Babylon (cover)

Thanks Helen! You will probably never hear the original song on radio or even deep track playlists. Songs like “American Pie” and “Vincent” are the main tracks that get play from this album.

My fretting hand “stuff” would have probably been blocked by my chubby fingers. Also, I wanted to focus the mic on the sound hole for deeper tone. I used a rubber pick on this one as well to mute the thump a bit, accent the bass and allow my vocals to raise above the guitar a little better.

Makes more sense to just talk about the chord progression, which I find compelling (as well as the dichotomy of timeless lyrics that are topical today):
Am-G-F-E-Am, which is pretty simple, but the transition to the E chord provides the magic here (highly unexpected to my ears).

1 Like

Thank you, sir! I’m working up to the thought/energy/emotion for “The Grave” from that LP. Not sure that I could keep my “S” through that song. I need to come up with something. I feel that “Babylon” and “The Grave” both dovetail with our covers of “Masters of War.”

Hmm…I was not aware that Don Mclean had this «depth» to him…
you have more than enough Mojo to pull this of Clint. Looking forward to it…

it is a tough call for any «protest» song though to line up to the same level as Masters of war… that song is so «in youre face» that its almost ridiculous…

1 Like

That was really nice, Clint and it is great to hear some vocals from you too.

Any chance of a little bit more? :smiley:

1 Like

I gave it a listen, know what? I was quite disappointed about the McLean version :joy:. You did a great job to make it “your own” as you never get tired to say. At the latest I now know, what you mean!
I enjoyed your version much more!

Interesting hint, I was using picks since the beginning and added finger strumming only a few weeks ago as I needed a mellower sound for a song and I like it a lot, so a rubber pick could be a further option to try.
Thanks again for posting! Good example to learn from :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Thank you sir! I’m not that fond of my vocal abilities, they are included in service to the song (and to keep my playing in time).

There will be more vocals on other tracks, this one checked the boxes that I wanted to check.

1 Like

Thanks for the listen and like! Much appreciated.

I’m having some thumb troubles so the rubber pick is the closest thing I have found to that type of tone. Tried felt picks as well but didn’t care for them. For fingerstyle I’ve started using a thumb pick. One door closes and another one opens. :slight_smile:

1 Like