Beats per minute

I was wondering if there is a way to figure out the beats per minute for a song? I am looking at the christmas songs justin sent out and canā€™t seeanything to do with the beats per minute to try and play them.
Thank You,
Jack

If you have a metronome you can raise or lower the speed until it matches and there you have it.

which song(s)??

Justin used to have a page on his site where you could tap the beat of the song and it would tell you the beats per minute. Iā€™ll see if I can find it again. I havenā€™t used it since the website redesign.

I couldnā€™t find the one on Justinā€™s site. It might not be there any longer. So I found one that does the same thing:

1 Like

I think most metronome apps have a tap for tempo function to figure out the BPM. I use the metronome in Fender Tune.

Or the cheat way is to google ā€œwhat is the bpm of Xā€ and there is a couple of websites that show you the BPM of songs.

When youā€™re talking Christmas songs though, theyā€™re not going to have a standard BPM. Just play what feels right. Jingle Bells is faster than Silent Night for instance.

2 Likes

Youā€™re right. I never realized that the metronome app I have right on this tablet has the tap function, but it does!

1 Like

JustinGuitar web page has a tempo calculator, bottom left.

1 Like

Thank You, I will give it a try.

1 Like

You can also do a google search, song title ā€˜bpmā€™. For example, search for ā€œLet it Be BPMā€. Youā€™ll get a bunch of sites that show the BPM (among other details) for songs.

1 Like

Been using this for years
Mixmeister BPM Analyzer
used to be freeware but now the princely sum of $3.99. Think there may be a lite version that is gratis these days.

Determine a BPM for single tracks or drop your whole digital music collection into, as it searches via folders as well. Have used this to create multiple running playlists with songs of the same BPM. All you need to do is add a BPM display in say ITunes or just Windows File Explorer. Simples.

I would add that sum BPMs may need halving but if you listen to the kick and snare you can normally work out if the figure given has been doubled.

Or drop the song into Riffstation and get an approximation of the chord progression at the same time. https://www.filehorse.com/download-riffstation/download/

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank You

So, to use the bpm function you have to know the song and basically tap out the rythm? I have only been trying to learn guitar for abour 3 months now and am stuck on beginner lesson 1 module 3 as I amhaving a tough time with the transitions being fast enough. I donā€™t really know any of the songs.
I was trying to find a way to plug the song into Justins bpm app but apparently you canā€™t.

Thank You and Take Care
Jack

You donā€™t have to know the song. Just find a recording of it, like on YouTube, and tap to the rhythm as it plays.

1 Like

Okay, Thank You

This is my go-to for tempo, but Iā€™ve gotten some wonky results. Like, when I search for Hey Joe, the first several results have it at 157-159. That doesnā€™t seem right.

Do you have a go-to website that you usually rely on? I find that I get different results from the different sites that figure out BPM.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just had a quick search, and it depends on what time interval you apply.
Some sites list it around 80bpm others around 160bpm.

Having had a quick listen, Iā€™d personally put it around 168bpm with 4/4 timing going by the drum pattern, but having just checked out a more official tab, it lists it as 82bpm but with a more 16th note drumming pattern.

@uncltravlinmatt I donā€™t have a go to website for this, when itā€™s not clear I just tap a metronome or google if Iā€™m being lazy.

@mc The song is 4/4 and around 82bpm. Itā€™s unlikely to have been recorded with a click so BPM would vary.

BPM is determined by the time signature and measured in the time signatureā€™s denominator. So 82 quarter notes per minute, regardless of what rhythm the drummer is playing. Definitely not 168 bpm.

There are plenty songs around with tempos higher than 168bpm (vivaci or presto tempo IIRC).

In basic terms, an eighth note strumming pattern at 84bpm sounds identical to a quarter note strumming pattern at 168bpm, however youā€™d typically decide on the time signature from the key drum beats.

Even looking at the score I found for the drums, if I was to ignore the time signature/note lengths, Iā€™d initially say it was a fast quarter note pattern with the bass and snare on beats one and three respectively and the hihat every beat, but itā€™s written as an eighth note pattern with the bass on 1&3, and snare on 2&4 with the hihat twice a beat.