Are these courses for me? Only interested in fingerstyle

I’m virtually brand new. I know 4 or 5 chords :). I’m retired, and I want to learn to play. I am ONLY interested in learning finger style. I love it in any genre of music on the guitar, especially classical, Celtic and folk, but do not enjoy the sound of strumming or picking much at all.

Would these lessons help me?

Also, I bought a used Cordoba C10 and I love the way it sounds, but it’s big and awkward, I’m 5’4” (female). My dream guitar is a Taylor 812c, and I will probably figure out something to sell to buy one, as I’m thinking the classical guitar might limit some of my playing choices?

Thoughts?

Hi Tinkle, I would say that the lessons would benefit you as they provide you with strong foundations to build upon including fingerstyle.

2 Likes

Awesome thank you!

Yes. @SILVIA is a great example of a student of the Justin course who also enjoy classical guitar and fingerstyle.

2 Likes

Personally, I would work through a fair bit of the begginer course before worrying about fingerstyle. Get the basics down first before moving on.

3 Likes

Will do, thank you!

Welcome to the community. I am also mostly interested in classical
And fingerstyle. I take separate classical lessons.

3 years in, I have realized that you really aren’t helping yourself to start only with fingerstyle. Yes, do fingerstyle, but learn to strum even if it isn’t your thing.

You need to have a few things in line as you move into fingerstyle. Rhythm, timing, cord fingerings and changes, and rhythm.

Finger patterns and learning to pick the right strings at the right time is really pretty difficult. It will only be harder to learn left hand technique while doing something difficult with the right hand as well. Timing and rhythm also are much faster to understand while working with simple strumming rather than complex fingerpicking.

Also, it will be a long while to be able to actually play fun, mildly challenging Fingerstyle song . I found I need to go learn a fun strumming song or two while I grind through a fingerstyle song. Just to enjoy playing the guitar more.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

You should. be able to get out exactly what you put in, and there are tons of teachings and discussion to go around for many days to come.

As for your preference, Just do a search on fingerstyle in the top search area.

A cursory search brings up five categories and many entries:

https://community.justinguitar.com/search?context=topic&context_id=2293&q=Fingerstyle&search_type=categories_tags&skip_context=true

https://community.justinguitar.com/search?context=topic&context_id=2293&q=Fingerstyle&skip_context=true

Have a good dive!

1 Like

Learning to play the guitar is already difficult…and it’s doubly difficult if the guitar is the wrong size for you. I’d suggest you get one that fits you…sooner rather than later.

3 Likes

Yeah sizes weren’t something I realized when I purchased the guitar. I bought it used, and just knew I wanted (or so I thought) a classical guitar. I’ve done a bit of research since then :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You must go and try out guitars when you do look at getting a different one, size with a guitar can make the difference between being able to play it and finding it difficult enough for you to pack it in!
A classical guitar is a smallish footprint but it’s quite deep so may prove to be a bit of a handful. Unless you actually want to play classical music then whilst it can be used it’s not the best option.
Don’t just think about one guitar or brand, there are lots of really great ones to choose from, Taylor guitars are nice but very expensive, I had one - a 214CE dlx. When I realised it was a bit too big for me (I bought it on an impulse) I hadn’t really tried it properly, I exchanged it for a slightly smaller guitar from a different manufacturer and got a higher specification guitar with similar build quality. Look at other instruments thoroughly before you part with your money!

2 Likes

We all came in with a certain perspective.

justin’s Course works on foundations that serve ever kind of player though.
Dig in, especially when it’s about chord work.

Don’t put strumming aside because “it’s strumming and not fingerpicking”
Strumming IS the FOUNDATION of your RHYTHM.

Some solid strumming foundations make up your basic rhythmic engine to build your
fingerpicking on

5 Likes

[quote=“LievenDV, post:12, topic:314548”
Strumming IS the FOUNDATION of your RHYTHM
[/quote]

Yes! I tried to avoid this for a while, but finally came to realize I needed it to go where I want to.

Besides, it is really fun to just bang out a tune sometimes! Additionally, if you hope to sing some, it will be much easier to start with simple strumming and singing. Fingerstyle uses a lot of your brain power and will take a long time to be able to sing while playing that way.

Bottom line is that the most important thing is rhythm, timing and groove. No matter how or what you are playing.

1 Like

Thanks so much everyone!

1 Like

Good addition to my point, thanks :wink:

1 Like

Definitely no singing. I wouldn’t try and scare anyone that much!

While doing the course, you may even discover new interests that you never expected.

I started with the acoustic guitar and I wanted to learn fingerstyle.

3 years later, I still like playing fingerstyle from time to time but I never thought that I would start to prefer the electric guitar.

Same for playing and listening to the blues, a genre that I had never connected with before. Those interests developed when trying new things in the course.

2 Likes