Back to December by Taylor Swift Lesson

Learn to play Back to December by Taylor Swift on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Back to December by Taylor Swift | JustinGuitar

What tempo is back to December played at.
In Tabs subscription is strumming pattern shown

Hi Martin, @mjord59
71BPM
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun…

I get that from the Tabs…Hope this helps
Greetings,Rogier

@mjord59 Hi Martin, welcome to the community. You had posted a question about the strumming pattern for this song in @Socio Introduce Yourself post. I am responding to you in this discussion section for the song lesson for Back to December.

Did you look at the strumming lesson at 11:00 (11 minute) point in the song lesson video? Justin shows how you can think of the 16 note strumming pattern as two 8th note strumming patterns to make the count easier for beginners (and advancing beginners like me). You can slow down the video to see and hear when Justin strums in the 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + count. It is easier just to practice where to put the 2 downs in the first 1 2 3 4 count and where to put the 3 down strums in the second 1 2 3 4 count. Once you master that, then just add the 1 up strum after the second 1 count for D D DUD D.

NOTE: To make Justin’s simplified two 8th note patterns for one 16th note pattern work with the metronome at the correct tempo, you need to have 2 down strums of the hand for each beat of the metronome. So even if you have a relatively slow 60 to 70 bpm tempo, you probably want to slow the metronome down to 30 to 35 bpm and learn the strum and then gradually speed up the metronome to the correct tempo.

If none of this makes sense, then I would suggest that you look at the strumming lessons in Grade 1, particularly the lessons:

Module 1 - Bars & Strumming On 1

Module 2 - Strumming On The Beat

Module 3 - Counting Ands , All About Up Strums, Strumming Patterns With Ups

If you learn what is in those lessons, then you should know enough to write out the strumming pattern when you look at this song lesson video.

If you need to see the strumming pattern written out, you could get Justin’s Beginner Songbook 1 from this website or from Amazon.

Have fun with your guitar playing.