Beginner grade 1 expectations and assumptions

Hi!

Started 6 weeks ago and working my way through module 5 of grade 1. Practicing several hours every day. Playing also along with the app and all. Great stuff!!!

I was wondering if I’m right about this:

  • The practices songs in the app expect you to strum 1 time per bar right? It doesn’t expect you to strum all the way along at this point in the course?
  • When we practice strumming it’s all about the strumming at this point right? So not about doing that along with changing chords?
  • When and how do I start to learn to disconnect right and left hand? So being able to strum automatically and focus on chord changes without any change in strumming?
  • I was wondering why there is no learn Rif exercise on module 5 on ‘Come As You Are’ after the video lesson. Is that a bug?

Be sure to read the ‘LESSONS’ sections under each video throughout the course. There’s a plethora of great information in those. In this one, at the bottom, it says to play 4 strums/1 per beat, in each measure.

In grade 1, module 2, there’s a video called, “How to change chords and keep strumming.” You’ve learned the A, D, and E chords so far, so why not use them in with strumming. Sometimes I have to revisit an old video I saw I thought I had down and perfected to see what I missed. Module 2 also has a video with easy to play chords using A, D, and E chords. Revisit that one as well and enjoy playing them. Remember, this isn’t a race. It’s a slow walk to be enjoyed. Practice your one minute chord changes. Speed will come. Perfect is more important than speed. Ring out each string to make sure you’re fingering correctly. Expect to have to stop often at this point, to change chords and continue the strum. Soon you’ll be doing it without even realizing it. Also important: record yourself, and often. Review the videos to listen and watch what you did right, and so you can adjust to correct anything that wasn’t. Be patient with yourself, and always, always, always, end a practice session with something you know you can do well, even if it’s a super simple riff at this point. You’ll end it feeling good about your progress instead of wondering if you’ll ever get the hang of this guitar playing thing. Post videos of you playing too for great feedback. Everyone started where you are now, and they want to help and encourage you to keep going.

The chord changes will become smooth and you’ll strum before you know it, focusing more on the chord changes, until that too will be 2nd nature. I had trouble forming certain chords early on, but now they come much easier. I don’t even think much about strumming and I’m nearing the end of grade 3, although that did happen earlier on. In the grand scheme of things, it won’t take as long as you might think.

There is a tab in the Lessons section under the video for Come As You Are. That’s why reading those lessons sections is super important, in addition to watching the video.

Enjoy the journey with the rest of us, Ron!

5 Likes

Wo, thanks for this effort! Will take a few weeks to act on your recommendations only :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@RBB

Have you seen the Nitsuj practice sessions.
Justin decided it would be a good idea to relearn guitar as a beginner so he used his beginner course to learn to play left handed.
These videos have helped a lot of beginners, watching Justin struggle playing left handed puts them at ease knowing they aren’t the only ones struggling. It also give you a good idea of what and how to practice each lesson.

https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/nitsuj-grade-1-practice

4 Likes