Bass Output Jack

Hi all,

I’ve inherited an Aria Pro II bass guitar, which has been a great way of applying all the guitar skills I’ve learned so far. I’ve hit a small snag - the output jack is broken (I’ve checked with cables that work well with my guitar and tried cleaning it) and only intermittent output to the amp. I’ve already replaced one of these on a guitar so thought I would give it a go as it came with a replacement jack. There were 2 cables to resolder, and whilst the new jack worked, it buzzed very loudly and then one of the tabs snapped off! (The bass didn’t buzz when I reattached the old jack just to check, so I think that the new jack was the problem).

I’ll need to get another one, so I’d appreciate any advice on which jack I would need and is the wiring just copying exactly as it was before? I’ve attached a picture of how the old on was wired in. Many thanks for any help :slight_smile:

Hi Al,

I’m not certain what you mean by buzzed loudly. A description of the buzz may give some clue what was wrong.

From what I see here, the white wire should go to the tip and the other wire to the ring on the new connector. If your first attempt broke then something seems forced or overheated. I think “tab” means solder lug in this case.

Some things I see now:
I cannot tell if the ring wire is the shield or another wire. If it is the shield, then it seems possible that you shorted the white wire during soldering due to too much heat and the insulation melting. This is just a guess.

I wrote a soldering tutorial you may want to read if you are not familiar with soldering.

If you plan to buy a replacement output jack, don’t go cheap. The extra couple dollars you’d save are probably not wort it. That jack is something you’ll need to take out and shop to get correct. Most of the jacks I have seen use the securing nut on the outside, not inside, and not captured by the wiring, so make sure to get something that will fit.

2 Likes

That’s great - thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I’ll definitely take a look at the soldering tutorial as I’m not the best at it! Yes, I did mean solder lug (not sure about the terminology yet!)

The buzzing sound from the amp is ground noise, the same as you sometimes get as you plug a cable into a guitar - it’s exactly the same noise at 55 secs in this video:

Are all replacement jacks the same spec? Is there a particular type I need to go for? I absolutely want to get something that will last :slight_smile:

This is all new to me, so thank you for your help!

Let’s see if I can help you make some progress.
First, if you got the GND buzz get louder when you touched the strings, then you are likely to have had a broken GND connection like the video you posted. This could have been from the solder lug breaking.
Second, if you received a second jack with the guitar, then this is a red flag to my engineering mind. If the designers thought they needed to supply a replaceable jack due to breakage, then it is likely to happen more than once, and the part is low quality and a poor design choice you are probably now stuck with. I did a very quick survey of Amazon and did not locate a replacement, so you will need to do some searching, and possibly look at the guitar manufacturer as a viable source for the replacement.

As for the jack, it is a 1/4 inch JACK. Jack means this is the receptacle side of the connection. It is also a “panel mount” which means it is intended to secure to a flat surface with a hole big enough for it to stick through. I’m guessing that it is fairly long and the connection to the plug is enclosed so you cannot see it. I am not sure how it would be captured at the point you plug into it, but I’d think it would flare out and hold against the outside of the guitar, maybe against a metal plate.

I misstated my initial comment, the connections for this should be to a tip and to a sleeve. These are relative to the plug. One thing I am uncertain of is that the image you have shows three lugs. There are two different ways you are likely to have this.

1. the connector is designed for stereo, so you have a tip, ring, and sleeve connection lug for left, right, and common (ground usually). I’m unsure of the order for left and right, but the tip is the correct connection to make because you’ll have a tip and sleeve on your instrument cable.

or

1. a mono with disconnect jack that is intended to break a connection between two lugs on the jack, which are not the sleeve, when the plug is inserted. This is used for making a default internal connection when nothing is inserted, like on headphones, but then disconnect it when the plug gets inserted.

Since neither of these are needed on a guitar, I am confused by the three solder lugs.

If this were mine, I’d get a good look at how it is inserted in the guitar. I’d take it out and look for a manufacturer I could look up. I’d try to measure the continuity from a cable to identify what lug hooked to what part of my cable (I hope you have a meter like the guy in the video showed). I’d go shopping for a replacement that should fit, or examine the diameter of the opening to see if I could select some different jack (unlikely). In the US, we have a couple respected hobbyist parts vendors. I’d start with them if I didn’t find this at amazon - DigiKey and Jameco come to mind. You may need to look in your country for a similar vendor.

As for “same spec” question, well, there is very little to specify beyond the obvious physical size and shape, but there are things you can look for that relate to quality. In your case here, I don’t think you have much to work with. Just finding a replacement will be the important part, I think. When you go to solder it back in, read through my tutorial and then make sure not to overheat anything.

If you need more help, think about if a picture can help. For instance, I cannot see the whole jack, I cannot see the wire connecting to it that is not white, I cannot make out what the lugs may connect to - may be impossible to guess with everything enclosed, but the angle make certain I cannot tell.

If you are not sure about using a multimeter to check continuity, ask here and I’ll see if I can point you in the right direction.

1 Like

maybe this will fit: Amazon US

pretty expensive, but Switchcraft and being metal may be better than the plastic jack I see in your picture.

Here is an unknown brand, but it is at least black and half the price:

Excellent - thanks so much for all your help. I’ll do some investigating based on your info (someone else had recommended Switchcraft and they do look good).

This has definitely made much more interested in picking up a second hand project guitar to restore because I’d really like to understand guitar electronics properly.

Many thanks again - I’ll let you know how I get on :slight_smile:

I got hold of a replacement Switchcraft jack and it worked perfectly, a couple of minutes to solder in and we’re back in business. It’s actually a bass I was setting up for a friend of mine, so great that I could get it going again. I guess the replacement jack must have been faulty all along.

Many thanks again for all of your help, much appreciated!

1 Like