BB King on the BBC + any other lady learners?

Just watched a fascinating little documentary Sounding Out: BB King on BBC iPlayer. It’s filmed at a recording session in London in 1972 and he talks about his influences, how they influenced his guitar technique and that (at this point) he was still searching for his sound.

The biggest takeaway was sometimes his timing got away from him and instead of the 12-bar blues, he ended up playing 15 :grin:

I wish I was able to do the Blues Immersion but alas, I’m still very much a baby beginner. But hopefully one day!

Also, any other lady learners out there??

3 Likes

Hi RD83. I am also a lady learner. I call myself the ā€œperpetual beginnerā€. Fortunately someone else in this community lives close by and we have had a few practice sessions together. I feel myself gradually improving. Hopefully I will advance to Intermediate soon and be able to join The Blues Immersion course. See you there!

4 Likes

I’m glad there are, at the very least, two of us ladies on here :sweat_smile:

Hopefully I will be able to find a jamming partner too, I feel like I would improve ten-fold.

Good luck!

P.S. Aren’t we all perpetual learners really?

2 Likes

Sign up for Blim when you feel ready. There were quite a few excellent ladies playing blues in Blim 4. You won’t be alone, for sure.

1 Like

Lady learner here! This January will be year 2 of my learning journey and I’m enjoying it a lot. I have learned so much but have so much more to learn. Wishing you well :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So great to know there are more of us on here than I initially thought! I’m also learning loads, Justin is a great teacher. Good luck on your journey too :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

Thanks, that’s really good to know!

Hello! Another female student here. I have been learning for 5 years tomorrow although I switched from acoustic to Classical guitar after I finished Justin’s beginner’s course due to giving myself a wrist injury when I tried to move on to playing barre chords and quite frankly feeling a bit lost as the structure of the course disappeared as the end of the beginners course drew near.

His bends are not accurate , his rythm is all over the place but it all sounds so good , Thats BB King magic

Im also a woman learning

Hey!
I’m still mostly improvising using the minor pentatonic scale over backing tracks. I’d like to learn all the notes across the fretboard and start incorporating arpeggios into my solos.
Feels like a lifelong project. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
How’s your guitar journey going?

Hello! I’m also trying to learn all the notes along the fretboard - I feel they could be the key to unlocking a lot of stuff. I’ve started on Grade 3, but I don’t feel like I’m making as much quick progress as the first two grades.

Hello! Glad to hear from you! I’ve been doing JG for about ten months. I’ve just started Grade 3, and I agree, I’m feeling a little lost as the lessons become more vague. I’m wondering if I’ve reached the point where I should get a Real Live Teacher :thinking:

I think so too. I feel like all the theory concepts can be learned much faster once you know all the notes on the fretboard.

I’m currently writing songs, and that’s how I’m learning and practicing at the same time. Today I may have gone a little overboard with the power chords , so I’m giving my wrist a bit of a rest. :slight_smile:

Maybe you could try writing a song too — it might be a fun way to keep making progress. :slight_smile:

Justin has a video at the end of the beginner’s course where he basically says get out there and experiment and find your style, which is what I have ended up doing and that’s where I found my focus. Guitar is way too wide a subject for most people to be able to do more than scratch the surface of what’s possible. Deciding to follow a particular style and developing the skills required is really the next step after the beginner’s course - Justin really focuses on Blues a lot during the intermediate more than most other styles and that may or may not be for you. I would suggest that you decide what style you want to learn before considering a teacher and then finding a teacher or online course that teaches that style specifically.

1 Like

:woman_raising_hand: lady learner here :smiling_face: Welcome to our Community Reena!

:raising_hands: Yay, more of us than I realised!

Yeah, I did watch that, and it’s true, I might just have to keep exploring to figure out what my style really is. Though, blues is basically the foundation of all modern music, so I can understand why he focuses on that :woman_shrugging: I definitely need to do more experimenting, it’s easy to get caught up in the theory and rules. Right now, I would just like to be able to play some barre chords :sweat_smile:

Barre chords and power chords are my current nemesis! I’ve been avoiding songwriting because I know it will be utter rubbish that makes me cringe, but maybe that’s the whole point and part of the process :woman_shrugging: :grin:

Yeah, they’re tough, especially on acoustic guitar. But even on electric, my wrist is still pretty bent, even though I’m trying to keep it in a better position.

As for songwriting, of course your first songs probably won’t be hits (although who knows, maybe they will! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:). But just imagine how much you can learn by writing 20 songs. Playing, recording, microphones, tone, theory, lyrics… Even if not a single one of them is ā€œgoodā€, all of those things are incredibly valuable skills to learn.

If we know two chords, we can write a song! :wink:

And you can write 100 songs and keep them all to yourself
you don’t have to share them with anyone. :slight_smile:

I’m trying with barre chords again myself after a break, and I’m almost hugging the neck to try to stop the wrist-bending :rofl:

You’re right, we don’t need to be mavericks to write songs - when I look up famous songs to see what chords they are using, I’m always struck by how simple they often are. I will write a song this week :fountain_pen: :light_bulb:

Good luck to everyone in the week ahead with your practice!