to me is that your strumming hand doesn’t cinsistently move to keep you in time. It really makes a difference when you can nail this down. I would suggest putting some work in on that one. Even when there is a break in the music. I make sure that hand is still moving and keeping that rhythm!!

Other than that, kudos on a job well done! Smooth chord changes. Maybe a small flub here and there on your power chords. But all in all, an excellent job!

Rock on!
Darren

1 Like

@Lisa_S , @jkahn
Thank you very much! That is the plan, I am very determined to get the song in full. :smiley:

@Dman74
You are spot on, I got similar comment from Richard some time ago. I think I improved this significantly when I play some busy strum songs, but with longer breaks I still tend to stop. They are definitely not natural for me - I need to work on that. Thank you very much Darren!

3 Likes

Hi Boris,
Nice and that solo sound and playing was absolutely nice :sunglasses: :clap:
Keep on going :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Nice progress Boris, looking forward to hear how this develops :sunglasses:

1 Like

I don’t have any input other than I really enjoyed both videos.

1 Like

Looking and souding good to me Boris, kudos for the time invested in it so far :+1:

Damn fine looking and sounding guitar too :slight_smile:

1 Like

@roger_holland , @TheMadman_tobyjenner , @WonderMonkey , @Notter

Thank you so much for the nice words, I appreciate it! :slight_smile: This will definitely help with my motivation, such a nice community. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great first AVOYP. Nicely played and nice guitar. Those 3 months on the picking have certainly worked that will be a very useful skill going forward. Look forward to your next AVOYP.

1 Like

Thank you Eric! I think so as well, intro/verses are fantastic picking speed/accuracy/rhythm exercise. I am still not there at 100% speed, I intentionally recorded this without metronome. :slight_smile: With metronome, it is obvious I am at time chasing beats or delaying to land on one. But the improvement is really good since I started this and I use picking now much more with strumming as well.

I’ve never tried the intro the way you play it. I’ll be re-watching it to try and learn. Thanks!

1 Like

This might help, much easier than watching me playing. :grin:

This is great! Very helpful - and thoughtful.
Thank you.

1 Like

Sounded awsome Boris! Well done! :clap::clap::clap:
Have totally forgotten about this version of the song
That white PRS looks great too! :grin:

1 Like