Beginner Sus Chords

Fantastic news there ninevolt and glad I gave you at least some help! In the future when you will advance as a player you probably might start playing A chord with fingers 1 2 3 or 2 3 4 on strings from thickest to thinnest. In this case it will be just a matter of moving finger 4 from second to third fret on B string. Personally I think this is easier, you might want to give it a go :slight_smile: but if you prefer keeping fingering as per Justin’s lessons in Grade 1 that is fine too.

Interestingly I can see Justin shows the fingering as I do it in this lesson and as per chart below, which sort of contradicts to how he teaches A chord in Grade 1. Doesn’t really matter as it’s the same chord but I wonder when and if he suggests at all switching the way one plays A chord.

This makes me think of Put Your Lights On (Everlasting & Santana), which I think does a lot of this. Not sure if you have a video on that song, but I’m going to try and figure it out. Signe by Eric Clapton is another.

Does’t that feel like a hard pull in the topside op your hand?
You are forcing a sharp angle with your fingers and it hurts my hand looking at that picture!

This is an Esus but look how gently bent his fingers are versus your tight angle.

try to divide the angles over every joint of your hand and fingers instead of putting all the engle in one joint.

Don’t mind that thumb, that is for another time. IF you can’t get your hands to loosen up properly, you might need to shift to that thumb position sooner or later. Though, I only suggest shifting to that playing technique as soon as you are progressed far enough to get into “Hendrix style” chord grips, where the thumb position is crucial to begin with.

Either way, I tihknt, looking at those pics, your hand needs to tilt a bit to avoid tension.

Master Yoda would say:
hmm yes, much tension I see, loosen up that hand you must!

Perhaps start of with making sure you start gripping it like this

Don’t over extend it for now though

try to approach a more relaxed grip, something that looks like this

2 Likes

Really appreciate the feedback Lieven, thanks a bunch! As I continue practicing, I’ve found that less and less of the sharp angle you describe is needed to achieve the Asus4 shape. Also, I’ve noted that if I switch to playing the Asus4 with fingers 2, 3, and 4 as Adrian brought up earlier, things loosen up considerably. I’ll experiment with the suggestions you gave and try to keep Yoda’s voice in the back of my head — cheers! :smiley:

1 Like

You’re already loosening up, that’s great.
It’s not the most obvious thing to do.

It’s things like this dat make up good or bad habits that become a foundation in your playing.
It’s good that you approach this matter in a critical matter. In most cases, lesser tension is better ^^

1 Like

It kinda blew my mind when you started playing the paint it black riff. Love this one.

Exactly the same problem! My pinky will just not go where it should. I have to really concentrate to get the little finger where is should go which takes ages and never reaches the fret, and like yours, slides up to the 3rd finger. This is gong to be a long battle.

1 Like

I have to say that the sus chord exercises for this lesson don’t make sense. The video lesson describes exercises for the D, Dsus2 and Dsus4 chords, and this works OK, as the basic D chord grip is used for 2, 3 or 4 finger options, which matches the options in the exercises.
The text in the Learn More sections talks about exploring the A and E shapes, but the fingering for the A shape is nothing like the basic A chord fingering so using 2, 3 or 4 fingers as noted in the exercises doesn’t work, without changing the fingers a lot! Where do I put 4 fingers for the A shape exercises?

With suspended A chords, try to use the basic Am grip as your starting point. If you lift off finger 1, you get A sus2. If you fret the B string at the 3rd fret with your pinky, you get Asus4. You can also try to fit finger 1 “under” the others at the 2nd fret to play the open A major chord.

The latter can be used for Esus4 as well, only 1 string “up” vertically. For Esus2 a bit more practice is needed. I like to think of it as an “open” power chord due to the similarity of the shape, but you can approach it from the root 5 barre Bm chord, too. It’s worth trying as it’s a very nice-sounding chord. Makes me think of The Who as it sounds quite familiar from the Tommy album.

Of course, Am not A. Now it makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

@stuartw

There are options, and many people learned to play the A major chord with 3 fingers in a line.
Here are a few A nad Asus4 options for fingering.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Approved Teacher

2 Likes

It does. The problem I have is that I can’t stretch the little finger far enough and it sits just in front of the 2nd fret.

Extremely Good song yes :slight_smile:

Is it okay if I play Asus4 with my third finger instead of with fourth? I don’t wanna develop any bad habits.

Where can we see C and G sus chords ?
Is there a future module ?
And also the notes for Esus2 are correct ? E B F B B E ? are the last B B correct ? :face_with_monocle:

C and G sus chrods also sound cool but there are no separate lessons on them.

Justin has blank papers for his chord finding method:

You can use these to discover the possible fingerings for various chords.

Let us know if you manage to find C and G sus chords that are easy to play. My favourites is Csus4 and Gsus4.

1 Like

Hi JĂłzsef, are a few of them not covered in this lesson?

2 Likes

Hey josef. I have one more question .
According to justins chord diagram
Esus2 notes are E B F B B E.
If the 3rd G# is swapped with the 2nd , it should be F# . So it should be
E B F F# B E.
two things might be happening .
1 . I get something wrong or
2 . The diagram is incorrect .
Plz help me because i need it for my chord book and i need it in its correct form .

Actually, they are. I just haven’t got to that lesson in the theory course yet :slight_smile:

Hi Manos,

You’re correct, there has to be an F# in the Esus2 chord. Finger 3 in the diagram is on the F# note (fret 4 string 4) and the octave shape for B should be familiar. :slight_smile:

1 Like