Awesome Power Chord Songs

Check out these awesome song recommendations to practice your power chords!

View the full lesson at Awesome Power Chord Songs | JustinGuitar

White Stripes, Hardest Button to Button is super fun, and easy! It was my first actual rock song I learned. Also, the rhythm part of Wild Flower by the Cult. Justin has a great lesson for that.

1 Like

Found a couple of issues in this lesson page:

• “Molly’s Lips” link is broken
  • Justin has a lesson for “When I Come Around (Green Day)”. Should be linked instead of “coming soon”

Glycerine by Bush is another great and easy to play power chord song

3 Likes

I recently stumbled across the song Narcotic by Liquido (one of my favourite songs during my childhood). Easy Powerchords and very fun to play (and sing) along to!

Can’t explain by The Who is a great power chord song

2 Likes

Hey Justin, How about a lesson for Green Day “Holliday”

@ScottMellor You need to make requests using the request board here: https://www.justinguitar.com/songs
There is a search function to see if a song is already there too.

The Passenger by Iggy Pop could be good one for palm muting and also the percussive hit. A fun one to get people going too!

1 Like

Song 2 by Blur is an absolute cracker to have a go at, also break out the Fuzz for a monster sound :love_you_gesture:t2: :love_you_gesture:t2: :love_you_gesture:t2:

Thank you Justin, great lesson as always! :slight_smile:

“Michael Jackson - Beat It” is a good one as well. The main riff is fun and it uses power chords for the rhythmic parts in the verses.

Yes! I had pieced together some of this song decades ago. I didn’t know what a power chord was back then, so I used full barre chords. I never did figure out the B and C# chords by ear. Learning is so much easier these days with the internet.

Another great power chord song that slides and jumps strings is Santa Monica by Everclear. Super fun to play also!

Here’s a couple of power-chord songs, which are beginner friendly (either are slow or have simple power chord progression’s), which I’ve found while looking through songsterr’s library:

1. Deep Purple “Smoke on the Water” (verses are: x55xxx; xx33xx; xx55xx; x55xxx; xx33xx; xx66xx; xx55xx; choruses arpegiating G5 and F5 power chords on the 6th and 5th string mostly);
  2. Marilyn Manson “Sweet Dreams” (the rhythm section incorporates cool melody to learn and the choruses are going from 466xxx to 355xxx to x355xx and back again to 466xxx);
  3. ZZ Top “Rough Boy” (the rhythm part is all palm muted x02xxx; 24xxxx; x24xxx; x46xxx power chords).

Sheena is a Punk Rocker by the Ramones listed as a song option in the lesson description now has a song lesson.

Dio, Holy Diver. I started this 2 weeks into beginning Module 1 of Beginner 1 (so end of June). I got it right within…2 weeks. I probably got that one right before any sequence of open cord changes:) It is an awesome power cord practice off the 5th string.

Here it is how it is done from Doug Aldrich himself: Riff Lords: Doug Aldrich of The Dead Daisies, Dio and Whitesnake - YouTube

1 Like

Another great example of practicing power chords is the chorus riff in For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica. Good opportunity to practice power chords, palm muting, triplets and stepping strings.

It is short, but very tight, I love practicing that.

1 Like

Here’s the link: https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/green-day-when-i-come-around-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-sg-060 !

The Offspring - Self esteem
Is a Good Power Chord Song Also :wink:

These lessons are a real problem…

If you think about the beginner course, prior to learning power chords we were pretty limited in the songs we could learn. In each Module, Justin would give a list of about 6 songs, maybe we only liked 3 of them enough to add to our repertoire. Focus on those few songs and it would eventually make sense to moved forward once those songs were reasonably practiced.

But with the knowledge of power chords, suddenly there are 100 songs that we can play, and it’s so easy to want to learn and play every power chord song that pops into your head from the past 30 or more years. There’s multiple Green Day tunes, and Kravitz, and Offspring, and Nirvana, and they just keep popping into my head. I can’t spend 10 minutes on new songs, I find myself jamming along with my stereo for an hour. It’s just so much fun!

But I haven’t touched my acoustic repertoire in a couple of weeks. No “free falling,” no “what I like about you,” no wonderwall.

I feel like I’m at a breaking point, and I could easily get lost in songs and not focus on the lessons. I notice that next module is back to acoustic, but I’m still going to want to pick up my electric and learn and play power chord songs. But I also want to play my acoustic songs, and there’s just not enough time in a day. I’m not retired.

Anyone else finding this to be a problem?