Anyone from London with some travel advice? :)

Hi,

I’m pretty sure someone from around here can help me out with this .

I’m travelling to London tomorrow with the family for a bit of vacation and sightseeing. We’re landing in Gatwick and will be staying near Charing Cross. GoogleMaps suggest we get from the airport to the Hotel via train, changing from Southern line at London Bridge to Southeastern line, taking us to Charing Cross.

We’ll also be using the metro during the stay to get around the city.

My question is really about tickets. Is there some kind of day/week pass that we can get, which will include those non-metro train lines? And if not, are the same tickets used on both Southern and Southeastern trains? It would be practical to not having to worry too much about getting the right tickets all the time :wink:

Cheers,
Kasper

4 Likes
2 Likes

Within the “Tube” you can get an Oyster card which will allow you to pay per-journey with a tap, and includes buses.

You can also use Google or Apple Pay on a phone, or a card with contactless, but you may not want to do that with a foreign account as it may attract fees.

The best bet might be a Visitor Oyster Card.

There are also “Travelcards” which are available which include travel to and from a given railway station and include unlimited travel within a specific area of London. These are usually sold for daily, weekly or monthly travel. The weekly can be quite expensive as they are primarily designed for commuters.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

And under 11s travel for free with a paying adult

1 Like

This maybe worth a read too. It tells you where to get the oyster card at Gatwick Airport

https://www.visitlondon.com/traveller-information/getting-around-london/oyster-faqs/which-card-to-buy

Thanks! Will look into the Oyster card, looks like the best option. Looks like you basically “check in” and “check out”, and then pay for the trips you take. Very similar to the travel card we have in CPH. The only downside to the system we have here in DK is that, if you have an anonymous/visitor card, then you have to insert money on it (which you cannot get back out)… instead of associating it with a credit card. Will read up on Oyster :wink:

1 Like

Enjoy your trip to London mate

1 Like

For travelling around London as visitors myself and good lady have always found walking and buses far better than the overcrowded Tube. Enjoy London!

1 Like

Kasper @Kasper

Totally agree Visitor Oyster card is the way to go. You can even reclaim any credit left at the end of you visit, though not sure easy it is to do.
Michael :flight_departure::steam_locomotive:

1 Like

I don’t know much about the Oyster card but on the overground (i.e. from Gatwick into London) you can buy a through ticket to your end destination; you don’t need separate tickets for the different rail companies. You could also get an open return ticket to get you back which could save you money but I believe returns are being phased out on the railways.

It’s possible the Oyster card also works from Gatwick and I’m sure someone else more local will advise.

1 Like

Wow pretty helpful and I wish to move there around end of the year

Remember at the end of your journey to return your oyster to the ticket machine to get your money back for it. Alternatively use Revolut contactless card if you have one instead of Oyster.

2 Likes

How are the beaches this time of year?

1 Like

Enjoy your break in London Kasper.

In the UK, they are rubbish most of the time. :smiley:

4 Likes

If you’re going for a week, you’ll need to think about your travel guitar.
Do you already have one?
If not, have you decided what you’ll be getting?
Pics appreciated :smiley:

1 Like

Actually, the few of the beaches from my hometown are fantastic, famous for crystal clear seabed… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m from Denmark - my expectations for Feb weather is quite low :wink:
Actually it’s been quite nice so far. Clear, no rain, not too cold.

I did pass through Denmark Street, and my wife even commented that a matt black Ibanez looked very nice! (Not gonna buy it, the new LP from a few weeks back is enough, waiting for me to get back home :slight_smile: )

Oh yes they have some good shops over there, Wunjo is highly recommended by people online - I managed to go down there once to play around with Vintage LP, realy cool staff in there too!

And pure coincidence that all guitar shops are on Denmark street, it’s like it was written in the stars for you Kasper :laughing:

1 Like