Barre Chords

I have been playing for over 10 years now and never have a problem with barre chords per se. However on my Martin acoustic no matter how hard I press or roll my first finger the ‘B’ string is always muted as my mid under-finger area is very soft. (It is much less of a problem on my ‘strat’). I have at last resolved the problem by using a small piece of thin pliable plastic held in place with a piece of tape over the soft part of the first finger. ‘B’ string now sounds loud and clear all the way up the fretboard with any barre chords. At last !!!

Hello David and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Why do you pop on over here and tell us a little bit more about yourself.

Could it be that the action on your acoustic needs lowering a bit?

@DRDT Welcome to the forum David. One thing you should notice in your Strat has a 9.5 radius and the Martin has a 16 radius fret board. You just going to have to get use to the difference. It will take a little time but it will be come normal.

Thanks - agree, action may be a bit high but I’m happy with it at the moment.

Hi - thank you. Yes, I am aware of the difference in radius and happy with this as it varies with all my guitars. It is just something I have to be more aware of when using the Martin and prep my index finger accordingly which does not interfere with other chord shape fingerings. Hey ho, the joys of learning different techniques all the time.

My new Martin came with one free setup from the dealer.

After playing it for a few weeks I took advantage of that and had them lower the action.

Played much better after that…especially down near the nut.

I’ve heard a few people complain that Martins tend to come from the factory with the action set too high.

Thank you Tom, helpful reply. David