Aphantasiacs Unite

This is fascinating. I had heard somewhere that we (generally, I guess) cannot imagine smells, like we can with sights or sounds. I know what bacon smells like, and if I try to imagine it, I can see the bacon in the pan and I can hear it crackling, but I can’t smell it in my mind.

3 Likes

Now it’sgetting more fascinating still. Like @Helen0609 I can… I always thought that’s nothing unusual? :thinking:

1 Like

Certainly associating colours and sounds with smells is the hardest to wrap my head around. I can at least imagine what it must be like to have a clear picture in your mind even I don’t really experience that. I guess anyone that has it strongly must have some really awkward moments in life when they are repulsed by something and no one else understands what is going on!
As someone who rarely sees images it is an interesting question wondering if with practice it’s a trainable skill or if in reality we’re better off accepting it and learning via different methods. It possibly depends whether it’s something hardwired in the brain or not as to how “fixable” it is.

1 Like

Hi Nicole,
Errr :flushed:, I don’t see how that could help me…and as mentioned earlier, I have no problem with this and am therefore not looking for new ways of learning… I had already found solutions for it :sweat_smile:, although I don’t think I can (I think) explain it properly …

and @Helen0609 The funny thing remains that Justin, who only recently knew it himself and I only knew it because of the conversation I had with him in his lessons, says imagine in your head on the train or before going to sleep your fretboard of your favorite guitar for … and the fact that I didn’t succeed made me a bit unsure whether I would learn it about 3 and a half years ago … so I now realize that I am actually very happy that I did this Now I know… the man who gave me that insecure feeling has fortunately also solved it (without knowing)…

Edit: the errr :flushed: is because I often mix up the names of colors when I see them and have to say them (this is the simple abbreviated explanation)

2 Likes

See… That’s something I must have missed…didn’t have time for reading everything as attentively as I should have :slightly_smiling_face:

True… I was wondering about something similar a lot yesterday… thinking how I could consciously learn to use associations of sound, colour,
or images for improving my guitar playing and learning new techniques. I guess, some things can be improved with hard work, discipline and dedication. It’s a matter of trial and error, limited by how much something is “fixable” as you say.

1 Like

and don’t forget to check it out Adi`s comment…
reactions to the colors

The only thing I mean besides a good laugh at/with @adi_mrok :joy:… is that the idea of ​​colors is being tried out… maybe it will be of some use to you… in any case it made me very happy again.
Greetings

2 Likes

What is this? :face_with_spiral_eyes: :face_with_spiral_eyes: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I’m intrigued. Reminds me, bruised left arm means… PMT learning is on.

EDIT:

This, @roger_holland, led me down a very deep rabbit :rabbit2: :hole:

2 Likes

we re all built differently
there are different types of memory and we’re not all using the same memory
some people use the photographic memory , others , the " ear " memory , others will be smells and the re must be a memory linked to the touch too etc etc

what works for some people might not work for others because we do not use the same memory !
someone with an " ear " memory or photographic memory shouldn t try to use the " color " technic because their brain won t understand it

This thread has really caught my attention. So most people can actually see objects or events in their minds, even with their eyes closed or open?! I had no clue that was possible. I’ve never heard of it. I evidently have Aphantasia then, since I don’t see things like that.

Only, as I have aged, some nights, between being asleep and awake, I see what I first thought were spiders in my bed. Or I see large, dark, floating
blobs. But that’s different. I can’t see visuals in my mind. I do dream and can recall some of what I saw in the dreams. I can imagine. I can follow the story in a book and imagine the story, but I can’t see it. I guess that’s why I love movies. The visual is right there.

I’ve always wondered why some people can memorize and retain so much and so easily where I can’t. Is it because they can see it in their minds? Probably not. I know Justin has good memory skills.

But either way, I’m still plugging along with my guitar. Slowly but surely.

3 Likes

I can remember it in my mind but can’t see it like I can see a dream.

1 Like

I caught that and was so fascinated by it.

1 Like

This was one of the reasons that I enjoy video games. It is a way for my brain to focus on something than going over and over the day at work.

Now I have found guitar, that does the same, overloading my brain with focus on playing stops other thoughts.

I think it is just a different way of memorizing. I think I depend on a lot of repetition, writing it down does help to get things into memory…

I have great recall for some things, numbers and work details, and much less so for trips I have been on or things I did as a kid. So it’s like my brain prioritizes some things over others. With appropriate prompts I can begin rebuilding memories of holidays or things that happened as a child.

So this thread is working like therapy for me, and I am going to change something about my guitar learning as a consequence. If I write things down, that helps me remember, but for the most part I am not diligent in writing out guitar things. I do have a book, but other than music theory I rarely use it. However I am going to try writing out chord diagrams etc. If I do things on a computer that doesn’t aid the memory.

I have written out the lyrics to songs and that has helped me memorize them. This is something that I am going to start doing more. I have been trying to use songbook pro, but I think I need to use that as a memory jogger and writing out the lyrics as part of the learning process.
In fact writing out @LievenDV 's song overview sheet is something that I am going to work on doing to see if the physical transferring of information to paper through my own hand may help. I’m off to find the templates.

2 Likes

Same here, writing stuff down has always worked for me. My main method of revision for school exams was basically writing my notes out again. I lose focus/interest if I just read and typing isn’t the same. I can get away with drawing on the screen of my iPad with Apple Pencil thingy which is my preferred way at the moment as I don’t have loads of notebooks lying around and there’s not loads of things crossed out :joy:
Last year I re-taught myself to solve a Rubik’s cube (I’ve since forgotten again as I didn’t keep it up). Some people can probably visualise where the pieces are going but I just memorised some series of moves by repetition (eg front, left, front anti, right etc)

1 Like

not for me … i don t have a photographic memory and writing is just a pain in the ***
Listening was enough for me

what works for some do not work for others …

Same here. I always take notes pen and paper style if I want to learn something new. Makes it much easier to commit information to the brain. I’ll need a new tablet at some point this year, going for one coming with a pen sounds like an interesting idea.

This is something that works very well for me, although I use a simplified version at the moment since I’m still mainly strumming only. It helps a lot recognizing repeating patterns etc.
Once I have written down the structure of a song, I don’t need to look at a lot anymore what I’ve written down anymore… because I can “see” a picture of this map in my mind.

That’s what I would love being able to say. I would want to tell people that I’m an auditory learner. Trouble is, it’s not true. I have listened to many audiobooks for example, but weeks later I won’t remember much of the content anymore

It works well with music, but not as well (yet) as I would want to, though I suppose recognizing chords and notes in songs just by listening can be improved with discipline and hard work.

As soon as I am supposed to learn lyrics for example (and strangely I don’t write down lyrics) I need associated images I “see” in my mind. Once lyrics are learned, I can “see” them written down on a lyrics sheet in my mind…

2 Likes

so you have a photographic memory

I can learn lyrics after only hearing a song once or twice
The new Gossip song is already an ear worm :rofl:

No, no, no. I surely don’t. That would be … I don’t know … great or disturbing?! It’s just relatively easy to recall a - more or less correct - “image” of what I have written down :slightly_smiling_face:

So question for the aphantasiacs (completely unrelated to music, but something I was thinking about when mentally ‘chewing’ on this)…is doodling not really a thing for you?

Sitting in class as a kid (or even in conferences as an adult), I’d doodle all over the margins of my paper - mostly animals when I was a kid, often imagined geometric designs these days, but really flowers, plants, whatever comes to mind. If you were to do the same, would it have to be drawings of objects/people in the room that you can see?

My doodles were always just a mixture of random squiggles and shapes. If they did include things like trees then they’d be cartoon type trees rather than an actual tree.
I always found I could copy a 2d image from a book cover quite well but wasn’t so good at 3d objects and people although I couldn’t say whether aphantasia has anything to do with that. I certainly couldn’t draw a person from memory and even something like a picture of the front of my house that I see every day would be basic because I know where the doors and windows are