Any cons for preferring 0.6mm picks?

I see most people preferring thicker picks but 450hrs into my guitar journey I still prefer 0.6mm ones for strumming and basic picking. Is it weird and are there any drawbacks?

Could it be that thinner picks work better with thinner strings? I’m on Custom Lights.

Totally down to you and what you play

Some prefer thicker picks, i think this helps with lead guitar.

Some dont ever use a pick

1 Like

I used .60 nylon for a long time. About a year ago I switched to .73 nylon, and will probably stay there. No reason to not use what you’re comfortable with.

1 Like

The material of the pick matters too, different materials have different stiffness.

I use usually use orange tortex (0.6mm) for strumming, yellow (0.73mm) for strumming mixed with reasonably simple lead lines, and green (0.88) for lead.

4 Likes

I use a 2mm pick most of the time, so a lot is personal preference.

Thinner picks are better for strumming and I will sometimes switch to a thinner one in that case. Thicker picks are better for control (obviously, up to a point).

Use what you feel comfortable with, but it’s worth experimenting with different pick shapes, materials, sizes, and thicknesses as you continue on your guitar journey.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Years ago i started out with picks around the same thickness.
These days i’m preffering Dunlop primetones, 1,5mm…

These things differ to taste and what feels good at the time…

1 Like

I mostly use a large Jazz pick at 1.5mm but I used to play with 0.6 a lot on acoustic, when I started using the Jazz pick on electric I gradually switched to using them for everything.
There’s no reason why you shouldn’t change to thicker ones if you’re happy with what you’re doing with the thinner ones.

1 Like

I started out with very thin picks .5mm more from an ease of playing point of view, it helped with strumming consistency early on. I now pretty much use .6mm all the time as I find a noticeable difference in tone from the slightly thicker pick (crazy really that .1mm of difference is that noticeable!). But ultimately as above, go with what feels best for you to use, no cons particularly as far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

As @jkahn alluded to above, telling someone what thickness pick you use is only telling half the story. The material is important too. Tortex is much stiffer than nylon for example.

2 Likes

Chris @jacksprat
You are right you need to know the material.
I use JD 0.6 nylon and have 0.6 JD maxi grip which is also nylon and it is stiffer.
Michael

1 Like

I use a JD 0.6mm the majority of the time. For rhythm playing they work very well… 0.73 is just that bit nicer if you are playing a mix of rhythm and lead. The thicket pick just allows a bit more precision and clarity.

1 Like

I find playing acoustic guitar , you get different tones on you guitar with different thickness and material picks.

2 Likes

I think it’s down to personal preference and as others have mentioned what style you are playing. I have a bunch of picks that I rotate as each pick gives a different sound. My go to is probably the orange tortex 0.5 , but hey whatever works.

1 Like

perfectly fine to have your own personal preference and sticking with it.
Keep experimenting though, you’ll notice what works bst for you in any given context.

by all means experiment and make yourself familiar.
it makes your playing more adaptive (being able to adapt to circumstances)

Sometimes the only pick you have is the one in your pocket or one on loan from a band mate.
I play rehearsals with whatever is in that tiny extra pocket next to my regular pocket :smiley:

1 Like

It’s all been discussed before.
What picks do you use?

2 Likes

I started off with that exact size. Several years on someone suggested a thicker pick and it really helped my playing. Your mileage may vary. I know a guitar player that’s been playing all his life and is amazingly talented. His pick of choice is .6

2 Likes