Bars & Strumming On 1

Don’t let @Richard_close2u hear that :scream: His tried and trusted motto is “learn songs, learn songs, learn songs”. It’s important to start out learning songs, even if its just strumming on beat 1, on beats 1 & 3, on beats 1, 2, 3 & 4. It’s about building up your rhythm foundation. As @JokuMuu suggests if you have the app find some songs that you like to work on developing your rhythm, learning song structures and changing chords during songs.

5 Likes

Joku - yes, I do. I use it as tunner and used it for playing with songs, but how Sequences said - song are in this stage simplified so it does not “sound” to me like I am playing different track. I am gonna do deeper research what will fit for me, because I understand that playing songs in early stage is important, but it also should be fun and I am finding more fun in learning chords and changes right now. :slight_smile:

Sequences - thats exactly how I feel about that! Its just different and very simple… feels like I am ruining song with different sound. :smiley: I am gonna do deeper research what will fit to me… I had this experience for example with “Ooh la la”. Song is great but my playing did not sounded same… also when I saw, that people on YouTube are playing it on different chords I am confused then how I should play it.

Socio - hello, it was just my point of view in this early stage. I really understand how important is playing with songs, but this time its more fun to learn chords and chords changes than playing with music… how I wrote above… I just dont feel good while I do it, because I expect sound to be more like original and not so simplified. From other view I understand simplicity, because I wont be able to play it on harder level (right now). Few days ago I tasted fingerstyle and I think thats my way… I am learning the easiest pattern… playing it with C or D and man… that sounds so relaxing and deep I could play it all day. Last day I was playing it while my girlfriend was sleepy and tired and this made her sleep well. She said its so relaxing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do absolutely understand what you mean, playing these two chord songs was annoying for me as well :nerd_face: Seeing that you are at C already, maybe take a look at the app again - there are several easy songs where the recommended strumming pattern is “Old Faithful”, trying to go for this strumming pattern, it will soon sound much more as if you are really playing a song :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s most important that you have fun :grinning: I always had a special weakness for fingerstyle, even when I have never been good at it :laughing: Again, the app does actually come in handy. Try e.g. “This year’s love” with easy 6/8 fingerstyle, it’s my go to when I don’t feel like practicing anything else, and it even sounds good playing along to the app like that :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yeah… I am trying C. Its really one of the hardest for me now. Like D minor is over 3 frets too but pinky makes it much easier. I tried C with fingerstyle and its new dimmension for me. I know it will sound fun for experienced players, but it brings me joy and thats what it is all about. :slight_smile:
Actualy… before I started with guitar my friend recommended to me Old Faithful Plus because of extra up strum you got gap for chord change. So I can do this strumming pattern without thinking about it now, because its the only one I do. And reason is same… its sounds like something against 4 downstrums. But thats again my personal view. I can understand why 4 downstrums are good. To this time… I am not playing with metronome and I know I will maybe regret it one time, but I dont really like it. :smiley:
Also I will check your recommendations, thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, but that’s fantastic news actually. You have that strumming pattern down, so why not try with that one instead? :slightly_smiling_face: with or without app :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for that :slight_smile:

1 Like