Any Amateur Luthiers?

Hi everyone,

One thing I learned about Luthiers, is that they are like any other professionals - there are good ones and there are bad ones. I seemed to get more than my share of bad ones and got tired of feeling like I was wasting my money. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and learn the trade, so to speak. I bought some Luthier tools off of Amazon for about $50, a $20 Squire Bullet that looked like it had seen every college dorm east of the Big Muddy and went at it. Oh yeah - YouTube Videos -lots and lots of You Tube.
That was about 8 months ago or so. What I learned is that many of the things I would never have attempted before (intonation, fret dressing etc) are, with the right tools and approach, actually straightforward and doable.
Iā€™ve gotten respectable results and with that gradually moved on to more serious stuff. The most challenging Iā€™ve done so far is leveled and dressed frets, but Iā€™ve also straightened necks, adjusted saddles, bridges and nuts to spec, etc. Iā€™m always open to tips, resources or just conversation. Hereā€™s the finished Bullet. (Of course it doesnā€™t help that I didnā€™t take a ā€˜beforeā€™ photoā€¦ :roll_eyes:)

7 Likes

Looks great! I have had fun with guitar tech as well. That bullet looks great and I bet it plays well! Even more ā€œyourā€ guitar now, so what is not to love?

A local luthier to me has acoustic guitar building classes. He told me most students end up playing the guitars they built over bought models that are much ā€œbetterā€, because the guitar they built is the guitar they love.

I took a beat up old strat and replaced the electronics, bridge, adjusted the pickups, and yanked all the frets and put new ones on. All without buying tools! Of course, I have too many tools to start with. No significant nut work, though.

On my steel string, I have fixed a saddle, but paid to get the nut done.

I also have taken a classical and cleared and glued a bunch of dehydration cracks. I just hope no one which any knowledge looks under the hood of that one. What a hack job. Worked though and the guitar plays fine.

Mostly I do routine maintenance, like truss rods and the like, and since I am moving away from electric, I wonā€™t do more of that.

You tube has been super helpful! But some things seem scary even when the guitar is worth so little it doesnā€™t matter if you mess up.

1 Like

Nice to make your acquaintanceā€¦

Fret work as you describe is pretty ambitious for me - but I applaud the skill and craftsmanship it takes to take on such a task. Iā€™ll likely stick to routine stuff, but there is no doubt about the ā€˜fear factorā€™ you mention. Itā€™s worth it to me because itā€™s as you say in the end it all yours, just the way you like it. A side perk is that through tinkering, Iā€™ve come to regard guitars differently and appreciate them on an entirely new level. (Iā€™m reminded of John Hiattā€™s ā€œPerfectly Good Guitarā€). Itā€™s really added an unforeseen and interesting dimension to my playing experience.

Do either of you, or for that matter any others with some experience (@TheCluelessLuthier) know anything about what it takes to rescue a guitar that has caved?
I have a '70s Dorado (Japanese Gretsch) that I have had since high school. It never had ā€˜loving careā€™ and the press board case rotted away many years ago. Much of the guitar is still in decent shape, but when I took it to a Luthier to see if the action could be lowered, he said the guitar had caved and there wasnā€™t a cost-effective way to salvage it.
Well, my labor is cheap and I am thinking of having a go at it. I am an accomplished woodworker but guitars are not something I have any experience with.
Advice?

Has the guitar been exposed to a dry climate for a long while?
Iā€™m no expert, but Iā€™ve learned from Taylor that long term exposure to low humidity can cause a guitar top to cave. If this is the case, (big if) it can be reversed by carefully and slowly re-introducing moisture via an instrument humidifier designed for such a purpose. You shouldnā€™t have to look too far to find something that works for you. The best part is that itā€™s low expense no grunt work involved. Good luck

Hey guys, I really just started building acoustic guitars early this year. I just finished my 2nd StewMac kit and found that I love it. Iā€™ve decided to make that my main retirement hobbie. I am redesigning my shop and buying & building tools and jigs to start building from scratch. These are the only ones I have done the fret work on. I will probably double check my work on the first one after being much more confident with the second. I have watched a crazy number of youtube videos. In fact, watching some done by Driftwood Guitars got my interested in the first place. I have never dealt with a caved neck, but I agree that you should make sure it is properly hydrated first. At least you will have taken that off the table. I also recommend checking out the Amatuer Acoustic Luthier Facebook page. They have helped me with a number of questions. I usually start getting replies within a couple of hours. If nothing else, this will be an adventure and you will undoubtedly learn a few things. If you have woodworking experience you will be in good shape. Just take you time with it. Iā€™d like to hear how you make out.

Pictures would help, but it may need a new sound board. Which could be done, but would be a ton of work.

Maybe with heat, you could work off the soundboard and see if you can fix or flatten it, but some things arenā€™t worth the trouble.

See what the website for amateur luthiers has to say.

Edit: my spell check corrected ā€œamateurā€ to ā€œa matureā€ā€¦.so yes, that too.

Hi Gary, good hobby/ pastime. Should you require any suggestions concerning anything guitar related a very good site to check is ā€˜knowyourgear.comā€™. The guy is not a luthier but has worked on guitars for years and has lots of how to vids.

@Jamolay;
Thanks - it cleaned up pretty good and now plays as it was meant to. Iā€™ve worked mostly on electrics, but starting to play acoustic more and want to be able to care and service them properly also. Iā€™m a rookie and donā€™t have a ton of tools, and much more a fearless (but cautious) tinkerer than a wood craftsman so I buy tools and learn trade tricks as needed. The Bullet was a good learning project and you are right - the bond that comes with bringing a guitar back to life is the payout. Interestingly, through these projects, Iā€™ve come to really appreciate all guitars regardless of brand-name or perceived quality, even the likes of bottom-end Bullets. It really does ā€˜break my heartā€™ to see how some are thrashed, and I see no ā€˜romanceā€™ in it at all.
This hard-to-find1967-68 hollow-body Kent (Kawai) was purchased at auction. It was part of a large collection that included drool-worthy Martin, Taylor, Alvarez, Gibson and Fender guitars as well as mandolins, banjos, violins, amps etc. It appeared to have been sitting in itā€™s original case, apparently untouched for maybe 20-30 years. After some necessary fret and neck work, action adjustments, a gentle cleaning and new strings, it plays like whipped cream tastes and has quickly become my ā€˜new favoriteā€™. Pretty sexy, huhā€¦?

Iā€™ve never heard of dehydration cracks, and would like to see a pic of the ā€˜hack jobā€™. I donā€™t know about you, but for better or worse, my mistakes are the first thing I see in a finished project. Sighā€¦
As for truss rods, Iā€™m to understand that the same adjustment principles and processes apply irregardless of electric/acoustic, providing there is one to begin with.
@Malz;
Thanks for the tip - I have used Stew-Mac quite a lot - that old guy is like everybodyā€™s favorite grandfather! Iā€™ve gotten some good leads to resources from other responders and always looking to expand my knowledge resource library,
@TheCluelessLuthier
I was to understand that it was the sound board had caved on Robertā€™s Dorado - perhaps I misunderstood. An over-relieved neck can be corrected. Some require a more intense approach than than others, depending. But if itā€™ is the soundboard and if itā€™s because of exposure to low humidity, Iā€™d try introducing moisture first because itā€™s relatively non-invasive, effective and low cost.
On a separate note, I applaud you for your new direction. (ā€œWhen passion meets ability, expect a masterpieceā€ - John Ruskin). The design possibilities are endless. I bought a Stew-Mac Strat once and wanted to carve a design into the body, but had too much going on and never got around to it. Maybe somedayā€¦Think about sharing some pics of your projects at various stages of completion. And finally, thanks for the site suggestions - you can never have too many!

3 Likes

The ā€œhack jobā€:

It really wasnā€™t terrible, just about 6 cracks some along the bracing. Payed $200 for the guitar. Would have been $800 plus without the cracks. The patina makes me unworried about abusing it. The finish took a hit though. I am not skilled at that.

@Papa_g The sound board is what I understood also. Here are pictures of my first 2 ā€œchildrenā€. I actually put the builds on a YouTube channel. That is where ā€˜The Clueless Luthierā€™ tag name came from. I believe in truth in advertising. :wink: The first is a 12 fret 000 and the second is a 14 fret OM.

You are way too modestā€¦These are exquisite. And nothing to be ashamed about the ā€˜hackā€™ job - finish blemishes or not. Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s one sweet-playing and sounding piece.

Those are some pretty guitars! You should be proud and I am jealous! How do you like the 12 fret? My brain wants one, but (silly brain) I have never played one.:man_facepalming:t3:

Thanks, I am really happy with them and they sound incredible. The advantage of a custom build is that you can make them more responsive than a manufacturer can. They donā€™t know how they will be treated so they have to overbuild them. I do have to be more careful on the finish if I am going to sell them though. I am hoping my shop remodel and some new tools will make it easier to do. I am really getting into the inlay work which surprises me. It gives them an individual character.

Thanks, the 12 fret has a very nice sustain and I think would cut through a mix well. It is good for fingerstyle which I really enjoy. I was pretty daring for a first guitar in thinning and voicing the top. I paid off in the responsiveness.

Wow! So fun, except one thing I have learned is that although I am technically savvy and can fix and do a lot, I have no ability to be fastidious and finish work, anything fine and precise and I can make a mess of it.

I will probably buy my guitarsā€¦.

I understand completely. I am not detail oriented by nature, it is something I am striving to learn. It turns out that this is a pretty good avenue for that.

I have watched Phil quite a bit, and I agree that he is very knowledgeable. He also knows the business of guitar sales very well.

1 Like

Setting up a guitar is something every guutar player should be able to do after restringing. Everyone has their own personal preferences and letā€™s be honest, itā€™s too expensive to have someone else do it.

Changung the frets is a level further, or at least it seems like that to me.

Your guitar looks nice @Papa_G

1 Like

Beign able to build and repair guitars is amazing and even the first, basic things are useful as a ā€œregularā€ guitarist. It helps you find whatā€™s wrong and sometimes just fixing it yourself as you go!

In my (on this Community strongly propagated) opinion, a guitarists should know

• how to tune
  • how to change string and know when to do so.
  • how to determine if intontation is off and how to fix it
  • how to feel that the action on a string is off and know how to adjust a saddle
  • lubricate the nut
  • determine wheter nut slots are wide or deep enough.
  • find the reason for string breakage
  • clean body and fretboard.
    determine whether the neck is straight and in the right position + bowing correcly
  • know the deal with the action on the 12th string versus the rest of the guitar (bow)

If you know the stuff above, you can take the basic parts of a guitar apart, put it back together and do a (sub)average setup :smiley:

This is my guitar. There are many like it but this one is mine :wink:

2 Likes