Arizona Angie's Learning Log

Ha,ha, maybe we should adopt “Spring Chics” as our nicknames. Great to hear you are still playing. Have fun.

3 Likes

Hi Helen

I’m basically repeating what Angie said. Thank you so much for such a comprehensive reply. It’s reassuring, knowing the various stages people have reached and how long it’s taken them. Gives me permission to remove this pressure of assuming I need to be achieving this and conquering that by a certain time/stage/level. I think I definitely need to also recognise the physical aspects of the progression and to give myself permission to ease off a bit because of rheumy that definitely kicks in quite a bit after a long practice session. I’m also bipolar so the brain/mind does become flustered/frustrated a LOT :brain::face_with_spiral_eyes::face_with_diagonal_mouth:. Thank you so much Helen.

As for Spring Chics - cheers @DarrellW . I’m on board with that :hatched_chick::hatched_chick::hatched_chick:

3 Likes

@CateB @ArizonaAngie @Helen0609
Have a look over here. You’re certainly not the only ones.
Older guitar students - can ‘old dogs’ learn new tricks?

2 Likes

:blush::blush::blush: Thank you Gordon. I’m definitely part of the old dog learning new tricks crowd. Good to know there’s a large group of us.
Thank you

2 Likes

@DarrellW :joy: :joy: :joy:Best thing I’ve ever heard! Can’ stop laughing!
@ArizonaAngie

Good idea! Maybe we should create a “Spring chicks” thread, supplementary to the “Old Dogs”. :wink:

3 Likes

Gordon, I know that thread :joy:I recently had a post there, concerning a linguistic question, which popped up in my head by the way, as I’m not a native speaker, (… if old dogs is an expression also used for women). This caused a huge wave, I’ve never expected :joy: :joy: :joy: and I promised to let the Old Dogs be Old Dogs… :wink:
But @DarrellW solved the problem :+1:

3 Likes

@Helen0609
Helen. I’ve just had a look at your post in the other thread. You certainly started a bit of discussion. I think ‘spring chicks’ is a better/safer name tag than the alternative! :joy:

4 Likes

I’m feeling positively young now! Thanks Gordon😊

1 Like

Hi Angie, good you started your learning log. It is a good place to receive advice and encouragement. Also when you could be feeling stuck, a quick look to a few post back can put things in the right perspective. In addition to finding the right frequency and duration of your practice sessions you can watch or watch again the videos where Justin explains about posture. He has one general but he also has one with specifics about arm and wrist position when he introduces strumming. Keep the enthusiasm.

1 Like

Thanks Andre, great advice which I will certainly use.

Hi guys, not sure if this in a wine or a cry for encouragement. I’ve had the dreaded covid like cold and am exhausted but still trying to play a bit most days. I also have full on days too to contend with. Since I’ve not felt great my playing has been shocking and I’m getting rather disillusioned by it all. Is it normal to play like pants when you’re not feeling great or am I just having a bad two weeks! Really fed up and need a pick me up. Sorry to moan. Thanks for reading this anyway.

2 Likes

You’re playing will reflect you mood. So if you’re not feeling well your playing won’t feel well either.
Good time to learn to play the blues. :cold_face: Hope you feel better soon.

1 Like

Thanks Rick. I’ll look forward to sunny days then! I think you might be right about the blues, need to check some out😊.

Sending you my very best wishes. High quality food is good for both body and mind. Please take good care of you :cowboy_hat_face: :heart: :pray:

1 Like

Hi Angie, keep your chin up and (as you’ve said to others above) be kind to yourself! :hugs: Having just gone through covid for the first time myself 2 weeks or so ago, I have that disillusioned feeling forefront in my mind too! Couldn’t play anything for a week, and when I did try I was all over the place, fingers not behaving at all! However, I have since come right and slowly my playing has improved back to where it was. In saying that, I have fluctuations even throughout the day. I tend to be a morning person and my playing is definitely better than compared with after work, when I’m feeling drained from a busy day. Take care and keep reminding yourself it is a process that takes time. Often the improvements are imperceptible and it can feel like no progress is being made. However, over time you’ll notice little things that were big problems will have gotten easier or at least dropped somewhat down on the list of challenges :wink: :sweat_smile: Just keep plugging away, that’s the key I think, and look for those things that inspire you to keep picking up the guitar… :hugs:

2 Likes

Angie, I got covid right after Christmas, the hacking cough, the loss of taste and smell, the whole she-bang. I was so miserable I didn’t even try to play guitar, lost all my callouses, felt dejected about the whole thing. But once I started feeling better, about 4 weeks later? I got back into practicing big time. Allow yourself to wallow for a bit. Hope you feel better soon.

2 Likes

Thank you Kim. I’m on the food thing

1 Like

Than you Jeff. It’s good to hear it’s not just me. I hope you are feeling better now. I struggle with guitar later in the day too, I play better in the morning. Oh well, keep on plugging I guess. I’m avoiding trying to sing along as I can’t pitch as note at the moment :joy:. Take care and thanks again

1 Like

Ah Rebecca, you’re so lovely. I generally try not to wallow but I might just let myself this time. Coughing the soles of my feet up seems to be the thing at the moment. 4 weeks seems a long time without callouses. I’ll go easy for a while. Thank you for sharing.:sunny:

1 Like

Hi Angie, I made it 3 years without an infection and then, 3 weeks ago, I was positive. Had a few really hard days, wasn’t even able to grab the guitar. That’s a sign, that I felt really, really bad. After the first few days, I got better, but my brain and over all coordination was dubious. Fingers didn’t go were they should, I couldn’t remember chord progressions, didn’t found where I was in a song sheet…So I just noodled around with the guitar for a few days, not to loose callouses. Now, after 3 weeks I still feel powerless, but playing works again! There is hope! You are not alone! :hibiscus:

3 Likes