Basic steps in improvisation - Targeting chord tones using a Chet Atkins beginner lesson

This is an element of genius of Chet’s lesson.

Without mentioning it, without adding in confusing segments of theory, and with seemingly no effort whatever, he has devised a masterpiece of guitar tuition.

A chord progression in the key of C. An easily played set of notes that make up the C Major scale. A descending set of notes from that scale that are no more than a simple linear sequence to play over the chords. And hey presto - music, sweet and melodic music.

What he undoubtedly knows, and isn’t making a fuss about, is that he is performing that ‘magic trick’ of targeting chord tones when playing his ‘scale tune’.

Targeting chord tones.

It’s just so, so simple.

I tip my hat to Chet in this.

Youtube and the interweb are full of videos by guitar gurus promising you 100% satisfaction in your guitar playing if you just target chord tones when you’re playing a solo. Some are awful, some okay and some are good. I suggest that none does it so simply as Chet does here.

More to come.

2 Likes

And to you my friend for reproducing this gem of a tutorial from the archives of the The Forum.

1 Like

Thanks David. I know you kept a copy in pdf format from its previous incarnation. I am rewriting and updating some of the content and graphics.
:slight_smile:

And doing a fine job of it too, Richard. I noticed when I read through it again. The new platform delivers a much better final look, I think.

1 Like

Good to see this surfacing again. Bookmarked for later reference, as I have more irons in the fire than wood at the moment !

Thank you Richard.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Richard
The Chet Atkins lesson is very good and you give a very good explanation of how and why it works and sounds good.
Very useful, thanks.
🎸David

1 Like

Thanks Toby … there’s more coming with a long delayed next instalment.

Thanks David.

2 Likes

Part 6

We have now made connections between the chords, the notes and the melody being played in ‘scale tune’. At least the first part of the melody. Chet progresses to play additional parts and I have only analysed the very first part. I will linger a while longer on that first part before moving on.

Part 5 ended with the first / final notes of ‘scale tune’ being shown in red as ‘chord tones’. That is the start point for exploring here and doing so in a variety of ways.

First, I am going to put all the notes back in to the diagram and look to see if there are other chord tones that happen along the way.

Here is the ‘scale tune’ and the chord progression lined up once again with all of the four groups of nine notes shown. All of the chord tones are emboldened and shown in red font.
You should by now be comfortable with the notes that make up each chord. I still include them in brackets under the diagram but revert to just presenting them in black font for clarity and to maintain focus on the notes from the ‘scale tune’ above the chords.

The first thing to notice is that there are lots of scale tones. Lots and lots.

Do you remember mention being made of those stacked thirds when looking at chord construction? I wonder if you can trace a link from there to here?

Second, I’m going to encourage you to use this as a start point to being creative and making up your own ‘scale tunes’. So, I’m going to remove every note that is not a chord tone and replace it with a question mark. With the entire chord progression mapped out it looks like this:

I suggest that you actually write out on paper your own scale tunes, literally write them out as pieces of music you have composed and will then play. You need to replace each question mark with a note from the C Major scale, making sure it is a different note to the one Chet played. Do this in several different ways and when you play your compositions, make sure you use your ears carefully to listen for what works well

You may find it easier to write as a simple list of notes something like this:

Chet 25

I have deliberately restricted the space that you are working in to just those notes that are not chord tones, which is just 16 out of 36. That is still a lot of creative space and I hope that you repeat the exercise, changing the notes each time. I’m hoping too that you started off by physically writing out the notes and then playing them along with the chord progression (you have recorded a backing track loop haven’t you?). I’m also hoping that you very quickly go beyond the act of writing them down on paper to spontaneously playing your own notes based around all of those chord tones in an improvisational wonderland.
How is it sounding?
Are you making good music?
Are you using the Major scale to improvise, create, play melodic lead guitar?

Third, it is now time to enlarge the creative space, to have freedom to mix and blend yet more colours on your musical palette. So, let’s go back to considering the diagram showing just the first and final notes of the ‘scale tune’ in red and let’s replace all of the other notes with a question mark.

Again, you may find it easier to just write your notes out as a simple list.

Chet 28

The task now (should I say the fun now?) is to improvise, guided only by the security that every time you begin and end each of the four passages, you will be landing on a chord tone. Where you go as you make your musical journey of exploration around the C Major scale is up to you. You’re starting from a safe place and returning to a safe place as you play your four groups of nine notes. Have fun.

Part 7

A short study around chord tones.

At the end of part 6 you were playing scale tunes where the first and final notes were the chord tones of Chet’s original melody. These notes are played on the first beat, the count of 1, of a chord change.

In the progression, each chord lasts for two bars.
Each of the four groups contains nine notes.
So notes 1-4 are played over counts 1, 2, 3 and 4 of a chord during the first of its two bars.
Notes 5-8 are played over counts 1, 2, 3, 4 of the same chord during its second bar.
Note 9 is played over count 1 of a new chord at the time of a chord change.
Then there is a rest during counts 2, 3, 4 and 1, 2, 3, 4 of that new chord.
As soon as the next chord change comes along, with a new count of 1, a new chord tone is played.

This is the very definition of targeting the chord tones. Consciously playing a note from the underlying chord when the chord change happens.

So notes 1 and 9, the first and final notes of each group of four, are examples of targeting the chord tones.

I also showed in part 6 that there are other chord tones being played throughout the progression. When chord tones are played during the progression, but not at the moment of a chord change, this can be described as outlining the chord tones, or outlining the chords.

So, we now have two simple aspects to using chord tones.

• Playing a chord tone on beat 1 as the chord changes - targeting the chord tone in this way can help connect the lead melody with the movement of the chord progression.
  • Playing a chord tone at any point over a chord - outlining the chords helps to more strongly tie the melody to the chord progression.

Part 8

At 2mins 22 secs in the video Chet invites his student to continue playing the four groups of nine notes (which is shown in the lower half of the video screen) and he then moves up a notch and starts to play something more elaborate (shown in the upper half of the video pane).

So what is Chet doing?

First, he has gone from playing quarter notes (4 per bar played on the count of 1, 2, 3, 4) to eighth notes (8 per bar played on the 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &).
Second, he has maintained the exact same notes being played on the beats, but introduced something new played in between these, on the ‘&’ each time.
So instead of four groups of nine notes he now has four groups of seventeen notes.

Let’s look at that.

Here is the original section of the ‘scale tune’ as previously shown - with extra spacing between notes and between rows that will allow me to add in the extra notes that Chet is playing and to see what he is doing.

In the next diagram I will add in Chet’s extra notes on a row under each existing sequence, spaced in between the original notes. The new notes will be shown in blue.

So to play what Chet is playing you need to play these notes from left to right, reading from two rows, playing black then blue, black then blue with black notes on the 1, 2, 3, 4 and blue notes on the &s between.

This new sequence of extra notes is a parallel set to the original, a sequence of notes from the C Major scale in descending order. Also note that every move from a black note to the next blue note is a drop of a third. Remember those stacked thirds from the chord construction? Chet is basically playing the C Major scale, starting on the note G, in descending thirds. And because of the chord tone phenomenon it still sounds sweetly musical.

Does that make sense?

If not, maybe this will help.

Here is the C Major scale again:

Now here is the C Major scale in descending order starting at the highest available note G (as Chet does when playing)
and finishing at the note lowest available note E on the 6th string of the guitar:

Now here is that same descending C Major scale with the addition of the notes Chet plays, shown in pairs of descending thirds. These pairs are made up of a black note and a blue note side by side, left to right.

Note that I have simply rolled all of the notes, which overlap and double back on themselves in the four groups, into one long stream. This is only for the purpose of illustrating the descending pattern of thirds. Which I hope you can clearly see by referring to the C Major scale shown above them.

Here is a series of similar diagrams but this time split in to the four groups of seventeen notes.

Chet 35

Chet 36

Chet 37

Chet 38

If you play these notes, top-to-bottom, left-to-right, black-to-blue, then you will be playing Chet’s second section of the ‘scale tune’.
Does that make sense?

Next up will be the third and fourth sections, between 3mins 06 secs and 4mins 32 secs.
But that’ll be easy - he’s just playing ascending rather than descending sequences.
No problems there.

Then I’ll move on to the G Major scale possibilities.

Part 9

Okay, it’s time to conclude our study and exploration of Chet’s ‘scale tune’ in the key of C.
There will be more to come but transposed to a different key.

Note: I am not going to consider and analyse Chet’s playing from the point where he starts to hold barre chord shapes and play artificial harmonics - that is not beginner stuff.

At 3mins 06 secs Chet changes playing direction and starts to play ascending sequences of notes. Four groups of nine notes at first, quarter notes, all played on the beat. Then four groups of seventeen notes, eighth notes, all played alternately on the beat and the &.

Basically, if you have followed and played, and explored so far then this next step will be an easy one. Chet has just inverted his sequences, with the starting note no longer be the note G but the note E.

Like this:

Chet 39

Against the chord progression it looks like this:

Notice that the final note in each group is exactly the same as the final notes for the descending sequences. And that the first and final notes can again be seen as ‘targeting the chord tones’. So I have put these in red again.

We could go through a process of creating exercises, much as before, using the start and finish notes as frameworks to work within, allowing ourselves the freedom and creative exploration to play other notes from the scale between. Just as before, all other notes could be marked with question marks allowing freedom choose other notes as a step to improvising.

In the next section of the video, when Chet starts to play the eighth notes, he once again starts to play the scale in thirds, but this time in ascending thirds. Black notes on the counts of 1, 2, 3, 4 and blue notes on the &s between. Like this:

Chet 43

Chet 44

Chet 45

Chet 46

If you play Chet’s ‘scale tune’ you will be developing your ear and developing good muscle memory for the C Major scale in this open position.

That’s great.
But it’s not the end of it.

The rich learning will come if you take these ideas and modify them.
Create with them.
Take them apart and put them back together.
Really get inside the sounds and the possibilities of playing and experimenting with the C Major scale.

This is just a simple canvas with some feint outlining ready drawn - the chord progression and the targeted chord tones in red.
It is yours to add colour and detail and create your own ‘work of art’.

Improvise.

Have fun.

2 Likes

Richard, am I missing something or is this graphic not quite right?
Chet 26

In the right-hand F column, 2nd row, shouldn’t F be a chord tone ?

F below it isn’t a chord tone ?

E to the right of that one should be a chord tone ?

@BurnsRhythm Thanks David. Good spot. All now corrected. I shall have to have words with my proof reader! :slight_smile:

Thanks for clarifying Richard.
I’ve had a go at this tonight. Just changed the ? notes in a small way and it sounded good. I’ll be a bit more adventurous next time! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Music to my ears …

excuse the pun.

That is great to know. :slight_smile:

1 Like