Badly designed 'reply' button

@mc Hi Moray,

Iā€™m doing another test hereā€¦Iā€™m replying to this using the gray reply button at the end of your post. If I understand correctly, your post should indicate 1 reply , and my reply should appear indented under your post when one clicks on the indication that there is a reply. Or at least it should look something like that. I donā€™t think that happens, and I wonder if this is causing some of the impressions that people are not replying to individual posts. Of course, I could quote your post, but I thought that gray reply button made that unnecessary.

As I said above, this could be user error (the user being me!). If thatā€™s the case, perhaps someone could point us to a topic describing how to best interact with the platform. :grinning:

EDIT ā€¦and of course, this time everything worked as expected! Sorry for the false alarm, but I would have SWORN this doesnā€™t always work! Again, probably my error somehow. FWIW, Iā€™m currently using Firefox on a Macbook.

2 Likes

You are right. Sometimes it works, sometimes not (direct response, grey Reply arrow). I often have to revisit and edit my own post, because it doesnā€™t refer to the person itā€™s adressed to.

1 Like

Test with 5 more characters

This time it obviously works! :joy:

Donā€™t be so quick to blame yourself, Judi!

I developed software for 35+ years, and Iā€™m 90% confident that there are both bugs and usability issues with this feature.

Though I also sympathize with the developersā€¦trying to fix elusive, intermittent bugs on multiple platforms is no easy task.

This is a reply to Tomā€™s post (where he quotes @judi ).

I pressed the small grey arrow at the bottom of Tomā€™s post and I see his username above the text box as I type this. Letā€™s see if things are working or not.

I too have the problem when I reply to specific post, it doesnā€™t appear that way in the thread, so this is a test.

EDIT: So, the test failed for sure. FWIW, Iā€™m using chrome on a mac.

performing the same test on my iPadā€¦

I see your jjw1 in orange over the text box

Clicking Replyā€¦

EDIT:

I also donā€™t see that I replied to you in upper right corner of my post in main thread.

EDIT 2: Refreshing the page does not fix it

As the last two posts have shown, this is not working reliably, at least for some of us.

1 Like

My gut feeling on this when we first started on the new Community was that if you used the grey arrow to reply to someone but it was in the following/next post to their comment, the ā€œuser icon arrow replyā€ (made up tech reference :rofl: ) did not show. If there had been subsequent post or posts in between it would. As I say gut feeling from the early days and Iā€™ve not tested it, as it personally does not causes me any issues. But I do appreciate others frustration.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Toby :wave:

1 Like

Toby :wave: :wave:

Edit:

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: That is it for me i see :smiley:

Edit 2: It hasnā€™t been that simple all along, has it? thatā€™s impossibleā€¦ :roll_eyes:

@Socio Of course I immediately thought of Gordon, but that was never resolved, was it?

1 Like

I rest my case :sunglasses:

I case my rest :angry:

1 Like

that grey arrow is like de ja vuā€¦ Iā€™m sure we have had this discussion before when raised by Gordon

It certainly cropped up in the early days last year. :sunglasses:

Gordon @sairfingers ā€¦ break off your holiday ā€¦ come and do your replies, is this now solved for you too? (or was that it already and are we a bit slow and/or forgetful)
Greetings and have way more fun on your holiday :sunglasses:

no but he hasnā€™t mentioned it again in quite a while. He seems to have made peace with it :smiley:

At least the person the response was intended for gets a notification :nerd_face:

Does it work for me?

EDIT: Yes!

1 Like

And now you see it is missing in your post, as you have subsequently edited it, since you replied to me, :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Toby, I believe you are absolutely correct! Just confirmed when replying in another thread.

I must have seen the bug at least a dozen times, but never made the connection.