Beginner's safe space

@Bart_981 Bravo and congrats, Bart, you are doing well. Smooth strumming, keeping time, clean chords and changes. Maybe a couple of moments of hesitation in the strumming when changing chords in FWIW, hiccups in What’s Up. If you notice that happening when you watch back then it is worth slowing the tempo down to the point where you can make changes and keep the strumming hand moving. Keep on keeping on!

3 Likes

Thank you for the feedback @DavidP . I started lessons in beginners GR2 but I’ll continue to play songs from GR1 to improve them.

2 Likes

Very nicely done, Ted. Glad to see you have decided to pick your guitar back up.

Welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some good work there, Bart. Clean changes and smooth strumming. Plenty to be pleased with.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: First steps at recording myself - Iron Maiden & Metallica - feedback welcome

7 posts were split to a new topic: How do I record myself / where can I host my recordings online to share in the Community

Awesome job, especially for a first attempt on a new song! Also great to see another lefty on the site. Keep up the great work.

Nice! Congrat’s on your first video I’m still trying to find time to record one. Your strumming on What’s Up? is really good; you nail the feeling of the song right from the start. Looking forward to seeing your next video (and to record my first :wink:) :slight_smile:

1 Like

So finally, here it is - my first recording. Smashing Pumpkins, ‘Tonight Tonight’. I reduced the speed to 90% in the app (love the “guitareoki” part of the app!) There are a few mistakes here and there, especially in the parts with individual string picking. I tried my best not to look down at my hands too much. It was great fun, and I was actually surprised how well it went. After all, have only been playing since August. I ended up suing a Youtube link despite being hesitant about it - (Thanks, David! :smiley:).

13 Likes

Jesper

Really enjoyed your rendition, both the rhythm and the picking. You kept time really well too and that tempo minimised the impact of any mistakes. Your guitar has a good sound. I play acoustic so have no idea how difficult it might be to casually move across the different pick-ups. Your style seemed confident and relaxed.

Brian

Thanks for sharing the video, Jesper :slightly_smiling_face:

You have a lot to be proud of :slightly_smiling_face: Casually changing from strumming to picking? Clean chords and smooth chord changes? Keeping up the rhythm that well throughout the song? Casually changing the sound resp. tone towards the end? :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s easy to notice that you have practiced playing this song a lot.

@BVNC Bravo and congrats, Jesper. You are making excellent progress and doing well with some challenging techniques.

Next time I suggest you create a Topic in Audio-Video Of You Playing rather than a reply in this Topic. Your level is more than sufficient, you have no cause for concern.

@beejay56 Thanks, Brian! I played everything with the bridge pickup only, but changed the guitar volume for the different parts of the song to increase the amount of overdrive “crunch” in the second half of the song, and to have a cleaner tone for the picking parts - and for me, that is pretty far from casual :rofl:. Glad I managed to make look relatively smooth.

@DavidP Thanks for the kind words, David! Not sure I’m ready to take of the training wheels just yet, but let’s see… :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, @JokuMuu !
I find the app really helps keeping the rhythm throughout the song. Works fine with the suggested edit to embed the video :+1:

1 Like

Hi Jesper,
Congratulations on your first video :partying_face: :sunglasses:… that’s a big thing and great that you chose YouTube and not just audio because most of us don’t listen to it or don’t listen to it after the first one or two times, because as far as I’m concerned If I want to listen to a song, I put on something by professional musicians, the great pleasure of listening to music here is watching it and sometimes helping to improve where possible… So :clap: :clap: :clap: :sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting, Jesper.

That was really well played. The picking was great and your timing looked spot on too. Nice one on the guitar.

This is one you can be really pleased with.

1 Like

Thanks! :smiley:

Wow, this is a proper play-along rendition, and for someone who has only been playing for a few months, this is really excellent.
I hope you’ve now got the bug to do loads more !!
cheers
Ruaridh

1 Like

Hello Jesper, oh wow, that’s a really impressive AVOYP-debut :partying_face::bouquet::clap:!!
I can’t believe, you’ve just started few months ago?! You’ve made great progress.
Keep on doing what you’re doing :+1:.

1 Like

Hola everyone
I hope I’m posting in the right place
This is the first recording I’ve ever shared
I’d be interested to know if you think it’s ready for my first local open mic night.

12 Likes