Beginner Sus Chords

Iam talking about finger 4 . Its a note B and the next open string is B too .
Thats 2 Bs in a row ! Is this correct ?

Yes, notes can be repeated in chords (see the beginner open chords). Unless you play triads where you don’t have much choice as you only have 3 strings to play.

1 Like

Same here. I also find it challenging to extend my pinky far enough to get close to the fret wire in the third fret. I know that I don’t have to keep my ring finger on the second fret, but if I move my ring finger, my chord falls apart.

What’s the 2 fingered version of the Esus4 chord?

When performing the Asus4 can I leave my 3rd finger on the b string 2nd fret since it’s covered by the 4th finger on the 3rd fret anyway?

Same question for Esus4 with leaving my 1st finger down on the g string (for e major chord shape) since the pinke covers it on the 2nd fret?

It technically works but I don’t want it to be a bad habit that hinders me down the road.

I hope Im naming the strings correctly. Trying to visualize it without a guitar in front of me.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Curry. Yes you can leave you fingers down on al sus chords. When use sus chords as embellishments they are usually hammered on and pulled off so leaving your fi ger planted is a must.

1 Like

As @stitch mentioned;

yes,
Form a regular D
then add a finger while leaving everything there

Explained here: https://www.justinguitar.com/chords/d-sus4

for Esus (aka Esus4)

Form a regular E
leave everything there
Add little finger

Also; explained here: https://www.justinguitar.com/chords/e-sus4

Check out the CHORDS section of the website, I think not so many people know of its existence yet! https://www.justinguitar.com/chords/

1 Like

Bring Ziggy back or we riot

2 Likes

Really interesting lesson.

How is the order of the notes in the key of C, D, A, and E determined? Scale shapes including open strings? I now know the major chords are made up of a root note, and 3rd and 5th degree notes. But how can I figure out where the other notes in the key fall without memorizing the fretboard?

I think understanding this will help me move around the fretboard and identify sus chords more easily.

The same as all keys.
There is a major scale formula of:

tone-tone-semitone-tone-tone-tone-semitone

or

whole-whole-half-whole-whole-whole-half

All seven letters A, B, C, D, E, F and G must be used once and once only. To maintain the forumula some of those notes will need to be given sharpened or flattened. You cannot have sharp and flat in the same scale.

Example:

Alphabetically, starting and finishing at E and using tone-tone-semitone-tone-tone-tone-semitone …

E, F, G, A, B, C, D, E

E → F is a semitone not a tone so the F must be F#

F# → G is a semitone not a tone so the G must be G#

G# → A is a semitone (as required)

A → B is a tone (as required)

B → C is a semitone not a tone so the C must be C#

C# → D is a semitone not a tone so the D must be D#

D# → E is a semitone (as required)

2 Likes

And having come back to this for a bit of revision it still does, in that I physically can’t get my little finger anywhere close to the 3rd fret.

Is Asus4 a chord that we need to ne able to use. Is it used much in songs?

Sus chords in general are embellishment chords so you can live without them.
That being said you don’t really need to get your pinky right up to the fret. You can cheat it and just get your pinky to play the string between the fret as long as the note plays clean.

Good news indeed.

Even though it’s in the front of fret 2 it still sounds OK.

Yes sus chords are usually just one beat or so for a change is harmony. Once you start using the you may find your pinky will automatically start moving closer to the 3rd fret on its own. But don’t lose sleep over it if it doesn’t happen. One of the misteries of playing music is your hand usually gets it once you quit trying.

Alright, I have seen this post in here, or something close to it about 4 or 5 times and it doesn’t seem anyone has answered this. The answer is, work on your finger stretching exercises and it will come around! I promise!!

The beginner’s finger stretch is where to start.

This could take some time, so be patient with yourself.

Rock on!

Darren

1 Like

I do this at nearly all practice sessions all the way up to fret 1. Fingers in a line are not the problem. The problem is the particular fingering. 2/3/4 id about impossible but using 1/2/4 works.

I shall probably leave this for a while :slight_smile:

Stuart are you talking finger stretches in adjacent frets eg 5678 ? The best one for extra pinkie reach is 1-23-4. For example index on 5th middle on 7th ring on 8th pinkie on 10th. That will do the trick but you may have to start at the 9th (or higher) to begin with. 9 - 11 12 - 14 e to E to e. Focus on the stretch not the speed. Stay in one position until it becomes comfortable before moving 1 fret towards the nut.
Wash rinse repeat.
:sunglasses:

I am.

Thanks. I do this occasionally. I should probably add it to my practice warm up .