#BBP - What Is It, Who is it and Why Does It Exist ? Your Questions Answered

Hi Toby, I feel very sorry about the „need“ to write a post like this, no reason at all for apologies!
I read those tags from time to time and was asking myself about the meaning, came to the conclusion it must be an abbreviation for you Blimmers, and never thought about it anymore.

Never felt this way as a non blimmer. I would consider you and those who are involved in your group as some of the most supporting and cooperative members of this community, giving advice and sharing their experiences every single day with all the members of this community.
Kind of ridiculous to see all of you as part of an exclusive group! You did kind of a collaboration, where‘s the problem?

I‘m happy for all of you, that you are able to learn together, to support each other and to get the most out of the course.

Sad to read this, but totally understandable! I hope, your enthusiasm will come back :pray:
Toby, you are such a great guy, don‘t feel bad about this!

6 Likes

Toby can I just add a few words not a lot because writing just ain’t my thing but, I’m going to say it anyway I’ve been in the community for just over one year, which is not long at all but I remember being lost and genuinely not wanting to gel or talk but I felt it was a good place to be so I forced myself to try and it was not long before you and the other names you mentioned, and a few others mark the clueless luthier for instants took me in man, you lot looked after me and showed me how to go on, where to be, how, when and why everything I asked for I got from you guys, that means a lot man if I get stuck I know I can ask you guys so please come on mate this is a great place and you people keep it like that so thank you all I’m living here for the rest of my life Cheers HEC

2 Likes

Hi Toby and fellow #BBP-peeps,

it’s a shame that this kind of explanatory post was even necessary and I was actually a little sad about that, too. Because:

This holds true for each and everyone of you folks involved. None of you is secretive or exclusive, quite the opposite is the case. Even the fun banter around the literal meaning of BBP quite at the beginning of BLIM was just that for me: good fun, I loved some of the creative ideas that came up along those lines (looking at you, Nicole @JokuMuu ). :rofl: Especially as it was right after you, Toby, just mentioned it during your OM-performance. Some good laugh and that’s it.

But what’s said was said and now it’s out. Hopefully this was all that was necessary. For me it was quite obvious you are a study group right from the beginning.

But one very positive thing I sensed: A feeling of support, among the BBP, but also from the BBPs to other BLIMers and JGC-members at all. I loved all the bits and pieces you shared with all of us along the way and also being still there for the community in general.
Also, how far you’ve all already come in that short, but intense amount of time with the BLIM, it’s just a pleasure to see. I am truly looking forward how all of your paths will continue and where you will be at at the end of the course! :slight_smile:

This is a real shame. Hopefully, your passion comes back fast. Love me some good chapter of the Madman’s Diaries! :sunglasses:

I’m still shaking my head a little over this, but anyways… Hope you now feel a little more supported and understood again after reading through all the replies here. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nowt wrong with the…Blimming Bluesy Philharmonic having a get together at the…Boozy Blooz Pub :smiley:

7 Likes

Not sure why this was necessary but if you did it, I am sure there were good, solid reasons.

I understood the hashtag from the get go because I’ve been around the community for a little while and am also a fellow Blues Immersion course subscriber. . .and had a bit of a laugh at people asking about “exclusivity”, but then, I am more familiar with those involved and understood that they were putting in thier usual efforts around the community as well…

On the one hand, its a bit of a pain to have to sacrifice precious practice time to do a write up like this one. On the other, the situation is a reminder that the community is constantly growing and changing and that we have to be aware of how some stuff can come across to those more recetly arrived. . .even when it’s totally in good fun and completely “harmless”. Growing pains. . .or changing pains. . .either way it means that things are evolving and that means we have to evolve too.

Sorry you lost out on precious practice time for this @TheMadman_tobyjenner but it’s now done and you and your fellows can move forward with the understanding that you’ve “cleared the air” on this particular topic.

Happy practicing and all the best with the upcoming lessons for UNIT 4 of the Blues Immersion Course!!
J

3 Likes

Hi Toby. It’s a shame you felt you had to explain things. I’m unsure why anyone would worry about your Blim group being in some way exclusive and separate from the wider JG community. Everyone here had the opportunity to join Blim if they wanted to and could then presumably have become part of smaller groups within it. You and the rest of your group have certainly maintained your presence in the Community.
Anyway, I had a load of guesses as to what BBP stood for but was never close! What I want to know is, do you all have to roll up a trouser leg and have a special handshake? :joy:

7 Likes

Absolutely sir !! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

Not sure who complained and why, but it was completely unnecessary.

The study groups are actively promoted at the beginning and even dedicated space was given for people to organize those. There is a great benefit in having those, as many people feel more comfortable at sharing things first with a small group. It started that way with our small group (7) but I can see now some people sharing in wider community and actively engaging with others. We don’t know each other for 9 threads (x500 that is properly insane!!! :smile:), but we do have mix of players of different levels who share their comments. This has been wonderful experience for me, I believe for others as well.

I am sorry that you had to write this and that your enthusiasm dropped. Please get it back and provide that BLIM update, I would like to read/listen that. :smiley:

5 Likes

I didnt have any questions

Eh ??

2 Likes

I hadn’t noticed the hash tag, but I’ll confess to being a little jealous of the BLIM folks when they talk about it.

I love the blues. Have for decades. I’m originally from Chicago, and spent a lot of evenings in the many blues clubs there. Every live show I’ve seen for probably 40 years has been blues.

I chose not to join in BLIM for several reasons. I didn’t think I was good enough to benefit from it. I feared investing that much money into something that I would drop out of. I only play for my own amusement, and don’t have anybody to play with. I think you’d really need people to work with, like your “BBP,” to get good at it.

Sorry for the rambling, but that’s my feeling on the whole thing.

6 Likes

Everything you have just said Mark echoes with me as many on the forum will recall. Grade 2 and 3 sets you up nicely for BLIM. To me as an advanced beginner it is quite a challenging course but I’ve found with dedicated practice it is manageable. You’re not going to manage to perfect everything taught in those 6 months and Justin does not expect that from you as there will be some many months consolidating. Plus you have the course for life. My biggest benefit so far from the course is confidence which I feel will benefit me further on learning other material. So if you love the blues and are confident with your Grade 2 & 3 material go for it mate. Plus those that have been through the course will also be there to support those in Class 2.

3 Likes

BLIM is the kind of course that takes years to master all content. In the long term, I think that passion for the blues will make a bigger impact than plain skills. Passion is definitely a huge thing that you have in your bag :slightly_smiling_face::guitar:

2 Likes

Mark I envy you that is a wonderful experience but would also echo every word James has said. I didn’t think I was good enough, I don’t have anyone to play with and I only play for my own amusement and will inflict this pain on the wider JGC. But have no regrets signing up and feel my playing has moved on leaps and bound.

And the #BBP has been a big part of that. Class 2 will be starting soon and there will be more news on that in the coming months. And you have been around long enough to be familiar with Community members you would most likely gel with. Maybe some of them might also sign up for Class 2, I’d highly recommend it as a good investment. You only get to find the folks to work with, in my case like those in the BBP, by Community engagement and awareness and to that I think you are pretty tuned in. Look at the big picture it pays diveidends,

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I was also hesitant about signing up for BLIM, and I think that’s not uncommon. On the other hand, I do wonder (based on some comments I have seen) if some people who weren’t ready for it have signed up thinking it was some magical, silver-bullet.

The fact is, regardless of level, a course like BLIM takes hard graft. And that’s the point of these things: you only get out of it what you put in.

In my case, I had no doubts I was at the required level, but I was concerned about the level of commitment I could put in to make it worth it, and whether I would lose interest or get distracted part way through. You might have seen squirrel-themed art? It turns out I wasn’t alone!

The great things is (as @Richard_close2u has pointed out) you don’t have to “keep up” with the course. It’s best you do to some degree, but the course is pretty packed and I defy anyone to nail all of the material presented every month, and retain it. If they are capable of this, then they probably didn’t need the course in the first place. And you have lifetime access.

But, bringing it back to the subject of this thread, for me the, one part of keeping the squirrels at bay has been to have small support group and, for me BBP has been a key part of that. It’s a safe space to open up about how you feel with people that you grow to know and to trust. It’s a space to discuss, to vent, to confess, and (sometimes) to be a little random, silly, or even inappropriate with without the cacophony of voices and potential judgement you get in wider communities.

It’s a place to discuss progress, concerns, challenges, triumphs and to share humour through the good days and the not so good.

I am extremely grateful that this wonderful little group of people invited me to be part of their beautiful madness. It has been a lifesaver for me.

But this community is full of wonderful, supportive people and, I hope and expect, that BLIM has spawned many such groups, just as it has fostered and spawned many such wonderful little groups who support and collaborate (this springs to mind).

Justin encourages such groups and, if you do a course like BLIM, I thoroughly encourage you to seek out “your people” as part of your journey.

Cheers,

Keith

#BBP

10 Likes

Sorry to hear this, Toby. I hope the support in this thread helps you to get the enthusiasm back! Would love to check out a video on your progress.

One of my favorite things about this community is the ability to connect with others. There is so much support here! :grin: I have “met” others that I never would have had a chance to otherwise and am forever grateful to be here.

To the BBPers- keep doing what you are doing. Aside from doing BLIM, you are all active community members here. I don’t feel that by supporting each other through (what sounds to be) a very rigorous and challenging course that you are at all being exclusionary. I think it’s great that you are all supporting each other!

That’s what we are all here for right? :wink: That and guitar :guitar:

10 Likes

All good here fellas. The air of mystery was just a bit of spirited fun to be honest; and anyone who knows you guys would never think otherwise.
Glad the group has been a success for you. Its what’s its all about.

Cheers, Shane

5 Likes

Hey Toby & the other legends in the BBP! :star2: :smiley:
Interesting (and at times very entertaining! :laughing:) but equally troubling read. My absenteeism on the forum of late has meant all this has slipped past me, but reading your detailed post and the following string of (as always very supportive :hugs:) replies, it has been great to have some insight into the BLIM experience and benefits gained, not only from the course content, but also from each other as well! Having gained so much myself from learning and working with others I have met here, I’m a huge advocate for taking those opportunities when they arise :slight_smile:
Sad that you’ve had these issues interfere with what should just be a fun experience but well done to you all for navigating it with grace and common sense! Keep having a blast :boom: :guitar: :smiley::+1:

:male_detective: :joy:
This gave me a giggle :rofl:
Take care mate! :hugs:

8 Likes

I did notice the tag and only thought was I wonder what it means, and now I know I can carry on in peace :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m starting to feel a little sorry for the several people who have indicated that they started to wonder things and experience a feeling of exclusion…

After reading all the comments( Of course I knew that a lot of people would respond, but not that much text…) , I would like to say that if you all create groups in an already separate group and there are also groups that are not accessible to everyone because they work by invitation or gender and talks about there was hinting for special merch “for crew under the radar” , it is a matter of time that questions could arise if it is so prominent, even outside that first large Blim group it was easy to follow the group of you 6 … I was therefore not surprised (or better should I say “was afraid”) that these question marks arose, but look how big this topic has now become :flushed: … now I don’t know exactly what was reported to Richard, but apparently enough to report it to Toby that something had to be explained and even though it was never intended that way, it is how it came across to several people … and quite understandable (or a bad example?) if you consider how it went very briefly before the start of e Blim and a short discussion about the stickers on the avatars … and a closed section…

This was always a completely transparent community and now there are more and more closed clubs/sections…
not everyone likes that and if there are only 2 people with complaints (or questions) with something there are many more who keep their mouths shut and look further… an important lesson when you have a business :wink:)

To be clear, I am very happy that you from this group and share and learn and all those messages personally and not here in the open … almost 5000 messages :flushed: :exploding_head:
:smile:

I just hope for some understanding for people who may not be able to express themselves well and have simply asked @Richard_close2u some (maybe complete normal ) questions about this …

Greetings and please have fun :smiley: :guitar: :microphone:

3 Likes